Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » period and zits

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: period and zits
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Everytime before my period, I get this like breakout of zits of my face, like everytime. And thing is I very rarely have zits when I'm not near my period, it just happens when I'm near it. Now, this week it's just even worse, I don't know why.

I don't want to be on birth control pills to control this. I'm eating healthily as far as I know, at least I don't eat junk food or greasy food. I've also tried some acne products but they don't seem to really take care of it properly, as I would like.

I heard drinking water could help. Anyone experienced this ? I have problems drinking a lot of water. Either I don't find the time for it or I'm going to the bathroom like every minute. I do drink water but never enough so I was wondering if anyone had any great tricks per how to take in the proper amount of water they need each day. That would be really useful. I'm always like telling myself that I have to drink more water but I never actually do it.

Also, any other ideas of other possible solutions when it comes to hormonal-changes triggered acne ? I'm a bit at a loss.

[ 11-12-2007, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OnceOnABlueMoon
Activist
Member # 33148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OnceOnABlueMoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I have no good news for you, cool. I have acne and I'm 21 almost 22. I was on a topical antibiotic from like the age of 14 until a few months ago. The antibiotic controlled it pretty well but it makes my skin SO dry. I used another antibiotic that moisturized my face. But then my breakouts started to get a little worse than usual. I tried Proactiv and dropped the other antibiotics. BAD IDEA. My skin has never been so bad before now. The last few months I've looked terrible and I can't control it. I didn't want to change antibiotics AGAIN so instead I decided to try the only thing I hadn't yet: Birth Control.

Birth control has finally gotten my acne partially under control again after two months, but I have little faith in that too. Mine never showed itself to be hormonal, not really, I just hoped it was. I never did the traditional breaking out before period thing. I suffered breakouts mid or late cycle and got better on my period.

I would say since yours is following the typical, clear pattern, birth control is the only sure way out of it. But without any other reasons to take it--preventing pregnancy or regulating periods/pain/blood loss--it's probably not worth it. If you have any of the other reasons I'd say the pill is a good solution. It sounds scary but it actually isn't all thyat bad. Otherwise, good luck Cool. [Smile]

Posts: 48 | From: North of Hell South of Paradise | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
americangirl
Neophyte
Member # 35688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for americangirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
contrary to many myths, greasy or fatty foods do not cause acne, unless you are like... rubbing them on your face. I would recommend using atopical treatment or face washe (found at any drug store) with Benzoyl peroxide or Salicylic acid in it. This should help, if not, go ahead and make an appt at a dermatologist.
Posts: 17 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happygirl
Neophyte
Member # 35894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run and tend to drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. I've found that if I take periodic sips from a water bottle I pee less frequently than if I guzzle the whole thing in 10 seconds. Maybe that would work for you too!
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimble
Activist
Member # 35859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mimble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, what I've learned (from experience) is that not exactly greasy foods, but things like nuts give me acne after 2 weeks or so. To combat this, I usually eat foods that are very juicy and I guess what you would call "cleansing" foods, such as grapefruit, pears, celery, and water (not exactly a food)!
Posts: 56 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flower_fairy
Activist
Member # 36070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flower_fairy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi cool,
I get the same thing. I have acne anyway but it gets worse before my period. It was worse in the past but at 21 I'd really like to get rid of it!
Tea tree oil helped a bit with me; then recently I asked my GP and she gave me Duac which is a cream with an antibiotic and the benzoyl peroxide which americangirl mentioned. Just see my other post ("acne") about it bleaching things!
Birth control (Dianette) did improve my skin many years ago, but also caused depression. Guess it's different for everyone, but good luck and let us know how you get on!

--------------------
"Life isn't about avoiding the showers, it's about learning how to dance in the rain"

Posts: 46 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sophie's.In.Trouble
Neophyte
Member # 36250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophie's.In.Trouble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh darling, I get the same thing... not fun is it?

Drinking lots of water does help [carry a water bottle around with you], keep up your regular skin care routine and use a medicated concealer to cover spots. The problem might die down as you get older, as your hormone levels begin to calm down, but in the mean time, try not to fret about it: I promise you, no one notices your skin problems as much as you do, as they're too busy worrying about their own!

Posts: 7 | From: Leicestershire | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sophie's.In.Trouble
Neophyte
Member # 36250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophie's.In.Trouble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...forgot to add this to my last post!
If you really do feel it is out pof hand, go to the doctor! I did, and he prescribed me something called Zineryt, a lotion you apply to affected areas, and I've found that it really helped me. Your doctor will know whats best for your skin type, and will definitely be able to offer something to help [Smile]

Posts: 7 | From: Leicestershire | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.