Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Facial Care?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Facial Care?
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a prom magazine a few weeks ago, and in the magazine, it listed four common problems (blackheads, redness, dry skin and blemishes) and for each problem, it suggested three products and a routine to follow.

... what are you supposed to do if you have more than one of these problems?

I have blackheads on my nose. I have redness in my cheeks because I'm naturally pale. I have dry skin across my eyebrows and the bridge of my nose.

I use Biore strips (they work, but 95% of my blackheads are still there) I've been using a cooling facewash by Biore for my face that's supposed to help redness (It doesn't). I've been using a moisturizer by Johnson and Johnson which doesn't work... every single time I get out of the shower, the dry skin is back [Razz]

Any suggestions?

Or does anyone know any good places on the net to check out for advice?

Thanks!

Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have dry skin as well (arms, hands, and face), and I have to put moisturizing lotion on every day. I use Eucerin, and I've just made it a part of my morning routine - I put it on right after my daily shower. I don't know of any other way to help with that. Also, since it's winter and drier than usual, that's not helping in the slightest. [Razz]

Question about the redness - why is this bad? I'm fairly pale and I've got a natural flush to my cheeks, but I rather like it. (I actually remember an incident in 8th grade that boosted my self-esteem massively: I was in a bathroom and these two Hispanic girls were in there too, putting on makeup - more specifically blush - and one of them looked at me and went, "You are SO lucky to have naturally red cheeks, not fair!" So. [Smile] )

But if you really are having trouble with your skin, remember that different things will work for different people. Maybe go see a dermatologist for recommendations?

[ 02-04-2007, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: LucysDiamonds ]

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would actually go in the direction of LESS products, not more.

3 products for me is too many. I use two maximum: a mild facial cleanser and an unscented lotion. The less stuff you put on your skin, the healthier it generally will be.

My suggestion is, if you haven't already, see a dermatologist. They are seriously your best friend if you are having skin problems. Besides that, invest in a simple but good combination skin face wash. This will be gentle on your dry skin but help with blackhead control around the more oily areas.

If you find a product isn't working, ditch it. Continued use obviously doesn't benefit your skin.

My cheeks (or whole face) tends to be red, mainly because I have red hair, freckles and very fair skin. But honestly, unless the redness is chapped and painful, there isn't much you can do. A lotion with calming agents may help, but best bet is to love the skin you got [Big Grin]

(Too? For those areas that are flaky or really dry? Use a little bit of petroleum jelly. I've found that to be a better substitute than any lotion or cream)

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, upping your water intake and eating more fruit will do wonders for your skin.
Oh yeah, look at the straight guy giving skincare tips. Ain't it a hoot. [Big Grin]

DISCLAIMER: This is in no way trying to perpetrate any kind of stereotype.

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I moisturize every single day. Right after the shower, I use either Vaseline lotion or Johnson & Johnsons. I've been doing this for about 2 years and I have extremely soft skin that doesn't get dry in the coldest of weather.

As for my face, I wash it twice a day with a bar of Olay soap. Very simple. I then use moisturizer - I recently have been using Ponds [yeah yeah, "old lady stuff"] - it has been working very well. I suggest purchasing a moisturizer with an SPF.

My cheeks are also very flushed ALL OF THE TIME. Just look at it this way - you don't have to buy blush =]. If the redness is really bothersome, buy some compact makeup. I purchase Clinique - it's expensive - but on the days where my face is very red - it works wonders & you truly cannot notice I am wearing the stuff. I'm not a fan of loading makeup on my face, but I can't even tell I'm wearing it.

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have incredibly sensitive and dry skin, my own tears sting my skin like crazy and make it flake!
I use an E45 or other sensitive skin facewash, and use a flannel to get off the dry flakey skin, then pat dry and use E45 cream [Smile] it makes your skin really soft and doesn't sting or cause me to come out in weird rashes ee ^.^

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look into whether you have hard or soft water. If it is at all possible, try to get a soft water unit installed in your home. It really is much better for your skin.

Also, look at www.makeupalley.com for reviews on just about any skincare/makeup/body product ever. It's very helpful in determining whether something will be worth it to purchase after reading all the reviews.

Forums like www.specktra.net also have good sections for asking questions like this, as it is a forum designed especially for that. [Smile] I'm over there too!

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thelorax
Neophyte
Member # 32140

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thelorax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if your skin is dry after you get out of the shower, put a light moisturizer on your face while the skin is still a bit damp, it helps lock in moisture...sounds like bull but it really works...cetaphil is good, gentle, cheap.
Posts: 11 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.