Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Running

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Running
SleepyFox
Neophyte
Member # 34239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SleepyFox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently joined the military and I have some time to go until I have to go to RTC. The thing is that I have to be able to run pretty well. I went running on Wednesday, and I ran 3/4 of a mile in about 7'30" (surprising since I didn't think I was in any type of shape because that I couldn't even run a quarter mile nonstop as a freshmen four years back). After that 3/4 of a mile, I started to feel extremely light head. My body wasn't fatigued, but my head was under so much pressure along with my burning lungs. I have to be able to run 1.5 miles in under 13 minutes. What's the best way to build cardio endurance?

--------------------
Non ducor duco

Posts: 27 | From: Florida | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissSunshine
Activist
Member # 33438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to build up your endurance, and reach your goal is just to slowly increase the distance or amount of time you run.

For example, start with a half mile, and run a few times a week. As a half mile starts to feel more "do-able" and you don't feel like death afterwards (haha), increase your distance, or try and decrease your time with the current distance.

Don't expect your cardiovascular endurance to increase overnight. It may take a few weeks of running consistently to see an improvement in your endurance. Another note, make sure you're well hydrated and nourished, and listen to your body. Feeling like you're going to pass out isn't good, and is a pretty good indicator that you maybe need to start off at a more leisurely pace.

Posts: 64 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SleepyFox
Neophyte
Member # 34239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SleepyFox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realize that while I run, I'm pretty much ok. But when I stop, that's when all the problems begin. I guess once I break my rhythm everything sucks.

--------------------
Non ducor duco

Posts: 27 | From: Florida | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, are you cooling down, SleepyFox, or just going full-stop? You might be able to cut back on some of the dizziness and pain if you cut back on run time just a bit and gradually, over a few minutes, reduce your pace to a brisk walk.
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SleepyFox
Neophyte
Member # 34239

I do cool down

--------------------
Non ducor duco

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might not be a bad idea to check with your doctor, actually, especially if you are taking steps to avoid the effects you're feeling (cooling down/staying well hydrated/pacing yourself/etc.) it may be good to rule out anything else physically that may be holding it back (even something as simple as a small nutrient deficiency).

Until then, I'd encourage the advice LittleMissSunshine gave you before - even if you're feeling alright while you're running, pacing yourself a bit more during may help lessen some of the problems you're feeling after.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.