Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Dizzy spells and fainting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dizzy spells and fainting
AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 5 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, I've been having a LOT of dizzy spells. Every time I would sit down for more than 5 minutes and then get up, I'd have a dizzy spell that would usually last for about... 10 seconds. I wait for them to pass.
Anyway, I haven't thought much about it, except yesterday I actually fainted. I don't know what is up with this, but it's really annoying.
I get a lot of headaches and migraines, too.
Keep in mind, this is all very recent, it's been going on for maybe a couple months.
I'm vegan, if that means anything, and I've been vegan for a little over a year.
I'm just wondering what is going on with my body. I've been so tired and achy lately.

--------------------
"think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f***ing sharp knife to it."
- banksy

Posts: 58 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I would strongly recommand you to go see a doctor about this. It does NOT sound normal at all, even less so if this has been going on for a couple of months now. You don't have to endure those symptoms any longer and you shouldn't either because there might be an important medical condition under that that needs to be treated and maybe as soon as possible.

It could be lots of things, which we just can't diagnose here without a blood test result, a physical exam and all of those stuff.

So schedule that appointment to your doctor okay ? [Smile]

[ 04-30-2007, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I was anemic for a good part of this last year, and I also had a lot of headaches, dizzy spells, and near-faints (never actually fainted though). Anemia can also make you tired and a little achy, too. Is it possible that, since you're vegan, you're not getting enough iron in your diet?

Still, I second cool- it'd be a good idea to visit the doctor ASAP, and do mention that you're vegan, because nutritional deficiencies can cause those sorts of symptoms.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crazymonkey
Neophyte
Member # 31014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazymonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lea may be correct that the nutrition factor may have something to do with it. You mention you were vegan for a little over a year. that means you weren't vegan before. maybe your body hasnt adjusted well yet. you need to check with your doctor though
Posts: 28 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just a quick nitpick: most people really doing vegan diet do get just as much if not more iron that others, because they tend to do a LOT of leafy greens, which are packed with it.

And I'd not expect to see lethargy -- especially not that, as vegans are usually hyper-energetic -- and dizzy spells all of a sudden because of a diet change a year before. Our digestive systems don't take that long to adapt to changes.)

As I recall, Imogen, you've also recently dealt with some stress per relationship, stuff, too.

But all in all, if this has been going on for a couple months, you're overdue to have a doc take a look: I'd get in for a general lookit as soon as you can, and just be siure you're taking good care of yourself until you can get seen -- extra rest, extra fluids, extra healthy foods, extra stress reduction.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had some similar symptoms myself earlier this year, but I'm not a vegan. It turned out that my periods were really heavy and I wasn't getting enough iron. Have you been having heavier periods lately? If it is an iron deficiency, then a simple blood test should show it and your doctor can prescribe some iron pills and tell you what to do to feel better. I did a search on a medical site and they listed irritability, fatigue, headaches, and pale skin as symptoms of iron deficiency anemia.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(My apologies Imogen Eyes and Heather- I was just going off my own experience with anemia, and since I was eating vegan at the time for religious reasons, my doctor said it was common for vegans to have nutritional deficiencies and experience things like anemia... my bad! I guess I just suck at getting those leafy greens into my diet [Razz] )

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.