Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Extremely irregular periods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Extremely irregular periods
nonlinear
Activist
Member # 41436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonlinear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried to bring this up to my doctor before, but my mom was in the room and really minimized what I was trying to say, so my doctor ignored it last time. I have really irregular periods. I got my first period around age 13 or 14. At one point in my life it was fairly regular, with some occasional irregularities (I understand that this can be normal at first) but in the past year I've had two periods: about ten months of amenorrhea (but no weight change - and I am at a healthy weight-, elevated level of stress, or level of physical activity) and then two periods spaced exactly a month apart, which I consider a normal menstrual period. This month I'm "late" again-- so far by a bit over a week but I don't know if I should even consider it late, since I was so irregular in the past. However, I technically had a "normal" menstrual period for my last two periods... I got spotting for the past two days without getting my period, which is unusual for me because usually I get spotting for half a day and then I get my actual period regardless of how regular it is.
Nothing that stressful has happened to me, and again, my weight/exercise/eating/sleeping is fine. What should I make of it? I've told my mom before but she dismisses it as well. Should I just ignore it? I am physically healthy otherwise. I don't think I am pregnant; I haven't had intercourse although last week I did engage in some activity that would pose a "low" risk of pregnancy (... cuddling without clothes on. Plus we did have a condom in case). As for other signs of pregnancy (which I have been researching), I don't think I fit very many of them. I don't even have sore breasts, which generally means I am not going to get my period and also that I'm probably not pregnant (please correct me if I am wrong). What's more, the physical activity took place during what would have been my less fertile part of my cycle (if it was a regular cycle), so... yeah.
I've already read the helpful page "Dude, Where's My Period," but I was wondering if there was anything I should know specific to my case. Should I take a pregnancy test anyway? Should I call my doctor now, or wait until my annual checkup in June? Thanks for your help!

[ 02-09-2009, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: nonlinear ]

Posts: 79 | From: earth | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonlinear
Activist
Member # 41436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonlinear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this something I should be concerned about? Thanks [Smile]
Posts: 79 | From: earth | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry we seemed to have missed your post. [Smile]

May I ask how long you have been having your period for ? Because it's not unusual in the 5 years or so following your first period to deal with some irregularities.

I'm wondering, even if you do chart your cycle, though, how you can tell that you are around a week late for your period if your cycle is being very irregular ?

As for the dry sex you've engaged in without clothes on, how much of a risk you had depends on whether or not there was direct genital to genital skin contact involved and if semen came into contact with your genitals. Your risk would be low to moderate from this situation depending on those factors above. You said though that you did have a condom in case, do you mean that a condom was worn during the entire time you were having dry sex ?

Here, you might want to check this out:
Pregnancy risk assessment: Dry sex

There aren't much pregnancy signs this early on and those aren't very accurate so the only way pretty much to tell whether or not you are pregnant accuratly is to take a pregnancy test, which you can do 10-14 days after your risk or on the first day of a missed period if you're worried that you might be pregnant.

You can also wait to see if the spotting turns into what looks like a normal period. If so, then it would be highly unlikely for you to be pregnant since you cannot have a period and be pregnant at the same time.

I think it might also be a good idea to discuss your irregular cycle with your GYN regardless, especially if you happen sometimes to go a very long time without a period. If your mom dismisses everything that is happening, then you might want to think about scheduling an appointment alone with your GYN without your mom, if you feel like this might be the best option.

[ 02-12-2009, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonlinear
Activist
Member # 41436

I've had my period for about four years.
My spotting didn't turn into a period, which has never happened before-- every time I get spotting, I get my period. Also, my boobs have been sore for an abnormally long period of time. (Usually they get sore, but only for about a day or two at most before I get my period. Now they've been sore for about five days...) I think this is strange. Should I take a test anyway?

-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really doesn't sound like you had much of a pregnancy risk -- semen has to come into contact with your vulva for there to be a risk and it doesn't sound like that happened. If I misunderstood, or if it would give you some peace of mind, by all means take the test, but I don't think it's necessary.

Your periods are quite irregular and I do think it's worth talking to your doctor about. Even just giving your doctor a call to tell her/him that things have not improved and ask if s/he thinks you need to come in would be a good start. You could also mention that you'd prefer it if your mother didn't come into the actual exam with you.

--------------------
I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns. --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonlinear
Activist
Member # 41436

I don't think I was pregnant, but for some reason I got my... what I think was my period yesterday, and it was exceptionally heavy and painful. I've never had anything so painful. Actually, I've never really had cramps before this. But yesterday, I broke out in a sweat and my abdomen and back really hurt. My period was also exceptionally ... clumpy (dark red clumps - I guess a lot of tissue was there), and then suddenly there was a lot of water, or clear discharge as well, which didn't mix with the blood but I could see it in there. I usually do get a few clumps of tissue, but I don't ever get clumps this large or even this many clumps. Anyway, there was so much blood that even after I flushed the toilet there was still blood in there.
I feel okay now though. But is that something to be concerned about? Is there any chance that it could be a ... miscarriage, even though I was never confirmed pregnant to begin with? Please help...

[ 03-07-2009, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: nonlinear ]

nonlinear
Activist
Member # 41436

Um, I also have a fever (around 100 degrees F) and the bleeding hasn't stopped... it's really heavy, and normally my periods end in three days. I feel tired. It's not toxic shock syndrome; I don't use tampons. Is this something I should tell my parents? I don't want them to worry if it's nothing/normal.

[ 03-08-2009, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: nonlinear ]

-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is time to tell your parents and get to see a doctor immediately.

[ 03-08-2009, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: -Jill ]

--------------------
I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns. --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.