Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » home remedies for canker sore relief??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: home remedies for canker sore relief??
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,
This last year I've started to get canker sores, and right now it's pretty darn bad (I have an outbreak of about 6 or 7 sores that are being completely aggravated by my braces).

I was wondering if anyone here knows any good home remedies to help deal with the soreness?

I cover my brackets with wax to keep the braces from really aggravating things more and I do have an antibacterial mouthwash my dentist prescribed to help keep sores from being infected, but they still hurt!

Thanks!

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know it's not a home remedy, but have you tried topical medications? Orajel is marketed to reduce pain due to canker sores (among other things), and I'm pretty sure its over-the-counter.

The wax for the braces is a good call.

Just wondering, has your dentist or doctor theorized why you're getting the canker sores in the first place? Sometimes (not always!) they result from vitamin deficiency.

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jay_d
Activist
Member # 31787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jay_d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aquamarine mentioned benzocaine/lidocaine/etc (orajel, ambesol, etc) as a topical anaesthetic; it's amazingly effective...

...if you're too poor to afford it (those little tubes are *expensive*), eugenol (3-MeO-4-OH-allylbenzene, oil of cloves is about 60-80%) has long use as a topical anaesthetic... most of the allylbenzene spice oils do, actually, but eugenol can't enter the brain...

...a little clove oil, or ground allspice or nutmeg (though nutmeg might also be psychoactive) could theoretically numb your whole mouth quite well. Might be a little bit of irritation on absorbtion, but usually, everything goes numb for several hours. Has a long and honorable anaesthetic history, actually. Very effective.

...herbalists often also claim that sodium glycorhrisate tends to inhibit viral replication of herpes at the level of DNA transcription. Whether or not this is a load of BS is open to speculation, but it's a mostly-harmless (and slightly delicious) extract of licorice root that's pretty easy to get in a decent technical-grade purity with some *very* simple chemistry.

...but, yeah... orajel or clove oil should at least numb everything.

Posts: 54 | From: Cyberspace | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"sodium glycorhrisate tends to inhibit viral replication of herpes"

Umm... I thought canker sores aren't the same thing as herpes? (which is what a cold sore is, am i right?) I was told canker sores are ulcers and not contagious.

As for why I'm getting them now, my doctor thinks it may have something to do with a combination of the fact that I had pneumonia this summer so my immune system was pretty compromised, and that I've had a lot of dental work being done (teeth pulled etc, all part of my orthodontic treatment). Also it can be hereditary, and my mom used to get canker sores at my age.

[ 12-16-2006, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: leabug ]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey lea: my partner also has canker sore issues, and as a smaller extra help, finds that when he uses a baking soda toothpaste, he deals with them a lot less.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm... I thought canker sores aren't the same thing as herpes? (which is what a cold sore is, am i right?)

Yup, that's correct. Cold sores are oral herpes, and not the same thing as canker sores.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jay_d
Activist
Member # 31787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jay_d     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm... I thought canker sores aren't the same thing as herpes? (which is what a cold sore is, am i right?) I was told canker sores are ulcers and not contagious.

You're right... I should probably stop posting in my sleep... sorry 'bout that.

Posts: 54 | From: Cyberspace | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jay _d- s'okay, lol, i just had a moment of panic! [Razz]

--------------------
Lea

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm prone to canker sores. A week or so ago, I had a pair of them finally heal -- they lasted 2 weeks. And they were a pair close together, so they merged into a mega-bitch-***-painful canker.

It was so bad I slept with my mouth open, and at work, I was constantly applying benzocaine gel, which burns like hellfire before it anesthetizes the area.

Still, a minute of hellfire is worth it for a good 30-60 minutes of relief.

Name brands include OraGel, Anbesol and OraBase. Whatever you choose (I picked CVS generic), go for the 20% benzocaine. 10% ain't nearly enough!

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esora
Neophyte
Member # 32661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for esora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Salt. It stings, but before bed put a little bit of salt on your finger and try to get the little granules on the top of the sore. Let them sit there, mouth open so as to not wash them off, for as long as you can handle it, or until your start drooling all over. I don't know why, but it works for me.
Posts: 5 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

(Hey there esora- welcome to Scarleteen! Just so you know, it's generally best to post on newer threads- often the original poster isn't checking up on their threads after a month or so. [Smile] )

(...and I just noticed this thread is my own, but the point still stands, people often don't check their older threads anymore! [Razz] )

--------------------
Lea

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.