Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Getting motivated?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting motivated?
onewish01
Neophyte
Member # 29500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onewish01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I keep telling myself that I'm going to get out once a day and go for a walk or bike ride for 30 minutes. BUT, I can't make myself do it. I'll keep telling myself I need to, but it never happens. I don't have any issues going once I'm out of the house, but it's getting out there that's the problem. It's not like I don't have the time or anything either.

I'm wondering how other people get themselves motivated? I've tried writing myself notes and putting it on the front door, or on the bathroom mirror... but it doesn't help, lol.

Any tips are appreciated!

--------------------
-- Katie --

Posts: 24 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueGender
Neophyte
Member # 33980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueGender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I deal with the same problem.

Though once I think of somewhere to go if I ever go outside, I'll do it, like ride my bike to the movie theatre or store, or even the library.

- I just need someplace to go to and for a purpose, although just to exercise can be a reason.

Posts: 18 | From: WA, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snail
Neophyte
Member # 34904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I go for walks, I find my iPod the best motivating tool ever. I have tons of songs that I like, and I make playlists that'll sync well with my stride, etc. Pretty much any excuse to listen to my music, I'll take.

Or for exercise that can be done in one place, stretching or even jogging in place, I do it in front of my favorite TV shows. That way, I don't feel guilty about watching TV, and endorphins and comedy shows just go together.

The best thing for me, though, is finding someone to do it with and browbeat me into it. My mother and I reminded each other every other day to walk until she got sick recently, and we were doing 4 miles or so at a pretty quick clip and having a great time! I looked forward to it instead of looking for excuses, which is a lot more characteristic of me. ;P

--------------------
What is straight? A line can be straight, or a street, but the human heart, oh, no, it's curved like a road through mountains.

~Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Desire, 1947

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Start using walking/biking as a primary means of transportation [Smile] Or use public transport, you'll still have to walk plenty to and from bus stops.

Or, join a class--aerobics, dance, martial arts, whatever stirs your kool-aid. Or a sports team.

If you can incorporate more exercise into your everyday routine and find something you really like doing, it will be easier.

Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onewish01
Neophyte
Member # 29500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onewish01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
snail - I find that music really helps to get me moving as well, but it's not very good at getting me out the door, haha.

Thanks everyone for your tips [Smile] I've been thinking of taking up tennis lessons, but I don't think I can do that during the school year. I might start doing yoga again with my mom though. It really helps my back, and helps me relax after horseback riding, lol.

--------------------
-- Katie --

Posts: 24 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you go horseback riding regularly, that's pretty good exercise in and of itself. Spend a little time cleaning out stalls and moving bales of hay around, and you'll get PLENTY of exercise. [Wink]

Also, I've found that exercise is seriously habit-forming. Once you start, if you're not doing it regularly you'll probably feel all weird and just feel like you HAVE to get out and move your body around.

Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onewish01
Neophyte
Member # 29500

Narwhal - I horseback ride once a week, plus I work in a barn too (one day a week). So I get 2 - 3 hours of exercise twice a week, lol. I don't think it's quite enough though. I'm hoping to co-board a horse soon, so that'll get more riding in.

--------------------
-- Katie --

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.