Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » eating healthy diet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: eating healthy diet?
muisy
Activist
Member # 31745

Icon 5 posted      Profile for muisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The weight I'm at is pretty normal, if anything I'm a few pounds over weight. I don't like diets, I just can't limit myself like that, but does it help if you cut out all the junk food? Or at least size down? My diet is terrible...I do a lot of snacking, and it's junk, pure junk. So if I stopped eating that type of food, or really down sized, is it possible to lose weight? The more I read into this the more obvious/stupid the question sounds but I'm just wondering. It's not like I have junk 24/7, but it's close.
Posts: 40 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oof, boy does it help if you cut a lot of things out of your diet - and I don't mean losing weight help, I mean feeling INCREDIBLY healthier.

Fast food and junk food are mostly loaded with sugars and simple carbs, which just aren't great for your body in the first place and can definitely leave you feeling sluggish and just not great. So, by cutting back on the amount of sugary foods you ingest (candy, sweet treats, soda is a BIG one) and simple carbs (the burgers, fries, that sort of deal), and replacing those foods with whole-grains, vegetables, fruits (great source of natural sugars if you have a sweet tooth), etc. you're setting yourself up to just be a whole heck of a lot healthier.

(And the way you FEEL is always going to trump the number you see on the scale, by the way, so this really isn't about losing weight, though cutting out junky foods can certainly help you lose weight if you need to, that's not the reason to do it or the way you can measure how fit you are or how healthy you feel)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muisy
Activist
Member # 31745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for muisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ya I meant to say that too, it's not so much about losing weight as being more healthy. The thing about college food is it's so hard to get a good meal because everything moves so fast and you just end up with burgers and fries, and I am a sucker for burgers, burgers and milk-shakes, and I have no idea why! Like 9am, I'm ready for a cheeseburger, it's kind a ridiculous.
Posts: 40 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there no salad bar in your dining commons?

My friend's dormmate got scurvy once. Cap'n crunch and skim milk doth not a healthy diet make.

But at my college, we had plenty of healthy options. The salad bar was plentiful, and they were always cooking up vegan-friendly fare.

I think if you looked at the nutrition info for the foods you're eating, you'd do a lot more to say no to the extra calories.

http://www.calorieking.com is the resource i like best.

Also, keep a food journal so you're forced to examine your eating habits.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other things that many dorm food courts offer along with a salad bar as Gummy mentioned is a sandwich counter, where you can make sandwiches loaded with veggies, hummus, whole grain breads and the like. Typically, the hot service counter would have one vegetarian opption, which was usually tastier and healthier than the swedish meatballs (yuck) or roast beef and fries.

If your cafeteria DOESN'T offer these kinds of options from which someone can choose a healthy meal, it might be worth starting a letter writing campaign indicating that it's impossible for students to function well with such lousy food options. For a time, all my cafeteria's food was loaded with sugars and carbs, and surprise! Students started crashing midway through classes, or doing poorly on exams - that was a good wake up call to the administration to revamp the food court system.

--------------------
Unlucky at cards; lucky at love.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissSmarty
Activist
Member # 28387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissSmarty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Muisy did you mention li living in Dining Commons, and I just read over it? If you did then, yes I can attest to the fact that it is hard to eat healthy when you live in a dorm. Many times the dining hall food sucks. Howev, at my dining hall the salad bar was the tastiest food available.

Even if you don't live on campus and eat in dining halls, it is difficult to eat healthy in college. A lot of it has to do with how erratic a college person's schedule can be. Waking up early some days to go to class, going out late, and sleeping late on other days. When your on the go it is easy to feel like you need to grab fast food, and that if you don't do that you just won't be able to eat.

I try to plan out easy healthy meals that I can cook during the week. I love baking cauliflower in the oven with lemon and garlic. I sprinkle cheese on it when it comes out it is great. You could also try buying a few healthy frozen meals to pop in the microwave for those busy days.
Do you have a microwave and a minifridge in your dorm? In mine I had a little freezer section on it.

You are right, just cutting out the junk can make a difference in the way you feel and in losing weight. Do you drink a lot of soda or sugary drinks? That is something that can sneak on the weight. Drinking water is so good for us. But, most people are walking around dehydrated and they don't even know it.

Posts: 118 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I don't know if your university has this, but at mine there are a bunch of little snack carts and such, and I usually try to stock up on healthy snacks from those, to keep in my room - my favorites are Odwalla bars; they're SOOOO good and incredibly healthy. Fresh fruit is also a terrific option. Having these snacks right at hand in my room is awesome for eating on the run, like if you have to rush between classes, or for late-night studying: since I tend to eat dinner around 6, if I'm up until 11 or 12 I can get kind of hungry, so I just grab an Odwalla bar or a banana or something to keep me going until I can crash. And stuff like that is much, much better for you than a quick burger and fries. [Smile]

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.