Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Washable Pads

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Washable Pads
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you use them?

I've had washable pads and/or menstrual sponges on hand for years.

I find them fabulous for nighttime use, easy to wash and take care of, comfortable, and it's expecially nice to know I'm not mucking up the environment with more waste than I have to.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never even heard of them, where do you get them at the supermarket, or do you have to order them special somewhere?? Don't they stain, cuz of the blood?? I dont think I could wash something like that, I think it would be really werid, but it is a good idea too, cuz you would save a whole load of $$$$.

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most health food stores (like Whole Foods) carry them. As well you can order them online at places like many Moons, at: http://www.pacificcoast.net/~manymoons/index.html

Do you feel funny washing your underwear, or a shirt that gets bloodstained? Come on, your period is a normal thing, everyone has one, and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Some washable pads are made so that the patterns on the covers are dark or patterend so that stains really aren't noticeable, but since you wash them in boling water anyway, they stay pretty darn clean.

It does save money, and it helps keep the amount of waste in our environment way down.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using them for a couple of months. I like them for night time use and around the house days. Mine are cute and if you buy some in a dark colour you won't even notice any stains.

I buy mine from a local Montreal organization but I do hear that the Many Moons pads are great. You can order them here.

What I like about them best is that they have a less of an impact on the environment than throw away pads. The thought of my used pads rotting, but never completely disintergrating, in a garbage dump really grosses me out, much more so than rinsing a pad and then throwing it in the washing machine with my dirty clothes.

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest worry with them would be that on heavy days, (with the reuseables that I've seen anyway) there would be nothing to stop the blood from leaking right through. I have no problem with washing pads, but getting bloodstains out of clothes and undies is an enormous pain.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No no ... i've heard about these a few times, but i don't think i could handle it very well. I can deal w/ real blood, but not menstural blood ... it doesn't sit well w/ my tummy i guess. I like using tampons soooo much better than pads ...
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But why is menstrual blood any different? Sure, it's got some clots in it, but there's nothing dirty about it. It's a pain to have it, especially when it gets onto your clothes, but I fail to see why it should be seen as disgusting.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.pacificcoast.net/~manymoons/howto.html
Is a link on Many Moons on making your own washable pads. I've never used them (I've got a Keeper, and love it to bits), but think I may look into trying to make a couple, just out of curiousity, and as back-up for a friend whose flow is so heavy that her cup actually leaks.

I guess what I love about finding information on less-commercial menstrual gear is that it gives me a few more options. It's great knowing that I'm no longer in any sort of bondage with Tampax or Always or anysuch, that I can choose what I find the best and safest option for dealing with my period, and I really wish more people were aware of things like this.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't want to use washable pads. They just don't seem comfortable to me, even though I've never worn one. I like that you can throw them away and not mess with the pads. It's a plus for the lazy people.

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamaalli
Activist
Member # 1917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mamaalli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only use a keeper (resusable menstrual cup) and washable pads (I prefer gladrags... www.gladrags.com) I love the comfort....mmmmmmm. So breathable and soft! They are very easy to clean. I keep a rubbermaid bucket with a locking lid filled with COLD water behind my toilet. I soak them there, then use the water to nourish my lavender (my moon plant) and then throw the pads in a HOT rinse cycle. Then I add dr bronners soap, and turn on a hot wash cycle. VOILA! SOOO comfy!

I love my keeper too, you can leave it in for up to 8 hours, and once you get it in right,you can't even tell it is there.

Menstural fluid isn't something to be ashamed of. Its a reminder every month of how f-ing awesome your body is!! That rocks. I'd be happy to send more info on these woman-friendly and environmentally safe products if you like. More of the US' waste is created by disposable menstrual products than anything else! YUCK!

Posts: 85 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erin
Neophyte
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I use the Keeper and just love it. I have used washable pads, but I don't really liek pads. They feel like diapers to me. I like the keeper because it is inside the body, and out of the way. I used to use tampons but found the keeper and thought I'd save some money

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone -

so far, I've only used *conventional* stuff (eg tampons, but at least chlorine free and from pure cotton fibres) but I've been reading so much about The Keeper over here, that I am curious how those of you who use it like it.

My best friend and I checked out the website and while we were impressed by the testimonials and really liked the general concept of The Keeper (and got a little angry because noone had told us before that there are alternatives to the usual stuff), the picture sort of shocked us - It looks pretty big!

So, girls - can you tell me whether it's really as comfy and as easy to use as everyone claims?

Ta in advance,
Alaska

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To those who use a keeper: All that washing sounds so involved! All I do is throw my pad/tampon away.

Hey, but I do see your point about the menstrual product waste. Where can you get more info?

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keepers aren't too big, and besides, you fold them before insertion. And washing them's no harder than washing your hands.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Milke, it just looked pretty big on that photo. Is it about the same size as a diaphragma? - Did I get it right that you have to turn the Keeper after insertion so that it *unfolds*?
Thanks in advance, people, I guess I really want to try the Keeper soon....
Alaska

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Not as wide as, but longer than, a diaphragm. And once it's in, you twist it, and it opens (it's fairly thick rubber, and definitely keeps it's shape). Mine's in right now, has been for an hour or so, and I can't even feel it.
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a great idea!

I haven't heard of them before although I am a self-confessed tampon girl I might get my mum to make ma a couple. My hometown plans to become the first waste free city by 20010, so this would be great for that too!

must have sleep,
Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i want to try all these things so badly - i really hate being a slave to playtex. but i'm afraid of menstrual cups. my mother says they leak, and i just know i would get blood all over everything trying to take it out. and the reusable pad thing - you can't really use those when you're out and about, can you? wouldn't that get sort of icky, carrying around bloody rags? can anyone tell me where i can get good organic tampons (do those exist?)

em

------------------
Love is a word that is constantly heard
Hate is a word that is not.
Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
Love, I have read, is hot.
But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
And love but a drug on the mart.
Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
But hating, my boy, is an art.
-Ogden Nash

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing.

A great company called Natracare makes organic cotton tampons which are the only kind I'll even consider putting in my body. You can get them at just about any natural foods market (if you have Whole Foods in Boston, you can get them there).

Or, you can use organic sea sponges cut for that purpose. You just wet them slightly, and use them the same way you'd use a tampon. When you change them, you just boil the old one in hot water.

I personally haven't had the greatest luck with mesntural cups, and have found they leak for me. I'm also into avoiding unnatural materials when I can.

But as far as washable pads go, if you use them and you're out, you can just keep a plastic zippable makeup bag in your purse for the purpose of storing used ones if you like. Heck people carry around used hankerchiefs, which is a little more gross, IMO.

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Emsily, have a look at http://www.gladrags.com (which is what alli recommended) they even sell whole kits complete with water-tight "carry out and about" bags. Pretty practical.

I am still planning to switch from unbleached tampons to The Keeper one day ...but I really want to see it first and haven't managed to get my hands on one over here yet. Hm, and considering the nasty dollar exchange rate at the mo, I just can't afford shopping online for it and not use it in the end. Grrrrr.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a website where you can order a Keeper? I've looked in stores but I can't find any. Thanx!

------------------
Kids in the backseat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseats cause kids! (So be careful!) Luvs to Jeremy!

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Flirtie, either check out the gladrags link I've given up there or http://www.thekeeper.com

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.