Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Noise Induced Hearing Loss NIHL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Noise Induced Hearing Loss NIHL
Light
Activist
Member # 32327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Light     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I was doing a little research on headphones, and I found out that earbuds, like Ipod earbuds, are extreamly bad for your ears. I got worried because I listen to music on my earbuds a lot, and I began to wonder if I was begining to lose my hearing. So, I was wondering if anyone here has had any encounters with hearing loss? how that person lost their hearing? and how they knew about it?
Posts: 70 | From: Nova | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
isabella.the.insomniac
Activist
Member # 34041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for isabella.the.insomniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't experienced hearing loss, but I do have tinnitus (a ringing in your ears). I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, because most people with tinnitus have some degree of hearing loss. I used to listen to my iPod all the time with earbuds, and I do believe that's how I got this horrible ringing in my ears. Trust me, it's a nightmare: it never goes away. Just be careful. I'm not trying to preach, but most people have never heard of tinnitus. There's nothing wrong with ipods, just don't listen to them loudly and for long periods of time..that was my mistake.

--------------------
"...There was nothing else left, nothing in the world but his fingers and the delirious incoherent frenzy of pure sensation they sent spiraling through me, as though I were an instrument vibrating with the exquisite hymns of the angels."

Posts: 62 | From: California | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's simple: don't turn your iPod up very loudly.

Problem is, people are idiots about using their iPods. I can't tell you how many thousands of times I've been able to hear what people around me are listening to on their iPods (Zunes, Chocolate phones and Walkmen). If other people can hear it, it's too ... damn ... LOUD!

While we're at it, don't blast your car stereo, either. It wrecks your hearing, and everyone else probably thinks your music sucks anyway, so you might as well spare them.

Lastly, as a veteran concert-goer and mosh-pit fanatic, it's a good idea to always ear earplugs to shows. I buy mine at the drug store. They're "Hear-os" brand and they are rated to block up to 33 decibels. If you forget your plugs, ask an usher at the venue where the earplugs are sold. Chances are, s/he will have a spare pair and give them to you. This has worked for me a dozen times, although I usually don't forget my plugs because they are in a bottle on my keychain.

This comes in handy because it's good to wear earplugs during exams. And cinemas are getting louder too, so I often wear them during movies.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronKitten
Neophyte
Member # 34910

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronKitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For my entire life I've been a fan of old-school 70's punk music and 80's hardcore, especially groups like the Misfits. When I was probably 8-12 years old, I would listen to them with my CD player (old school [Wink] ) and crank it up almost all the way, if not completely all the way.

I'm VERY lucky that I'm not deaf, but I do have many hearing problems now. I can't hear people behind me, my hearing tends to fade in and out, and I suffer from occasional (not constant), faint ringing in my ears. It's worse in some situations than others.

I still listen to music (iPods, now [Razz] ) but I do it at a relatively low volume; there's no sense in going deaf.

--------------------
"People take different
roads seeking fulfillment
and happiness. Just because they're
not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."
-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Posts: 8 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onewish01
Neophyte
Member # 29500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onewish01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about this same topic the other day...

I work in a kennel and when the dogs get barking it gets REALLY loud in the aisle (it can be echo-y), so I'm now worried that my hearing is going to slowly go away if I keep working there. They have these "headphone" things that you can use to block out the noise but I don't really want to use them, lol. I might start wearing ear plugs though.

--------------------
-- Katie --

Posts: 24 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.