Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » veggie barbecue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: veggie barbecue
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend's family wants to host a barbecue for me and a few friends; thing is, I'm a vegetarian. I'll eat fish every once in a while, but I don't really like it too much. What veggie options are there for a barbecue? Can you use tofu? I know grilled, whole tomatoes, are really good, but apart from that, I don't have any ideas... I wanted to take my own stuff so I wouldn't have to burden my friend's family.

Thoughts?

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh barbecue! Tofu works great grilled, so do bell peppers of all colors, tomatos (slices or whole, one of my favs!), eggplant, ZUCCINI!, really most any veggie can pop down onto the grill! [Smile]

(Or heck, if you have access to them, there are some pretty good veggie burger options available, too!)

You can also volunteer to help grilling, so you can be sure to clean off the grill a bit first if you don't want your veggies touching everyone else's meat, that way it's less of a hassle for them, or ask if they wouldn't mind getting your veggies out of the way first.

You can also do some non-grill stuff like a pasta salad, or fruit salda - something everyone can share along with whatever else they're grilling.

[ 03-16-2007, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greenapp1es
Activist
Member # 28071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenapp1es     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I've always liked in barbecues are kabobs...a bunch of veggies on a stick and grilled. My vegetarian friend would put firm tofu on hers. Stuff that we usually put on is cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini. My friend marinated the tofu in soy sauce with a bit of cider vinegar and garlic

[ 03-16-2007, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: greenapp1es ]

Posts: 96 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another fun thing I've been doing during the Lenten season (I'm not allowed to eat meat, dairy or eggs) is making portobello mushroom burgers. I marinate the mushroom tops in various things, then toss it on the grill for a bit, and put it on a bun with some other goodies... it's pretty yummy in my opinion [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vegan Hotdogs <3 Put some BBQ sauce on them and they are the bomb. I like the Yves brand.

Also Boca burgers and boca chicken patties. Theres also vegan "sausage" links you can buy.

Check out your local store. Since I went vegan I havnt had any problems with BBQs cause I bring my own stuff.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grilled portabellos are the absolute bomb, and also a great thing to bring that makes other people wish they were eating YOUR meal. [Smile] Portobello mushrooms are vegetarian steak. [Big Grin]

With veggie dogs, just be sure and check the packaging: some veggie dogs aren't made for the grill, and will pop and bubble in a really odd way when you grill them.

(P.S. Nailo, I don't think that I did get whatever last email you sent, so want to resend? Thanks!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barbecued peaches for dessert.

Sounds very weird, but is very, very tasty. Cut in half, and grill until warm and squishy. [Smile]

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, that's news to me.

YUM!

(Bet if you dust them with vanilla sugar first, too, they'd get a nice little crispy bit on the outside.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm... it all sounds so good! If you eat cheese, you could wrap a chunk of feta (plus olives, bell/chili peppers, herbs, spices, etc.) and toss that on the grill. (Make it easy-to-open so you can check if it's done.) You could also toast a few slices of bread by leaving them on the grill for a minute or so, then use the cheese mix as a spread.
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I move out, I'm getting a little grill! [Smile]

Great topic to start, Nailo, this has brought up some AWESOME recipe ideas! Thanks everyone!

Another dessert favorite from days of camping, which do great on grils? Get a banana and slice it open, then take chocolate chips, walnuts, peanuts, whatever else you might want to put inside (the classic recipe is chocolate chips and marshmallows, but depending on your own personal level of vegetarianism, the marshmallows may be a nix unless you can find a good vegan marshmallow fluff), then wrap the whole thing up in tin foil, and toss it on the grill, or in the coals, and wait a few minutes. Warm and chocolately gooey yum!

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading this thread earlier made me totally want grilled veggies, but I wasn't feeling up to grillin' outside tonight so I popped every veggie I could find on the wok, it was great. I got pretty creative with sauces and noodles and stuff... I mean, I mixed cesear dressing and soy sauce and sesame seeds. Sounds weird but turned out great.

And those grilled peaches sound amazing. I think I'd better bust it out tomorrow, if I can find some peaches. Not in season yet, right? Seems like canned just wouldn't be the same.

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just as a super quick side note- corn on the cob, if you can find it anywhere as it's not in season now, is also very very good on the grill!! [Smile] )

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!!! [Eek!] I didn't expect to get so many replies back!! Thanks a lot everyone, I'll be sure to take those to the barbecue ^^!

So basically, as a protein source I could use tofu and cheese and veggie burgers? Because using lentils and chickpeas probably wouldn't work, right? [Razz]

I would never have thought about the peaches and the bananas! Do you put the peaches on the grill with the fuzzy bit and everything?

Thanks so much for the enthusiasm! You're great ^.^

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sheriden
Neophyte
Member # 33112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheriden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as for peaches, you should probably slice them, but whether you leave the fuzzy part on or not is up to you- pineapple is absolutely AMAZING grilled, and so is mango, just to give you a few other fruit choices. the BEST kabob i've ever had consisted of morningstar veggie sausage links (cut into smaller pieces) and pineapple.
i'm a vegetarian too, and i've found that the best way to handle social events is to treat it like a potluck- bring things like that... fruit, tofu, veggie meat... and throw them on the grill, and in addition, bring some vegetarian pasta salad or coleslaw or any of your other favorite dishes to share with everyone (who knows, it might just prove to them that you can go veg without having to miss out on really delicious food!) also, goveg.com has some really good recipies, I bet you could find a lot of other things. hope this helped, it sounds like fun... good luck!

Posts: 4 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the peaches, just remember to remove the pit: that's all! They're so easy, and tasty.

A little sugar DOES sound good on them, too....hmm.......

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lexie
Activist
Member # 29769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lexie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
brown sugar! thats good on peaches.. caramelised.

and barbequed corn on the cob. yummm.

Posts: 76 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

One more question: I tried out the veggie barbecue yesterday, but I found a couple of things that needed improving. Should I put olive oil or something of the sort on the vegetables so they don't get too dry? What about the tofu; I got fried tofu because I thought the normal, firm tofu might fall apart. Is there any special way to cook it?

--------------------

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Moved. Carry on!)

[ 03-24-2007, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nailo - about the veggies being too dry: next time, make a sort of dressing with olive oil, garlic and whichever herbs you like, then brush it on the veggies. Adds more yummy flavour and keeps them nice and juicy.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Another thing you can do to keep things from drying out is to marinate the veggies- just look online or whatever to find a marinade that you like.

--------------------
Lea

faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever seen those aluminum foil ads where they make packets of the foil and then place the packets on the grill? Sounds like just what you need! You could grab your chopped veggies, toss in some tofu, add some marinade/dressing, seal the packet, and then grill it that way instead of placing it directly on the grill. The flavors will be sealed in the packet! If you Google "packet grilling" I think you'll find more tips on how to make sure your packet doesn't leak or fall apart.

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm, foil packets make the best grilled fish, especially halibut with pineapple. I know that's not 100% veg, but for those who allow themselves fish, you're in for a treat!
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

No halibut in Costa Rica! [Frown] Any substitute?

--------------------

faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a recipe for fish with pineapple that says black cod (or regular cod, I'd assume, would be just as fine) substitutes well for halibut. The recipe is a grill recipe too, so just use the packets with the same ingredients and you're good to go.

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4guysand3gals
Neophyte
Member # 33135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4guysand3gals     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ginger & sesame grilled tofu in pitas pockets is yummy with veggies.
My absolute favorite is grilled yellow squash, red onions, zucchini, red peppers, portabella mushrooms on panini bread, I use provolone too dusted with roasted red pepper sauce.

Posts: 10 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Queer Power
Activist
Member # 22292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queer Power     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like making barbecue tofu by cutting the tofu into strips, covering it in barbecue sauce, wrapping it in tin foil, then throwing it on the grill. Onions are also great when wrapped in tin foil and grilled.
Posts: 52 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.