Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » UTI?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UTI?
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 8 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I think I have a UTI. It burns when I pee and I feel like I need to pee again right after I'm done. I haven't noticed that my urine is weirdly cloudy though.

Also, I don't know if this is at all related, but I had major chills last night when I was trying to fall asleep(I had to put on sweatpants, I was so cold). I also had some random spotting last night, and some lower back pain yesterday morning. All 3 of those things seem to have stopped though.

So, does this sound like a UTI? Or could it be something else? I'm planning on going to a walk-in clinic tonight, but just wanted to ask here beforehand.

Thanks!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissSunshine
Activist
Member # 33438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The urinary symptoms sound like they could be indicative of a UTI. Keep in mind that dark colored cloudy urine is also a symptom of dehydration-so make sure you're keeping up with your fluid intake.

As far as the sweating/chills go, is there any chance you had/have a fever? Any infection in your body, if it has progressed enough, can easily cause a fever. Personally, I know I've had a fever with a SEVERE UTI in the past.

The spotting could be a glitch in your cycle, or a number of other things. Since it sounds like you're planning on going to a clinic, I'd mention it to them at your appointment. Same goes for the low back pain.

Posts: 64 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been drinking tons of water, so I don't think I'm dehydrated. I'll keep it up though, just in case.

For the chills thing, I got a pretty bad sunburn on Saturday, but it's mostly healed now. Don't know if that could've played a role in anything.

Definitely going to a clinic regardless. I want the (probable) UTI gone, because the burning is no fun at all.

Thanks for the info!

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anntseptik
Neophyte
Member # 34286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anntseptik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Blysse_Norwood

Ah, no fear, UTI can be cleared up pretty quick. First thing's first: the drinking of tons of water is PERFECT. Drink it on the hour every hour. Also, drink some cranberry juice. It'll put a stop to those bacteria that's causing your infection.

To help with the burning: you can put a hot compress wrapped in towel on your vagina for a while. It'll help a lot with the burning that comes after urinating. During urination, if nothing else comes out, don't force it. it'll just burn more. But applying hot compress through your clothes so as to not burn yourself will help a great deal. Basically, keep that area warm.

there's also these perfectly safe herbal pill you can take twice in the morning and twice at night that will help with the UTI. I used it when I had UTI. It's called Cystone by Himalaya Herbals. If you find it dodgy, it's alright, you don't necessarily need it but it does speed up recovery and is perfectly safe.

Also, if you're sexually active, be sure to urinate before and after sex to avoid what is known as "Honeymoon Cystitis" which is basically a cause of UTI.

I'm a bit worried about the fact that you also have chills and spotting. This could mean you have another infection to deal with. definitely go to the clinic!

Take care!

[ 06-14-2007, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: anntseptik ]

--------------------
=__=

Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, thanks for the hot compress idea. I'll definitely try that out. I'll also check out the herbal pills. [Smile]

How long does it take for antibiotics to clear up a UTI?

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also recommend you get in to see a doctor. While home remedies are good, and can help with recovery and prevention, you do need to get it checked out, as untreated UTIs can spread and cause more trouble.

(And Blysse, I'm sure you know by now that by cranberry juice, we all mean the real stuff- or cranberry extract pills- not the sugary cranberry cocktail stuff!! [Smile] )

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Definitely seeing a doctor. I hope the wait isn't too crazy long at the walk-in clinic. I had planned to have a more productive evening than sitting and waiting.

And, yup. I know it's the actual cranberry juice. (Which is actually kinda hard to find in some grocery stores) [Smile]

Thanks for all the info everyone!

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's any help, I actually had a MUCH easier time finding the cranberry extract pills at the drugstore. Plain cranberry juice tastes pretty darn gross, so a lot of people opt for the capsules instead, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're more easily found!

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Ooh, ok. I'll have to go look for those.

Thanks!

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Well, I forgot to mention to the doctor that I had some spotting, but I have a bladder infection one way or another. Hurray for antibiotics! Just thought I'd give a little update.

Thanks for the help everyone!

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Hey, no problem! [Smile] I hope all goes well with your recovery!

--------------------
Lea

anntseptik
Neophyte
Member # 34286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anntseptik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take care!!
[Smile]
Yeah i forgot to mention the cranberry capsules...probably because I never took them myself. [Razz] oh well.
Get well soon!

--------------------
=__=

Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.