Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Mild Masochism?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mild Masochism?
Bragorien
Activist
Member # 37490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bragorien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this bad?
I get really turned on by mild pain. If I am feeling "in the mood" as it were, my boyfriend doesn't have to so much as breathe near me and I am totally turned on.
I have a bit of a thing for hickeys: I really like the way they feel and I am worried taht I may have a problem. I ask my boyfriend to scratch me when we are kissing and i find it really on-turning.
Do I havew a problem here?
He is scared to hurt me, but we have discovered we both have similar feelings. We like the strange pain but pleasure.
I suppose at least we share our fetish... [Razz]
Help? Opinions?

--------------------
"I made a resolution: Dance, like nobody's watching. Which I do... with the curtains closed - in case anybody's watching!"

Posts: 74 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tricky thing about this -- any question like this -- is navigating where it is exactly that pleasure ends and pain begins or vice-versa. In other words, the line between them tends to be murky and often bleed over, and additionally, people tend to have sensory thresholds that vary widely.

Here's the big question: is your boyfriend meaning to do you harm? Doesn't sound like it. Is this something you're negotiating? Are you leaving room for him to opt out if he doesn't want to do any of this, and is there room for you to nix any of this at any given time? If so, and you both feel good about it, it feels good, and you're also being smart about safety issues when they're pertinent, then I think the only questions you're left with about if it's "bad" or not are about your own unique set of ethics and values.

Know what I mean?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bragorien
Activist
Member # 37490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bragorien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We both really don't want to hurt one another, and I know he worries, as I do. He assures me that I'm not crazy/bad. And I guess if we both feel the same way we are at least crazy/bad together. [Razz]
I'll talk a little more with him about it. I totally see where you're coming from. Neither of us want to hurt each other, but we also want each other to enjoy things. It's a complicated situation.
Thanks [Smile]
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"I made a resolution: Dance, like nobody's watching. Which I do... with the curtains closed - in case anybody's watching!"

Posts: 74 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idir
Activist
Member # 41176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm a masochist by that definition, too.

--------------------
I know there is an over the rainbow for me.

Posts: 84 | From: Algeria | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "masochism" is a really tricky word, actually, and one that isn't always apt for a lot of people when it comes to sex.

I'm actually not hearing the OP describe masochism as I understand it, for instance, because the standard definition tends to be sexual pleasure obtained from receiving punishment, humiliation, or pain. I certainly don't hear any elements of the first two, and pain, again, is a tough thing to separate from pleasure since it's not an easy universal per which is which, and the edges, as I said, do tend to bleed into one another.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotProudToBeUnsure
Neophyte
Member # 42699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotProudToBeUnsure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also a masochist, but I must admit, it is more than mild pain. Moderate pain is less of a turn-on, but still a turn-on. The pain line is when I have lost chunks of flesh or there is permanent damage, that's where it gets bad, the rest is pleasure. I guess that makes me a picky masochist. You sound normal to me. [Smile]

--------------------
When the world frowns at you, what do you do? Stand Strong.

Posts: 6 | From: A messed up world | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idir
Activist
Member # 41176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, but partners can still set their own limits (safewords, anyone?) so that masochism doens't get too dangerous...
Right?

--------------------
I know there is an over the rainbow for me.

Posts: 84 | From: Algeria | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, absolutely. A safe word is always a good idea, along with a lot of communication in and out of the bedroom so that both partners know they're on the same page.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bragorien
Activist
Member # 37490

What do you mean a safeword? Like a word to say when things go too far or far enough?

LIke my friend says "Dingleberries" if I am going too far in teasingher or with an inside joke...

Thanks for the replied by the way.

I am beginning to think that there is a little bit of masochism in everyone, and just some people more than otehrs. And I s'pose some people deny it totally and others just accept, yes, I am masochistic. [Razz]

--------------------

goodmagpie
Neophyte
Member # 42795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goodmagpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's a safeword. I think it's probably a case of talk it over with each other, and if you're OK with the fact mild pain turns you on and so is he, and you've got limits and stuff, then it seems to be fine; you seem reasonably at ease with the whole thing, as far as I can tell.
Posts: 23 | From: UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that assumption that there's a "little bit of masochism in everyone" isn't a safe one to make, and it's quite a generalization. Because what, three other people have expressed that they're also at least a bit masochistic, this means everyone is? That's like saying "I know three people who like asparagus! This probably means that everyone likes asparagus at least a little bit, even if they deny it." And let me tell you, I hate asparagus.

For example, I'm not a masochist. Not even a little bit. I don't feel that masochists are terrible people and that it's bad, so it's not that I'm in denial -- if I were one, I'd admit it. I'm honest to myself and to others about myself, I think denying a part of who you are isn't a good thing to do. But I'm not a masochist, even a teeny bit. I don't find pain/humiliation/any of the definitions arousing at all, in fact I find it to be a bit of a turn-off, myself. So no, not everyone is even at least a little bit masochistic.

Just something for you to keep in mind [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.