Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Menstrual cups

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Menstrual cups
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any guys lurking here, be warned. This is a menstruation question and mildly graphic, because I'm not sure how else to describe the problem.

Okay, in my ongoing attempt to be environmentally conscious, I thought I'd give the menstrual cup a try. However, rather than shell out for the reusuable one right away, I figured I'd do a trial run with the disposable ones. I picked up a package of "Instead" cups at the store and brought them home.

Now I'm in the middle of my period, and I can't seem to make the darn things work without leaking. I have a good handle on my own anatomy and I'm pretty sure I have them positioned correctly because sometimes they're fine, but apparently there are some minor variations or something that I'm missing because other times I get that "oops" feeling and have to go running for the bathroom. It's not that the cup is overfull...it's just getting missed somehow! Grrrr!

Has anybody else tried these? What was/is your experience? Do you have any helpful hints?

Thanks.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes ... unfortuneatly they sucked me into using them too. My mom bought them so i tried them. They were fine, and i couldn't even feel them ... but they DO have to come out! That was my problem ... I hate those stupid things now. Whenever i wanted to take one out, it would spill all over me, the toilet, everything. Do you *know* how hard blood is to get off a nice clean toilet seat? :P I don't use them ... hehe My mom and i call them shower caps, because if they were bigger, you could wear them on your head and they'd work a hell of a lot better
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Shower caps"... Only if they worked as well on my head as they do down below, my hair would be wet 2/3 of the time!

Well, it wasn't getting them out that was the problem for me, and you can always moisten some toilet tissue to clean off the seat. In my case, it was my mom who recommended them, so apparently they work fine for her. ~sigh~ I guess I'll give them another try next month; I've got plenty left.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinkY
Neophyte
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinkY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard about this before but din't know it's this hard and gross , sorry to ask this but what is the size of the cup anyways just curious ( u can gime the radius of the cup ) again just curious .hhee...heehee

Posts: 33 | From: canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm i'm not too sure really about the size of the cup ... I'm trying to put it into something that you can compare it too, w/o using inches (i don't know exactly, i don't have any here to measure hehe) I think it's relatively close in size to a juice glass ... the top of the glass! It really doesn't hurt, i find them more comfortable than tampons! It doesn't hurt putting them in (if you do it right), but getting them out is really a pain in the butt ... Practice makes perfect tho!
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinkY
Neophyte
Member # 1444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinkY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HOLY SMOKE! THAT'S HUGE AND UNBELEIVEABLE.

------------------
ThanX for answering.
[img]http://members.solcities.com/snowwhite/pinky%20copy.jpg[/img]

Posts: 33 | From: canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

No no no ... It's really not big!! It's about the same in size as a diaphram would be. And those look pretty easy to use right? Do you know how to use it? They taught us that in school ... Anyway (!!) they're really not big. You just squeeze it together, stick it up there and it unfolds itself and covers your cervix (??) and holds the blood
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smurf is right, that isn't big. Please do remember that your vaginal canal is essentially created to be able to accomodate an infant passing through it, okay?

A menstrual cup or diaphragm has a flexible ring that you simply squeeze to slide in, and when squeezed, you're talking about a size thinner than the average penis, folks.

Lady, I wasn't happy with the Instead cup at all. I found it leaked a little for me and wasn;t all that comfy, even though I used a diaphragm for years with absolite ease. I actually prefer using either cotton tampons or boil-able sea sponges during the day, and for heavy bleeding nights, I go for washable cotton pads. In general though, my flow is so light at night that simply using a towel on my sheet is all I really need.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinkY
Neophyte
Member # 1444

I understand the baby thing but I thought you can do it only according to what you DNA says or something(bio class hehe) but I still don't understand how that thingy can stay there and not fall or jump out and Btw what is the size and how long can it stay there (how long will it take to be full)
and I am sensitive to seeing blood and I certainly cant see all that blood in my washroom alone. *(or does the blood gets a solid form or want)

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at our article explaining how your anatomy works: http://scarleteen.com/pink/pages/anatomy.html

While that page is open, read it and look at this illustration.

See how near your cervix, it is wider than it is in the lower vaginal canal? A menstrual cup or diapragm sits there, and is held in place by the structure surrounding that area. I'd also add that I think you could benefit by going through the site and reading a few basic articles here. I know we like them, even though we had to write them.

I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of DNA, but unless there is a problem, nearly all vaginal canals can accomodate an infant's passage.

As far as your blood sensitivity, it might help to realize that menstrual flow isn't really blood at all, it is a combination of things, and mainly endometrial lining.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
Lady, I wasn't happy with the Instead cup at all. I found it leaked a little for me and wasn;t all that comfy, even though I used a diaphragm for years with absolite ease. I actually prefer using either cotton tampons or boil-able sea sponges during the day, and for heavy bleeding nights, I go for washable cotton pads. In general though, my flow is so light at night that simply using a towel on my sheet is all I really need.

Well, I didn't find it uncomfortable, but the leakage was annoying as blazes. Another reason for trying it, honestly, was that I liked the idea of sex during menstruation being less messy. (It was less messy, true, but although the cup didn't actually interfere with intercourse my partner and I were could both feel it, contrary to the manufacturer's claims.) Like I said, I'll probably finish out the box, but I daresay I'll go back to tampons when it's empty unless these suckers get a whole lot better somehow.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.