Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Gardasil

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gardasil
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody,

I just visited my doctor and she asked if I was interested in getting the new HPV vaccine.

She told me a little about it, and I also picked up the monograph for it at the pharmacist.

I was wondering, have any of you guys had it yet, and do you know of any good links for more information?? (The monograph was, actually, pretty skimpy!)

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CDC page on the vaccine is pretty excellent and in-depth: http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/STDFact-HPV-vaccine.htm

I'm so big-time far outside the suggested age for it, and so far past an experiential level per risks that it's not something I'm rushing to get (and right now, I won't have any new risks I haven't already had), but the next time I have my GYN annual, I'll likely ask my doc if I can't just have it anyway. There are so many strains, so it's entriely possible to wind up exposed to a new one you haven't been exposed to before, even when you're someone like me who's been seriously around the block.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Heather!

I'm not at huge risk myself, at this particular point in time... same boyfriend for 4 years practising safe sex... but who knows what'll happen in the future, right??

And as my doctor said, even 70% effectiveness with Gardasil is better than the 0% protection we naturally have! [Big Grin]

BTW I did ask my GP about the recommended ages, she did say people could have it anyway even if they're beyond the recommended age, the reason why they recommend a younger age is that effectiveness is lower for an older person simply because the older the patient is, the more likely it is that they've been exposed to a risky situation. Basically, she said that the goal is to get girls vaccinated before they're sexually active and at a real risk of contracting anything, but it's still not a bad idea if you're older!

Hope that's somewhat informative [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm a bit late to jump in, but better late than never.

I'm getting Gardasil. I had my first dose around Xmas, and will be due for another shot in February. I'm 26, so I'm at the very end of the recommended cut-off. So far, so good. Never had an abnormal Pap, and have had a fairly small pool of partners considering my age. The only thing, I must admit, that shot hurt! Felt like some punched me really hard in the bicep. But three hours of arm pain sure beats having cancer.

And good news to LOS ANGELES AREA people!

The Los Angeles County health department is giving FREE Gardasil shots to girls ages 11 to 18. Call the STD hotline (in my sig line) for more information about clinics and availability. Get your shot before the Immunization Program runs out of funding!

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.