Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » any help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: any help?
amychaos
Activist
Member # 37929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amychaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this isnt a sex related question, but I don't know any other sites that I can get an expert answer from.

Okay so, for a while now, i've had a rly flaky scalp, i stopped straightening my hair so much because i thought the heat may be dehydrating my scalp. I never used to have this problem. I have a sensitive scalp, quite often i get sores and scabs which are a bit uncomfortable at times.

It's rly starting to bother me, coz it seems that whenever i move my hair a load of white falls off, which is embarrassing coz i have to wear a black cardigan for school.

I use T-Gel shampoo which works for my dad, he has psoriasis on his legs and gets bad dandruff, but it doesnt seem to do anything for me.

could i have a mild form of his psoriasis?
does anyone know of any good shampoos or treatments?
I haven't been to a doctor about it yet.

Posts: 116 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using the T-Gel shampoo everyday? Also, how often are you washing your hair?

I'd start by only washing your hair every other day at most. Too much washing can be really drying to your hair and your scalp.

Also, you might try getting a good, natural shampoo & conditioner. With all of the chemicals and whatnot in many of the products we use today, it's easy to become sensitive to them. I like Lush's products, though they are a bit pricey. When you are washing your hair, make sure you're conditioning really well and letting the conditioner sit for several minutes before you rinse. You also might try rinsing your hair with cold water (as cool as you can stand it) right before you get out of the shower.

If none of that seems to solve your problem, I'd suggest considering seeing a doctor (mostly because you say you're actually having sores on your head). You want to make sure that this is not an allergic reaction or something else going on. While medicated shampoos are great and help lots of people, if you don't actually have a problem that requires that type of shampoo, it can make the problem worse rather than better.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jUNIE
Neophyte
Member # 42268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jUNIE         Edit/Delete Post 
I have long hair and often blow-dry it, and I used to have a very similar problem from the heat, although I didn't have large visible dandruff so much as an extremely itchy scalp.

I simply stopped shampooing my hair every day, and now my head is back to normal. I still shower every day, get my hair wet, and even condition it, but only shampoo every other day or every third day. If I feel my scalp is particularly dry, I try to drink a lot of water and use one of those 2-in-1 combo shampoo-conditioners as well as regular conditoner.

I also suffered from a 'cradle-cap' type of dandruff a few years back, probably from product build up, and I got rid of it with Selsun Blue, and by using a clarifying shampoo and then massaging an alcohol-free conditioner into my scalp with a pick, to break up the layer of dead skin cells.

Posts: 2 | From: Travelling | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.