Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Mixing mental disorders

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mixing mental disorders
vixenchic42
Neophyte
Member # 5972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vixenchic42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a quick question, and maybe there is no answer, but if a person with anxiety and ocd, and a person with bipolar disorder were to have a baby, what are the chances that the baby will be messed up too? And if we're both messed up, but we can live with our issues, presumably, if the baby had problems, it would be workable, right? We're not planning on getting pregnant any time soon, but definitely sometime in the future [Big Grin]

I'm just curious as to what the risks for us are.

Thank you!

Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is strong evidence to SUGGEST that disorders like OCD and severe anxiety are genetically linked, but there has not been a gene identified for those disorders. There is also a large argument that environmental stresses can cause anxiety and OCD. The same goes with bipolar disorder. Generally, those who are bipolar largely have a family history of it. BUT, that doesn't mean that a person with a family history will have bipolar disorder.

So, it's a lot more complicated than just "I have X, he has Y, what will our children be like?"

You could presumably have a child that is perfectly healthy without any of the above disorders. It may not be a bad idea to consult a geneticist before trying to get pregnant, just to fine out more information.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJT
Assistant Director
Member # 40442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We never really know what our kids are going to look like...even genetics are not always exact and, as Abbie said, there are a lot of ideas about genetic links to various mental illnesses but no real definitive answers.

The bigger concern which could be a part of it would be to find out from your doctor if any medications you may be taking--if you are taking any--are ones that you can continue during pregnancy, or should be taking if you are trying to get pregnant (whenever). That might be an important conversation to have if medications are a part of your management, such that you can know what to expect.

There's a lot that can be done for anxiety and OCD, and also bipolar that involve more talk therapy and behavioral stuff to help you manage the symptoms. So even if your medications cannot be continued during pregnancy, there are other options.

I think the best we can do for our future kids is to be aware of our issues and willing to be able to put in the work to create as much stability as possible. Nobody is perfect, and certainly having a diagnosis does not make you inherently less fit, or say that you should not have children. There is a lot to be said for environment and having supports for yourself in place!

But if you are considering pregnancy I'd definitely mention it to your doctor so that if medications are involved you can know which are safe and which might be contraindicated.

Posts: 384 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idir
Activist
Member # 41176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"even genetics are not always exact."
Amen.
The vast majority of Humanity's DNA is about 99% the same in everyone, but we're still totally different from eachother, both physically and psychologically. It's because every cell processes the data differently.

Like, if you provided different workers the same buildings, they ain't gonna build the same houses with them, are they?

But, it's still better to see with your physician, though.

--------------------
I know there is an over the rainbow for me.

Posts: 84 | From: Algeria | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.