Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » diva cup question.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: diva cup question.
AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 5 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could my hymen get in the way of putting a diva cup in?

--------------------
"think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f***ing sharp knife to it."
- banksy

Posts: 58 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would really depend on the state of your hymen.

In the event you have a resilient hymen with very small openings, yes, but that's pretty rare. If not, probably not. Most hymens in women of age to menstruate really are pretty thin, frilly tissue that surrounds the vaginal opening and doesn't create a barrier with things like this.

Any trouble using tampons these days, or do those seem to be doing okay when it comes to inserting them?

[ 01-14-2009, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i have a little trouble using tampons.
i tried to take one out once and it got it caught in a piece of skin (which i'm assuming was my hymen...) and it hurt like hell and i'm very careful when taking them out now, i have to hold one side of my vagina open, blah blah..
maybe i ripped something? is that even possible?
when i tried to put the diva cup in, i actually got it in halfway, just the end was sticking out. i just couldn't get it in any further then that, it hurt way too much.

(thanks for the fast reply!)

--------------------
"think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f***ing sharp knife to it."
- banksy

Posts: 58 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the hymen, when it is present, is right at the vaginal opening, so it doesn't sound to me like that would have been the issue with you not putting it all the way in. (As well, what happened with that tampon once may or may not have been about a hymen: it could have just gotten lodged in a weird way behind the tissue of your vaginal opening.)

Did you fold the top when you put it in, and kind of keep your fingers around the bottom keeping it folded while you pushed it upwards? Did you use some lube to get it in if it was hurting?

(And you're welcome!)

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i kept it tightly folded, and i did it in the shower when i was bleeding rather heavily, so the blood kind of acted as a lube.
it took me a while to get used to putting in tampons, so i hope i'll get the hang of this in time.

--------------------
- banksy

Heather
Member # 3

The shower actually might not be the best place, since showers and baths tend to rinse natural lubrication away.

I'd say next time to re-read the directions, use an actual lube, and try it out of the shower, one leg propped up on the toilet.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're also right that it can just take a while to get used to inserting the Diva Cup--it took me a couple of cycles to get really good at it. Just go slowly, and one thing I encourage is making sure it's warm before you put it in. I've made the mistake of washing mine in very cold water before inserting it (I wish I had never discovered what having a cold vagina feels like).

Also, about tampons getting stuck on hymens--that happened to me when I was younger (15ish, I think), and it was REALLY painful. I talked to my doctor about it, who took a look and said "Wow, that's a remarkably sturdy piece skin there! Want me to cut a slit in it?" One of the flaps of my hymen is actually still there (she literally cut a tiny slit, and didn't cut the hymen off), despite years of sexual activity, but the part that could get caught on things was mighty easy to get rid of.
So if it's something that does cause pain in certain situations and actively others you, you can always ask a doctor about it. For me, it was probably less than 15 minutes between voicing my complaint to the doctor and having a painless solution to my problem. I was so happy I brought up the subject.
I'm not saying it would be the same for you at all or that it's even your hymen causing problems--I'm just saying if you're bothered by it significantly, asking a doctor might be a good move.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and one more thing--sometimes it does help to cut a bit of the stem off like it says in the instructions if that's poking you. It doesn't go that far up there, so if by "just the end" you mean the stem-thing, then it was probably closer to far enough up than you think.
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.