Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » embarassing - wiping

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: embarassing - wiping
bennysurf
Neophyte
Member # 42109

Icon 11 posted      Profile for bennysurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, so I feel like this is the most embarassing thing ever, bc I'm 19 but its like, ok, some things you are taught when you're little and maybe you pick up a bad habit and don't know any better and 15 years later...

I'm not sure I wipe properly after going to the bathroom. For a long while now, I've always been prone to what I think I've learned (from reading on the internet) to be small anal fissures, like from wiping too much or too hard maybe. I searched around a lot, and all anyone talks about is do you wipe front to back or back to front, sitting/standing, etc., but that doesn't mention how you actually do it.

I feel like if you just wipe it like I mean like you're wiping down a countertop, or swiping a credit card, idk, that cleans the surface ok. But justttt barely below the surface, like right inside the anus opening, there's a lot more fecal matter that you cant get without kinda digging in a little bit. Not like jamming your finger up there with the toilet paper or moist wipes obviously, but I mean just trying to rub the inside clean just below the surface. But I think this is what has caused irritation and possibly small fissures. But now i've been doing it so long that if I don't do it, I'm paranoid that I'm unclean and walking around with poop just barely hidden just inside. But is that the accepted norm? Do I just have to realize that yea most people have poop just barely inside their anus, but since their anus is closed, no big deal? How do people wipe? I know the rectum supposedly doesn't store fecal matter in large quantities, but I mean right before where it comes out of the anus, not to be gross I'm so sorry but I mean if you spread the anus a bit instead of just wiping over a closed up anus... ughh, anyway. So embarassing, but I mean I wonder if I'm the only one with this question and it's just, how can you go and ask somebody how to wipe when you're 19, they'll think you haven't been doing it your whole life. Thanks.

Posts: 5 | From: U.S. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to clean inside the opening of your anus to do the job. In fact, that can actually do more damage/cause more irritation. The whole point of wiping your bottom is, yes, for cleanliness purposes, but also because fecal matter that sits on the skin can cause irritation, sores, etc.

But there's no need to go as far as you're going.

And don't be embarrassed. I don't think you'll find anyone here, users or staff, that doesn't think something they do is mortifying or weird. We all have habits, good and bad.

You're not unclean if you don't scour your anal area; the most important part is cleaning the area between your buttocks, as that's where the most irritation can occur.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bennysurf
Neophyte
Member # 42109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bennysurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for responding. I was kinda wondering if anyone else had input too? Like, not that I don't take what you say as truth, but like for peace of mind that maybe I'm not the only one who has ever struggled with this? Or further confirmation that yes, I am indeed over-wiping and over-thinking compared to what everyone else does lol.

But yea, thanks I appreciate the response!

Posts: 5 | From: U.S. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paper towel
Activist
Member # 39124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paper towel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, I too am a vigorous wiper and know EXACTLY what you're talking about.
Posts: 52 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idir
Activist
Member # 41176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're definitively NOT alone.
I'm always paranoid about not cleaning enough, especially the inside, and I even end up with some blood stains from time to time...
I never really "learned" how exactly to do it either. Mainly because in the country where I'm from, most people use their left hand [Eek!]
And water.

--------------------
I know there is an over the rainbow for me.

Posts: 84 | From: Algeria | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bennysurf
Neophyte
Member # 42109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bennysurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the responses guys. Anybody else have any input on this, one way or another? I'm trying to change my habits a bit and not feel like I'm being unclean just because I'm not going crazy down there and being paranoid.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, when wiping, you just need to wipe externally.

Then, when you bathe or shower and you're cleaning around your anus, you can either just gently -- and just barely -- slide your finger a little inside with soap and water, or put a tiny with of your washcloth just inside by exerting some gentle pressure.

And that really is it. Parts of the rectum are going to contain trace amounts of fecal matter sometimes, but that's okay: that's part of what it's there for.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a meticulous wiper! (We should form a club with T-shirts and novelty hats in the shape of toilets.) I use wet wipes every time to make sure I'm properly clean and I go slightly inside my rectum, but only like about a centimeter (less I think) beyond the farthest out part of the anus, all of which I'm saying in the interests of assuring you you aren't the only one. I seriously hate the idea of getting any fecal matter on my bathing sponge or fingers, so I'd rather wipe it all off before I get in the shower (I don't have an issue with anal intercourse or with fingering a partner anally if I was wearing a latex glove, I might even be happy to try analingus if there was a dental dam used, but actually coming in contact with feces for more than about five seconds during which time I shall go to somewhere that has handwashing facilities is thoroughly unappealing to me). Also I always wipe from front to back, as I'm quite certain the other way is unhygenic.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragontamer
Neophyte
Member # 41051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragontamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I just give it a brief once-over (front to back) and keep checking the loo-roll. When the loo roll's clean I stop.

I'd say if you're worried then wet-wipes are a good idea.

[ 03-17-2009, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Dragontamer ]

Posts: 18 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bennysurf
Neophyte
Member # 42109

Well I'm glad I am not alone! Thanks for the replies. I must say I've maybe relaxed my standards a bit, so to speak, and for the most part I've experienced less in the way of abrasions or fissure type pain. Hopefully all the soreness goes away completely and I can just get to a point where I can wipe, feel clean, and not hurt myself while doing it lol.

I've also found that part of my problem may have been that I was not drying completely - like if I used wet wipes, or even applied a small bit of lubriderm lotion or vitamin E afterwards. I wonder if being not totally baby powder dry can lead to weakening the tissue and making it easier to get fissures? Does this make any sense? Thanks!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.