Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Whats the easiest way to remove a tampon?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats the easiest way to remove a tampon?
fun610
Neophyte
Member # 40344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fun610     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive used them before but only because i had to. and my p.e. class is doing a swimming unit soon and i dont want to do make-ups. and as we are starting the unit ill be getting my period.
i used them for last semesters swimming unit. and it hurt alot when i took them out. like an hour after i had taken it out it still hurt down there.
how can i avoid this pain? i would really like to use them during the summer but i just hate taking them out! so please and tips?
thanks!

Posts: 20 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, well first of all make sure you're using the right type of tampon. You should use the smallest one that can hold your flow. Second, make sure the tampon is full before you try to take it out. This means that if you put it in and swim for an hour, you probably don't want to take it out right after swimming. Menstrual fluids can be a good lubricant, but they need to fill the entire tampon in order for them to work as a lubricant in this situation. That being said, don't leave in the tampon longer than the guidelines say. Third, make sure you really, really are relaxed when you're taking them out. Are you trying to rush to get it out and then go to class? If so, see if you can get a bathroom pass from your teacher the next period and take care of it then. Or, wait until lunch or you get home from school (as long as you don't leave it in too long, of course). Follow the directions in the box in terms of relaxing your pelvic muscles, putting a leg up, etc. I hope this helps a little!
Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fun610
Neophyte
Member # 40344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fun610     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i am using the smallest one. and each class is 100 min. i normally take it out after school. so thats 200 min or 3 hrs and 50 min. (including lunch) so i think thats enuff time to have it in. and i try to be relaxed but i dont like tampons so i do rush it. and if i wait til im home then it would be too long since its a 40 min walk home. (i live far from my school)
Posts: 20 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amychaos
Activist
Member # 37929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amychaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's not too long is it? o:
my tampons say 4-8hours on the box.
i usually put mine in before school 8.00am, change it at dinner 12.20pm, and then after school at about 5.30pm.

[ 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: amychaos ]

Posts: 116 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as time limitations are concerned, I think you'd be perfectly fine even if you didnt remove it before you left to go home. That would only be about 4 and a half hours, and though depending on the heaviness of your flow, tampons are not a worry unless left in for more than 6 or 8 hours. Rushing it doesn't help, but it would also probably be helpful to not worry about the removal hurting, because even mentally thinking that can make your body tense up, which would make it more painful than it needs to be also. For me, the main thing that causes pain is if I remove it before it is fully saturated, so try to make sure it is, before you try to take it out. ~smiley
Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can also help to grip very high up on the string. Or, once you've gotten it partially out, to grip the actual tampon. I find I have more control removing it that way.

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.