Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Veggie trying to wean off cheese & eggs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Veggie trying to wean off cheese & eggs
4guysand3gals
Neophyte
Member # 33135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4guysand3gals     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a teen so I hope it is ok to post.
I am 33 and about 9 months ago gave up eating meat for humane & health reasons. Never have liked milk so that was easy to give up. I still eat raw cheese & eggs that are locally raised and I have actually been to the farm.
Tonight I bought veggie sliced cheese and it was horrible. As a rule I try to buy food that is unprocessed and stick to whole foods but once in awhile it is nice to grab something quick or enjoy meals that are similar to what I prepare for my family of 7. My oldest daughter is a veggie to.
Are eggs good for us if we know the conditions in which they live?
Are there any good tasting cheese alternatives?

One other question. How do you know if your sugar is free of bone char? Is sucanut the only answer?
I have so much to learn.

Posts: 10 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay I can only answer one question and thats about the soy cheese. The trick is trying different brands. Some brands are horrible but some brands are good you just kinda have to try different stuff tell you find it. Really that goes for all vegan products.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With regards to the eggs, well, that's really up to you- it's a personal decision for you to make.

As for cheese- yeah, a lot of vegan cheese stuff is pretty gross [Razz] but like Elizabeth said, it's pretty much trial and error.

From what I gather, bone char doesn't actually get INTO the sugar, but is used during a filtering process to whiten it. Wikipedia says a quarter of the sugar in the US is processed with bone char. I found this link that has some sugar companies/brands in the states and lists which ones do and do not use bone char, if it's any help:

http://www.vegfamily.com/articles/sugar.htm

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LollySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Vegan Gourmet" makes the best-tasting vegan cheese I've ever tried. It works best in things such as mac&"cheese":] I have the recipe if you want. And I have a killer recipe for no bake vegan cookies and vegan chocolate chip cookies as well:] Some cheese slices you'd expect to be vegan because they say "lactose free" or something like that in fact aren't; they still contain caseinate [a milk derivitive, of course]. Raisin Rack is my favorite place to get all the best vegan goods:]

--------------------
break down, rebuild, repeat.

Posts: 64 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm vegan, and there's this fantastic vegan website that I go to all the time.
It's a vegan recipe site, but the boards are fabulous. All the people are really great and really helpful and know alot about what vegan cheeses taste the best and so on... I found this site to be really helpful when I was a vegetarian and trying to eliminate cheese and dairy products from my diet.

http://www.vegweb.com

As for eggs, I think if they're from a local place and the chickens are treated well and they're happy, then it's not a big deal in my opinion. If there is no rooster there to fertilize the eggs, then they go to waste anyway.

--------------------
"think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f***ing sharp knife to it."
- banksy

Posts: 58 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.