Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Finding exercise where you can (when you've got to look harder)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finding exercise where you can (when you've got to look harder)
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As many of you know, I used to train and teach boxing, kickboxing and basic self-defense.

Sadly, when I moved from Minneapolis to Seattle this year, I discovered that while our neighborhood has many, many awesome perks, a boxing or kickboxing gym/studio wasn't one of them. I walk, bike and bus, rather than drive, and the closest studio I have found thus far is a good hour away by bus, which means that any time I wanted to train, I'd be sucking up about half my day, which I just can't afford to do three times a week, especially when you also factor in that the cost of training here is overall higher, and since I'm not teaching here, I don't get the nice discount I got at my last gym.

There are two general gyms for me here (machines, some classes, etc.) but since for me, exercise is also about my mind, a room full of television screens just isn't conducive to a good workout for me.

Sigh. Anyway. This means I've had to get creative about ways to get exercise into my day at a level that works for me.

Anyone who has financial constraints, doesn't have sports at school, is in an area without good workout options, et cetera, has had to deal with this.

So, I figured that we might have use for a thread on creative, inexpensive ways to get good exercise, especially with those contraints or space constraints.

Yoga is a biggie for me: yoga was designed to be able to be done anywere and in very small spaces, so I'm starting to get back into yoga practice, which I'd shelved for a while there, save on rare occasions or just to stretch out. Vinyasa/flow or kundalini yogas are actually decently aerobic, so if the slow hatha approach doesn't work for you, yogas like those which are faster and more flowing can be a good option. Mats are helpful and inexpensive, as are yoga bricks, but neither are even needed: you can do yoga on a rug and use books for bricks if you need them.

There's also enough space in my front hall (and a high enough ceiling) that even on a rainy day, I can pull out my hula hoop (it's a good, heavy, taped hoop meant for tricks, cost me amybe $20 a couple years ago) or my jumprope ($10 anywhere you go for a good one), crank some music and get a good twenty minutes in. Both of those are fun and can get your heart rate up. I can also shadowbox when I'm done with that to at least keep my form strong. (Would that we had a place to hang a heavy bag here: with a 100-year-old hardscrabble house, though, the ceilings won't likely hold 60-100 pounds of weight.)

Any time it's decent out and I need to go somewhere -- even if it's just a handful of blocks away (though in Seattle, that often means a handful of big hills) -- I'll hop on my bike, and make a point of extending my errand to get at least a couple extra miles in on it. Given the fact that the hills here are so extreme, so it always feels a bit dissapointing that while in Chicago and Minneapolis, I could do 10-20 miles no problem, in some spots even two miles here wind me, I have to push myself to do it more than I used to, but so it goes. I have an excelent hybrid bike, but I didn't pay a dime for it: I got it from a friend who does triathalons, so buys bikes often, and gave me hers. Used bike shops are also pretty easy to find, and if you learn some basic bike repair, upkeep is also cheap and easy.

Even just walking my dog a bit longer than she needs is a help. Obviously, my feet were free. [Smile]

So....do you have limits per getting physical activity in? What are your creative solutions?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any big exercise machines or anything in my house so what I usually do is sits-up and push-ups. It doesn't need much things and are simple to do. The problem is finding the time to do those and keeping my motivation up.

Doing jumping jacks are also something I sometimes do. And I do trampoline, I don't know if this help my cardiovascular system or not but it doesn't seem to do much for me since I could be doing this for hours and not be tired.

And I forgot something I really like to do : the X-Box dance mat. I don't know if you've heard of it but it's a good work-out exercice and plus it's really fun to do. And it gives you approximatly how many calories you've burned which is a plus.

I'd really love to try yoga though. Do you have any good ressources Heather I could rely to or any suggestions or something like that for a beginner like me ?

[ 12-16-2006, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm considering getting a cute little beach cruiser or something to ride to the local college, since the parental figures are still being stingy with transportation and I can't afford my own car.

The school is 10 miles from where I live which sounds like a lot, but I realize it's less exerting at a slower pace and sitting down, as opposed to walking. I'm also slightly concerned about safety on the road and thievery.

Also, what do you do if it rains, and you don't have a car? [Confused]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take the bus.

You CAN also ride in the rain so long as it's not very intense rain. You just gear up for it, ride with extra caution, be sure your bike had good reflectiors and/or lights, and I tend to pick sidestreets then.

Per the thievery, get a good lock system where you can lock both the frame AND both the wheels. I use a long kryptonite lock, which can fit both my frame and front wheel, and then have an additional cable which I can attach to the lock and run through the back wheel when I'm somewhere where I think that may be an issue (unless you have a quick-release on your back wheel, taking off a back wheel takes some time and effort, so).

Just bear in mind that fixed-gear bikes like cruisers often aren't the best per if you have any hills or anything like that, however painfully cute they are (and they are, I agree). Too, I find that however much I dig amazing looking bikes, I'd rather have one that's less shiny and such for daily riding, just because a) it's less likely to get stolen and b) I don't have to worry about banging it up, etc.

Per the yoga, cool, it depends on what type you think you'd like. There are a LOT of good yoga books out there, and also plenty of DVDs and the like with basic instruction if it's all new to you.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really bad at the whole exercise thing. During the school year, all the exercise I get is from walking. I live on campus, at the edge of town, and I try to resist the temptation of taking the bus to my classes and into town.

During the summer, when I'm at my parents' place, I go jogging a couple of times a week in a nearby park.

(The sad part is that I actually have a membership card to the gym on campus. I have had this card since the first semester and I renew it evey semester, determined that this time, I will use it. And I never have. I don't know why, but something about the idea of exercising in a room full of people turns me off.)

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One suggestion, if you're low on money and have the time for it, is to get a job at a local gym/studio/whatever. I worked at a rock-climbing gym over the summer, and not only did I make some extra money, but I got to climb for free, which was awesome (especially because it's usually $18 admission... yikes). Obviously that won't work for a lot of people who don't have time or any kind of studio within a reasonable distance, but if money is the only issue, it's a great way to resolve that.

And cool, I'm definitely with you on the situps and pushups. I have a gym in the basement of my dorm (I'm so spoiled, I know... [Roll Eyes] ) but last year when I lived at home, I'd do situps and pushups. Also, if you have a sturdy tree anywhere around (that isn't on someone else's property, obviously) you can do pullups.

If you know any dances - The Electric Slide, Cottoneyed Joe, heck, even the Bunny Hop - find a copy of the song that goes with it and dance around your room. I promise, the electric slide can be done in ridiculously small spaces! [Big Grin] You feel very silly, but then you start laughing which is actually a great ab workout, so double bonus! Hee hee.

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per the thievery, get a good lock system where you can lock both the frame AND both the wheels.

I haven't tried one myself, but there are now a variety of folding bikes being made - they can be collapsed into a smaller space so potentially you can take them with you, stash them indoors, or whatever.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alea
Activist
Member # 31146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, dance mats are the way to go. It's not too expensive ~ $50 for a padded USB compatible mat, including shipping - and with Stepmania, the choice of songs is really infinite. On the harder difficulty levels, it's fairly intense -- but the great thing is that almost all of the songs come with an "easy" mode. My fiance brought his pad to his parents house, and now they've bought a pair and use them for exercise and just fun when company is over. Seeing his grandpa try "Butterfly" was a great deal of fun. [Smile]

--------------------
Obscurity is the refuge of the incompetent.

Posts: 58 | From: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working at a gym/fitness centre is a great idea to save money, as LucysDiamonds suggested.

I work at a private recreational club in my city, and I get all the same privileges as members do, minus the 20 grand initiation fee and 2 grand in annual dues... and they've got everything: a gym, 2 pools, tennis, squash, raquetball, badminton, skating, curling, bowling, and lots and lots of fitness classes like yoga and kickboxing that i can take...

It's a pretty sweet deal [Smile] I just go to work and squeeze in some activity before or after my shift, since we can use the locker rooms and shower too... [Smile]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to school in California, and the environment there is incredibly conducive to exercise. When it comes to running, I will only do hills (flat land bores me to no end), but when I want to make it to the gym, the nearest one is only a five-minute walk away.

I am back home for winter break. Home is in New England, where a) it is cold; b) the nearest gym is 30 mins away by car and c) the only hills around have absolutely no space for joggers. Sometimes I go anyway--but only when it's very bright and relatively warm outside. Which is pretty rare.

So anyway, I sometimes go nuts with my mom's cute little exercise ball. There are a variety of strength-training exercises you can do at home, although I admit it--I function much better at a gym, or in an exercise class. If you are interested, however, you can look some up online--just google "exercise at home." When I am cooped up at home, I find myself doing random things like wall sits (if you couldn't tell from my hill-running tendencies, I have strange tastes in exercise) or leg lifts. Mostly, I like to stretch.

In fact, I think I will stretch right now.

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually read a really good idea today:

Doing lunges and squats while blow-drying hair in the morning.

I thought it was pretty clever. [Smile]

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lunabell
Neophyte
Member # 32448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunabell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exercise...oh goodness. How many years has it been my New Year's resolution? Bah!

I always want to do it, but never seem to have the time. I think the best approach though (and what I think I'm gonna work on) is finding the best workout possible - something that you won't have to force yourself to do, but you'll look forward to doing, and end up putting aside time for without having to mentally slap yourself into it. =)

Also, having workout buddies is great, because it becomes fun with friends, and you end up finding yourself putting aside time for it that you never knew you had!

I saw somebody mentioned stepmania, that's awesome. =) I have DDR myself, and it's a ton of fun. Unfortunatley, there's no real safe room in my house to do any jumping around. ^^; As far as fun goes though, a friend of my mother's gave her one of those "fit to strip" dvd's and that looked like something that would be fun to do with a bunch of girlfriends. Laughter is exercise too, right?!

Posts: 4 | From: NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NervousFreak
Neophyte
Member # 32524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NervousFreak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing so good with my running, going three times a week, at least 5 miles each time, and my time was improving, I was running further each time, and then . . . I had a paper due
I find it so hard to try and get any exercise, I start for about a month, and then something else takes precedence. My mom organizes a 5/10k run in my home town every September, so I train for that all summer, then I swear I'm going to run during school, but school has so far always taken over.

But I have a new plan, well it's the same plan I've had for five years, I'm just hoping I'll follow it this time. I'm just going to exercise when I can, it's too hard to work it into my schedule consistently so whenever I've got a spare half hour and it's not dark outside, I run.

--------------------
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Posts: 14 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who do martial arts with a lot of kicking (kickboxing, tae know do, etc.), how do you practice kicks alone? I have a lot of floor space but no special equipment. I suppose I could work on things like balance and technique alone, but what about improving the strength or accuracy of the kicks? Thanks in advance!
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Just found this, Lena.

If you can get a heavy bag, obviously that's the ideal. But even those lightweight blowup bags help, as can a lightweat "headache" bag -- they're small punching-size bags, low-cost, that suspend from floor to ceiling (so you need to be able to drill a hole in both). They're at head-hight to practice punches and head stroke kicks.

If you can swim, you also can work on kicks for increased strength that way, as water provides resistance.

One new quickie addition from me, the sad little boxer wtih nowhere to box, is that in lieu of not having a studio space or a bag or training partner anymore(and my partner has offered to train me with pads once or twice, but he's too skittish when I throw punches and kicks for that to be of any use), I've been amping up my yoga practice, trying to do one 30 minute basic set every morning, then add on some intense jundalini work a few times a week.

I am not a big fan of DVDs with yoga, because I prefer to do it eyes-closed, and I've also done it for so many years that I can easily create my own practice sets. But, every now and then it's nice to freshen things up, inject some new stuff, and hear a voice and I lucked into finding Misty Tripoli's Tribal Yoga pair on itunes. Relatively cheap ($10- a pop), made to just be audio, and really fresh workouts. The first one is fantastic for a morning wakeup set, and I also dig it coming from (and thus, my fiscal support of) a woman who seems to have really done a lot of personal work with her own body image and with listening to her body: it's a cool thing. She's a little crunchy-granola in her language, but no more so than I am, so if you can tolerate my brand of inspirational talk, you'll likely be good with hers.

So, that's my infomercial for today.

[ 02-21-2007, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecofem:
For those of you who do martial arts with a lot of kicking (kickboxing, tae know do, etc.), how do you practice kicks alone? I have a lot of floor space but no special equipment. I suppose I could work on things like balance and technique alone, but what about improving the strength or accuracy of the kicks? Thanks in advance!

100 bucks will get you a nice punching bag that can move up to all heights levels. and is easy to fill up with water/sand so it wont move.
I got that during Taekwondo and Im loving it even though I dont do TKD anymore.

Another thing for just practicing your kicks is you actually dont need a punching bag just kick normally on the floor and do really slow kicks like your kicks are moving in slow motion.
It will build up your leg muscles faster and it will get you to be more accurate and learn every movement that goes into your kicks. It will also hurt like mad the first few times you do it until your legs get use to going so slow. (since you can feel all the muscles slowly moving when you go slow and you can feel your knee lock it is a bit weird at first) But believe me it made my accuracy all the better doing it that way.
And in TKD I was known for Sparring and was the state champ so that helped me alot. My kicks were my weapon basically.

I do yoga now in the morning, than basic Taekwondo practices (kicks, punches on the bag and off) than weight training. I would go running but I have horrible ankles and its just not going to happen.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dorkasaurus
Neophyte
Member # 32456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dorkasaurus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't like sports or gyms, so the exercise that I get I usually get from walking or yoga. Sadly, it's not enough. (I don't walk pointlessly much since I got jumped and mugged, and yoga classes can be expensive in the city.) DDR is a great (and fun) workout ^_^ wish I could afford it and the necessary trappings.

--------------------
"We are all born naked, and the rest is drag." --RuPaul

Posts: 19 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Heather and Elizabeth!

Elizabeth: Why don't you fly over once a week to share your champion TKD skills (and a package of soy dogs)? [Smile] I didn't realize those water/sand bags were "so cheap" (well, long-term); this year transporting/moving is an issue, but I'll look into getting one later. I really like your slo-mo advice; I'll try that out.

Heather: I didn't think of swimming (water+kicking=increased strength) as a way to practice kicking, but that's such a good point! I'd get a bag to hang, but my room has 11 ft ceiling and crackly plaster that can barely hold up curtain rods in certain places.

I finally started yoga last year when I took a course with a friend and had a very patient teacher. (I really like the idea, but have trouble with things like meditating or sitting really still in a position.) The person you recommended looks good; a more energetic style would probably be a better fit.

One of my roommates seems keen on helping me should I get some pads. He's not really athletic or someone who trains but apparently has experience with punching from growing up in an area where teen boys would box each other on the street for fun... In the US, we used those floor "bags" and it was mostly women and for fitness; my group here was pads only with an emphasis on sparring each other and I was the only woman. I really liked the instructor and the people were nice; however, I totally saw myself getting kicked in the by someone who was (also) pretty new at it, so I decided to stop (for other reasons, too.) I then did taekwondo, but my heart just wasn't in it.

What I do have is a huge room with a great hardwood floor and big bay windows. (I seriously could host a small yoga class if I could find a willing teacher.) I went jogging today, focusing on sprinting, and had such a great buzz afterwards. I did some capoeira angola alone today (focusing on the dancing/acrobatic aspects) and I was reminded of how much I love it. I think I'll face my fear/experience of instructor ego and funky group dynamics to join a group after all here in the Spring. However, as fun as fun and as expressive as it may be, capoeira doesn't really teach practical self-defense or "streetfighting" skills, so I'll definitely try to incorporate both of your recommendations. [Smile] (Whoo, this is long!)

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks, Heather and Elizabeth!

Elizabeth: Why don't you fly over once a week to share your champion TKD skills (and a package of soy dogs)? [Smile] I didn't realize those water/sand bags were "so cheap" (well, long-term); this year transporting/moving is an issue, but I'll look into getting one later. I really like your slo-mo advice; I'll try that out.

LOL If you want to pay for me to fly out there once a week im totally down! :-P The cool thing I like about my bag was it was easy to move up here from TX. The bottom of it comes off so it fit in the trunk of the car easy with plenty of room for some suitcases and other basic things. If you wait tell around christmas time you can get the bags for half off at the local sporting goods store in your town. Thats when I got mine and It was like 50 bucks. And sometimes i've seen them on black friday as low as 25.

Good luck Lena on the working out.... I wish I had a huge hardwood floor. I bet you can find some other people in your area for yoga or just get a group of your friends together for once a week yoga. I use to do that in TX with some of my friends we all met at a park once a week in the morning about 10 of us just to do yoga. It was fun and relaxing and we got to gab it up afterwards.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleMissSunshine
Activist
Member # 33438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMissSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a busy college student, it's hard to find the time! I feel horrible sitting on my rear studying all day-not getting any activity, yet, it's necessary!

I did competitive dance for many-a-years prior to college, and continue to take classes at a local studio. Not the same, but still activity. I also do yoga (FREE!, provided by the University) once a week. I try and walk as much as possible to and from campus, and I run on my the treadmil at my Mom's house when I'm home for a weekend.

Much to my dismay, this isn't as much as I'm used to. I just don't feel "right" if I'm not extremely active throughout the week.

My "creative" solutions:
Running the stairs in my apartment, "power-walking" around campus with some friends, plain ol' streching out in my apartment, or comming up with silly dances.

Posts: 64 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed I've been watching too much TV, but I can't help it because there's some really good stuff on this time of year! To counteract some of the laziness, I got one of those big, inflatable bouncy balls, and instead of sitting on the couch, roll it nearby and bounce.

I'm only up to 10-15 minutes at a stretch because we can't afford air conditioning and it's getting majorly hot here, but it's beneficial still cause not only am I active without thinking about it, it helps resist the urge to tube-snack. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh, Lauren, that is SUCH a good idea!! I am totally going to copy you. [Big Grin]

Also, something I've noticed people do where I work, which may or may not be possible for other people depending on their work environment... but a lot of my coworkers will eat lunch at their desks, and then take the half-hour lunch break and just put on a pair of sneakers and take a walk around the building, inside or outside depending on the weather. It's a good way to get moving in the middle of the day if you feel like you don't have time for (or access to) the gym or what-have-you when you get home.

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not_a_hobgoblin
Activist
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who loves music almost more than I do, so during his "music time," he's started putting his tunes on his headphones and walking circles around his house. I like to go walking with friends - wandering around the neighborhood is a great way to catch up - and with my mom. I also almost always put on really loud music while I'm doing hosework, and try to "dance" more while I'm cleaning; I don't know how much that actually does for me, but it makes cleaning more fun. :-)

--------------------
"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Considering it's snowing an unusually large amount where I am right now, I'm getting a lot of exercise shoveling and trudging through snow. It's a great workout although I think I've had enough of the powdery white stuff for now... either that or I'd like a pair of cross-country skis or snowshoes. [Smile] Usually I go to local fitness center to work out but nothing beats getting a workout from doing stuff around the house.

Where are YOU finding exercise when you've got to work harder?

Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great topic. Thank you for the ideas, Heather and everyone. I need to fix my bike tire so that my roomie and I can bike into town for groceries and such. I also now really want a jumping rope!

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Bonnie: my other new fave of the last few years is hula-hooping. You can get a good hoop (they're better than they were when we were kids: they weigh a lot more and are larger) for as cheap as $25.

When I first started, it took me about a year to really just get hooping around my waist and hips solidly down, but since, I've acquired all kinds of tricks.

When the weather is wet here in the PNW -- as you know it so often is -- I have a space inside where the ceilings are high enough and I have enough space around me that I just crank the tunes and get down for a bit. And when it's nice outside, you can go out in a yard, to a park, wherever, and hoop. It's fun, it's good exercise, it helps with coordination, it's an awesome way to dump out some stress and it's cheap. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A week or two ago, my dad picked me up one of those step ups for step aerobics. Now, I'm not huge on exercise because I have relatively bad asthma and even just walking can set it off- but I'm hooked. I have it in my room, where I can put on my humidifier to help out my asthma. I put on a tv show (lately, it's been Lost XD) on one side of my laptop screen, and some old Jane Fonda video on the other side. Mute Jane Fonda, but follow her moves as I watch my show!

I don't know why I'm so much more motivated than I have been in past years... But I find it's really helping my anxiety and stress. School has been ridiculously busy (I have three midterms next week- yikes!), and working out has really helped me clear my mind when I've been studying for hours [Smile]

The step wasn't that expensive. I think it was about 50-60 dollars.

My biggest hurdle to exercise is mostly time. I like about an hour bus/train trip to the university where the gym is (membership is included in tuition), and I only have a 50 minute break 3 days a week which is right between classes. I'm usually too tired to go. By the time class is over, I need to get home because it's almost dinner time (my family always eats dinner together, so it's a big deal for me to be home for that). So being able to do something at home, at any time I want to, has really helped.

OH! And last semester my classes were at opposite ends of campus, so I picked up one of those Razor scooters so I could make it in time. Once the snow/ice clears and it gets warm again, I definitely start scooting around again. Not only is it more fun than walking, but you can really feel the burn in your thighs.

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Bonnie.N.Clyde, do you have a bike basket or do you prefer to wear a backpack? I've done both and have got to say that firmly-attached basket is a great help for heavy groceries.

Bun Bun, your workout sounds both so retro-fun (Jane Fonda videos!) yet modern (the split screen!) I can relate to the time thing: I can get to the fitness center place quite quickly and am always glad when I'm there but I find I'm often too tired (or, ahem, lazy) after a long day at work.

----------------

I've been walking to work and back lately, too, which I always mean to do but will sometimes drive when time is tight or I have to bring more than I can carry. However, I think it takes about the same time or less to walk than it does to start car/drive/park! I heard that people often underestimate the time it takes to drive somewhere whereas they often overestimate the time it takes to walk the same distance. After having lived in Europe for a few years where I was really spoiled by being able to walk or take public transport most everywhere, that was a really important thing to have when I came back to the US: those walkable places can be harder to find if you're not talking about a big city but they are out there, and I'm happy to be in one!

Cian
Activist
Member # 44405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get a whole lot of exercise, I think the most I get is running up and down stairs to the fourth floor and back down a few times a day, especially on laundry days. My housing complex doesn't have an elevator. (you can imagine how delightful that was when I moved in.)

I go on three walks with my dog a-day, two of them short and one of them long, usually in the forest so the dog stays stimulated by the changing terrain and I have to work a little harder myself. Now that it's winter it constitutes for a better workout-- IF you have snow, try walking or even running in it. It's like running in water, you work very hard but you hardly go anywhere. Especially if the snow is up to your knees or higher.

At home, when I do have the heart to lock my dog in the other room so she won't try to "rescue" me for lying on the floor, I do my muscle workout. 2 exercises for arms, 2 for back, 2 for belly and 2 for legs and usually some breathing exercises and stretches, takes about 30-45 minutes, at my own pace and according to my own strength level.

HERE'S MY BEST ONE.
Dance.
Just do it.
[Smile]

Posts: 239 | From: Europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bonnie.N.Clyde, do you have a bike basket or do you prefer to wear a backpack? I've done both and have got to say that firmly-attached basket is a great help for heavy groceries.

Hi Ecofem! I have done both, too. With the bike I am using now, there is no basket. It is less heavy and so my mom and I traded bikes so I could take it to college but I might end up getting the one with baskets again. I know what you mean!

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyenne
Neophyte
Member # 45883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheyenne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been a major sports lover, but after two major injuries and the shoulder and knee surgeries that go along with them Ive had to give up most the sports I love. I was very active in tennis, swimming, traveling softball, soccer, and basketball but my body just wont tolerate much of it any more.

I now walk almost every afternoon for about an hour. I will go jogging for around 45 mins 2 or 3 days a week if my knee will handle it. I live right on a lake so I like to go rafting and i think the rowing is a good exercise for my upper body. We hike alot also. Its a good way that Ive found to relax.

Im considering taking some dance classes with friends this summer. I lifeguard and teach swim lessons during the spring and summer and a friend of mine works at a dance studio where they give cardio dance classes for 9 hours a week for $15.00. Also joining in on pickup softball and basketball games and making sure not to exert myself too awful much has been a lot of fun [Smile]

Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.