Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pills
Hubhub
Neophyte
Member # 42781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubhub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'll cut to the chase right away [Smile]

After hearing how women with larger oestrogen levels are considered to be more attractive and how those hormones affect how we look (our breasts, but also our face, and general appeareance) I got curious and started to wonder if there are any miracle pills that make me more feminine.

And lo and behold, they exist, and I'm really interested in them. Not just cause they'd make me more attractive but also because they would increase my libido (they're said to increase natural hormone levels that affect breastgrowth and libido, but tons of other stuff as well), and that's another thing I was looking for (two birds with one stone). So far I've only ever been really sexually attracted to one guy in my entire life (and this happened little over one year ago, when I was... 20) and he didn't feel the same about me. What it boils down to is that I've never had sex and I'm afraid due to my "pickyness", or simply my inability to get sexually attracted to someone else like a normal person is going to stand in the way of my own development and happiness, and that one day I'll regret not doing what I'm not doing now.

And, I know that not having a relationship is better than having one with the wrong person, but nobody has ever said that being single is better than being together with the right person, because I simply can't comprehend how that can be true. Maybe because I dont have any experience of my own and have this glorified idea of relationships, but it's something I want to find out rather than just reading about it.

Anyway. I suppose I have a lot more issues than when I originally made this topic. I just wanted to know if those pills were safe and... well, if they're real and actually work.

I hope this doesn't come across as advertising, by the way. I removed the link I included first just in case, I could include it again if its needed or anything.

Posts: 7 | From: US | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chances are, you're dealing with a sham.

But we're happy to help you research that, so why don't you go ahead and either share the ingredients or show us the link and we can look together.

And regardless, we can talk more about the issues you brought up, too, and how estrogen or a pill isn't likely to address those in the first place, or be some kind of magic fix. Gender identity is about way more than hormones, as is sexual desire/libido.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hubhub
Neophyte
Member # 42781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubhub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your fast reply

This was the site I found: http://www.bountifulbreast.com/faq.html

I'd like to hear your thoughts on those other issues as well. If you need more details I'd be happy to give them to you.

Posts: 7 | From: US | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, you found one of a million "miracle" pills that aren't.

First clue? No list of actual ingredients. I'd love to consider them so you could know for sure if they work or don't, but since, like viable medications do, they don't list them, we don't get to do that. And of course we don't: it'd be too easy to show up that they're likely a crock.

Next? No peer-reviewed studies. "No clinical studies have been done proving the effectiveness of Bountiful Breast®." This is not minor information: it's very important and one of the easiest ways to know something is bunk.

Hilariously, one section of text at that site tries to basically talk a buyer out of thinking study matters with this:

quote:
When analyzing claims made by dietary supplement companies selling breast pills beware of claims of "studies." None of these companies list who did the study, any details of the study and refuse to provide any information when asked for it. If you cannot verify a study was done, it most likely was not.
It'd be amusing if it wasn't so slimy. I also love this:

quote:
We have no plans to ever conduct a clinical study as it is cost prohibitive to get enough results and data that would satisfy the requirements of making a study claim.
With what they're charging for the pills (which is outrageous), lord knows they could afford it. But companies like this don't have to bother, because people will still buy snake oil if it sounds like their miracle, sadly.

You might also want to note that their resources page also links to more money-generating stuff for them and more bunk.

In a word, it's very clear that if you toss your cash at this, you may as well be burning it. Obviously, your call, but I doubt any medication is the solution to the issues you're grappling with, and certainly not this stuff.

I have to finish making dinner, but if you want to move into talking about the real issues at root of all this that have you willing to consider things like this, I can come back in an hour or two.

But if we're going to, I think it might be helpful for you to explain to me what you even mean by "make me more feminine." Do you feel like your gender identity or sense of gender is causing problems for you? And if you haven't found many people you're attracted to yet, can I ask why you think feeling more "feminine," whatever that means to you, might change that?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarHallie
Activist
Member # 27531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarHallie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubhub,

This website makes no mention of any FDA approval or of any double-blind, placebo- controlled studies to prove its effectiveness (or safety, for that matter). I would be very wary of taking a non-FDA-approved hormone supplement (especially for aesthetic reasons) that promotes any sort of accelerated tissue growth. High doses of hormones have been associated with a higher risk of breast cancer. If you'd like, I can find you relevant scientific literature to support this statement.

In the meantime, we have a really cool thread on breasts that you should check out!

I Love My Breasts, Yes I Do, I Love My Breasts, How About You?

It's one of my personal favorites! [Smile]

--------------------
"Sex without love is an empty experience, but as empty experiences go, it's one of the best."
-Woody Allen

Posts: 230 | From: California, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hubhub
Neophyte
Member # 42781

Thanks. I hadn't read through the entire site yet, but this is crystal-clear information. Hey, at least they're not lying about it.

I'm actually not thát unhappy with my body, it's just that all of a sudden there seemed to be an opportunity to make it a bit more attractive, and it looked tempting. It's like being given plastic surgery for free (or a lower fee), only I wouldn't have to go through the actual surgery to get the results. But I guess this prove once again that things that look too good to be true, most of the time aren't true.

What I meant with them making me more feminine means pretty much just that: increasing feminine features (softer facial features, bigger breasts, that kind of stuff). It's not that I think I'm ugly, but there's room for improvement, you know?

I figured that an increased libido would make it easier for me to get sexually attracted to someone else, cause hormones play a part in that as well :/

[ 05-21-2009, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: Hubhub ]

Heather
Member # 3

Well, hormones are certainly part of sexual attraction, but only one part of many (and female hormones aren't actually the big libido driver chemically anyway, that's testosterone). As well, do you have a hormonal imbalance? If not, it doesn't make sense to think you need some kind of hormonal medication, nor that your lack of attraction to others so far is about hormones.

I think it might also be worthwhile to really think about what "more feminine" means. To who? By whose standards and by whose definition? Women with small breasts are just as female as women with larger breasts, and all of our features vary.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Hubhub
Neophyte
Member # 42781

I don't know if I have a hormonal imbalance, actually. Or if something's wrong with my hormones at all (them being high/low). I never had that checked out because I guess it wasn't really needed, everything's pretty much in working condition.

I guess I just want to look better for myself? :/
I know I'm female but what I meant with feminine is just having softer features, and looking more curvy.

Heather
Member # 3

So, howabout perhaps re-evaluating how you define what "feminine" is?

In other words, some of why you feel like those things are about "looking better" might be because your definition of feminine is limited, or isn't leaving enough room for the multitude of ways women -- including yourself -- can look.

I hear any of us wanting to look our best for ourselves. But at the same time, if it's really for ourselves, and not to meet some sort of arbitrary ideal, shouldn't looking better for ourselves be about looking our best for who we are, and what we actually look like?

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Hubhub
Neophyte
Member # 42781

That gave me some stuff to think about. And I think you could be right.
It's funny, though. I never had any body or self-image issues (well, not recently, anyway) until I learned about these "miracle" pills. Or maybe its because of learning about those pills that I opened some kind of Pandora's box, that I'll have to try and close again.

I have to say though, that I've read some of the articles on this site before, including the ones about our body and what beauty really is, and they've helped me quite a lot in the past. I also think you're doing a wonderful job with the help you're providing, and not just on this site but also out there in the real world. (I don't know how many times you get to hear this, but I guess hearing it a few times too many wont hurt)

[ 05-23-2009, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Hubhub ]

Heather
Member # 3

I think it's good to recognize that no matter how savvy about media or marketing, how smart, how educated, how together any of us are, it's pretty unlikely any of us are immune to the effects of that stuff on our self-image.

Beyond the simple fact of products like that, the text they use to sell it is pretty intense stuff: usually loads of people talking about how good their bodies weren't before, how AMAZING their whole lives have become after use, etc. Even when you bear in mind that the people selling the stuff are usually the ones writing that text, it can still get under a person's skin.

My own way of managing that has been to just avoid this kind of stuff as much as I can: to avoid the women's mags, the mainstream TV, the ads (as much as I can), the whole lot of it. It's toxic, and when we take toxins in, we're bound to get toxed, you know?

And thanks for the kudos! [Smile]

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.