Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » still changing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: still changing?
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 8 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is kind of a body weight issue, and I realize it's going to sound like whining to a lot of people, but this is bothering me that it's bothering me, and I just wanted to throw it out there and see what people think.

So I'm a sophomore in college, and I've always been a very willowy kid. I ate terribly and didn't exercise in high school and barely ever broke 120 pounds; I always assumed I just had a really high metabolism or something. I started working out in college and gained some muscle mass weight (to about 135), but didn't really change my body shape or size at all. But in the past couple of weeks, I've noticed my clothes fitting very differently, and when I went to the health center for a respiratory infection, my weight was at 150.

(And for a reality check- I *know* these numbers are small. I know I'm not overweight, or fat, or anything demeaning. But it's still shocking, in a matter of proportions: over two years, I added a quarter again of my weight.)

I'm not obsessive about my body. I obviously don't even check a scale more than once every couple of months. But it makes me incredibly sad that I can't wear some of these clothes that are incredibly special to me (inherited from my mother, gifts from friends, etc.), and now I just keep catching myself casting a critical and demeaning eye over the (tiny!) lump of fat on my belly. I don't like feeling this way about myself. I don't really know what to change, either; I eat very healthily now and work out fairly regularly. Am I just finally going through a puberty-end type body change? Did my metabolism hit the brakes? I'd just like to have some idea of what's going on here, and a little bit of reassurance that it's okay to be a little bit sad.

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a lot of friends who gain significant amount of weight in the end of teens/early twenties range. I think it's totally normal for your body to adjust to a new baseline weight when you're this age.

If you find that you continue to gain weight rapidly without any lifestyle changes, it might be worth checking with a doctor to see if there's some type of medical problem (like a thyroid issue) underlying it. But barring a gain of a large amount of weight very quickly (I'm talking about 10 pounds in a month of faster), I'd say it's likely just a natural change.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.