Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » anorexic? please ease my worry.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anorexic? please ease my worry.
samantha357
Activist
Member # 29651

Icon 4 posted      Profile for samantha357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very long story short, will give details when asked [Smile] . And i don't know if this is the right place to post this, tell me if its wrong?!?

im on BC pills, went to a 3 day over night camp where food provided was not good at best. my stomach [not to be confused with tummy] got really small, used to small amounts of food. Im used to always being hungery. I've lost weight because of this, not alot as its been 3 days [Smile] , and would like to continue it without the worry of it being anorexia.

So my question? are the pills fixing the almost overweightness, or was i fine and im turning ana [anorexic]??

--------------------
"All is fair in love in war... wait... that doesn't sound right..."

The love you cant have lasts the longest, feels the strongest... & hurts the deepest

Posts: 81 | From: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(This forum is fine for this topic!)

I don't really see how your birth control pills are an issue here. The hormones can have an effect on weight and apetite, but usually it's not an especially large one.

When you don't eat as much, not only does your stomach get less comfortable with large amounts of mood, but your metabolism slows down as well. Because you were somewhere where the food wasn't great and you are little, it wouldn't be surprising that this would cause you to lose weight and to cause a drop in your appetite and metabolism in general.

Have you ever heard of crash dieting? Basically, it's a practice (an incredibly unhealth practice) where people will quite suddenly eat much, much less than they would normally to drop a large amount of weight in a short amount of time. The problem with this is that it often means you are denying yourself of nutrients you need to stay healthy and energy you need to function healthily during the day.

When you lower the level of food you intake, your metabolism shifts to make up for that- if your body is getting LESS food, it really holds onto what food it DOES take in, which means as soon as you start eating more, your body is essentially still holding onto all it can because it doesn't know when the next time is it will get more. For crash dieters, when they start eating more food again, all of the weight they lost rapidly, they regain just as quickly.

So, not eating as much as you're used to probably caused you to drop weight quickly, and if you were at a camp it's likely you were doing more activity during the day than you may otherwise which would add to that, but as soon as you start eating normally again, it's possible you'll gain some of the weight back (and turthfully, it would be healthier if you DID, it's MUCH healthier to lose weight through eating properly and getting the right amount of exercise than by denying your body of food).

All in all? It is a very BAD idea to try and continue to lose weight by not eating. Starving yourself for weight loss can have some very painful, very ugly consequences that are not at all worth any of it. If you continue to do it, it could very easily develop into anorexia, and you could also risk developing insufficencies in important nutrients in your diet.

I'd recomend if you want to continue to lose weight healthily, you DO continue eating as normal , but go ahead and schedule an appointment with your doctor. This way, you can look at your current eating habits and physique and discuss the healthiest way for you to be eating everything you need to to be healthy and the sort of exercise/activity you should be getting to help your metabolism and health, and figure out how that will help you to lose weight if you need to.

Does that answer your questions, is there anything else related to this that you want some clarification or advice on, hon?

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samantha357
Activist
Member # 29651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samantha357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
although i haven't talked to a doctor about it, i have tried healthy dieting on my own, but i can't stick with it. I get bored i guess, i don't know how to make myself stick to a diet plan. Some would say its because i don't want it enough, but that's just not it.

Thanks for your help, dailicious.

--------------------

The love you cant have lasts the longest, feels the strongest... & hurts the deepest

Posts: 81 | From: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Samantha,

How long has it been since that overnight camp and have you been continuing to eat very little since then?

Anorexia is quite complicated and it is an awful terrible devestating life controlling illness, so it is good you are concerned and asking foe help or advice now.

I have been struggling recovering with it for 7 years and it is not something that is easy to recover from at all. Even when you are physically normal emotionally and psychologically the eating disorder tries to control you.

There are numerous physical, emotional and psychological consequences from anorexia.

The thing is anorexia is not just about weight infact that is just the surface it goes much deeper and complex than that!

So can I ask:

Do you feel afraid of eating, do you find yourself always thinking about food and whats in it?

Are you restricting food and lying about eating or not to family or friends?

Are you happy with yourself, do you like and love who you are?

Because you are questioning it now it shows strength and you can avoid the pain of this leading to anorexia.

Anorexia is an illness not a choice or just a diet gone too far its complicated.

The thing is if you eat very little for while as you noticed your stomach then feels fuller quicker after this, this is because the stomach can shrink down if used to getting small quantities. SO if you go back to normal diet it can take while to adjust.

I am unsure of your weight? Normal weight range for any height varies by approx. 20lbs or more. ALso bodytype has to be taken into consideration/ Medically normal weight is a bmi (body mass index) of 19 to 25. So anything in that range is healthy weight.

If you are genuinely a little overweight, and noticed you lost a bit and wanna continue to lose a little to be in the normal weight range please do it the healthy way. As you are concerned obviously this could lead to anorexia and you are right if you continue to eat very little (restricting) you are engaging in anorexia behaviour and it starts as just that but quickly spirals out of control. And the thing is you believe as I did to be in control. But this is just an illusion of control.

Hopefully you are a healthy happy person and just noticed you suddenly lost bit of weight which is something you want as a health issue. I hope it is not bringing you into the hell and torment of anorexia.

Here is what I advise.

If you are in normal weight range just continue to eat healthy and excercise. Try and maintain at your weight and dont overdo exercise or concentrate too much on each food. If you are feeling uncomfortable in your stomach physically then eat same amount of kcals but spread over several smaller meals so its easier for you to digest.

IF you are a bit overweight and really wanna lose a little bit then follow a healthy diet and exercise programme, no restricting or fasting and no 'quick diets' and 'miracle diets' as they never really work.

Eat at least 1200kcals a day divided into 5 or 6 meals breakfast, lunch, dinner and two or three snacks. Do not exclude any foods completely.This is an example of what u could have obviously suit it to your likes and make it vegetarian or whatever if you I am but many arent so just gave a non veg version. You are getting plenty of fresh fruit and veg and good percentage of carbs which are important for energy.

B:Cereal or Toast(200), portion of fresh fruit(50)

S:Fruit or raw veggies (100)

L:Sandwich or salad with cheese/ham/pulses (300)

S:Biscuit(s) or cereal bar or small handful of nuts (100)

D:Chicken, Veg, Potato or Rice (350-400)

S:Yoghurt (100)

Exercise for 20 to 30 mins a day, most days, this can be a walk or cycle or anything u love.

The best way to lose weight if you NEED to is with healthy diet and exercise, and only lose 2lbs or so a week. This keeps it off. And as you are having good diet and not eliminating any foods all you have to do when reach ideal weight is to increase kcals enough to maintain at that.

So if you want to lose a little weight and this is healthy then do so carefully and slowly.

Hope this helps

Take care of you

WD

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samantha357
Activist
Member # 29651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samantha357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How long has it been since that overnight camp and have you been continuing to eat very little since then?
i just got back 2:30 today and lunch was small and two little dinners about 2 hours apart.

quote:
Do you feel afraid of eating, do you find yourself always thinking about food and whats in it?
Afriad of eating, most the time, think about what's in my food, never.

quote:
Are you restricting food and lying about eating or not to family or friends?
I try only to restrict junky foods, considering food is [or at least used to be] my bestest friend [Smile] . Sometimes, depends on who and what mood im in.

quote:
Are you happy with yourself, do you like and love who you are?
Absolutely not. There are days that i can't help thinking, "God i love me!" but most the time i find a million and one things that is wrong with me.

quote:
I am unsure of your weight?
i am 5'7" and...176lbs *ugg* right now. I am usually 178 when i wake up and 180-182 before bed. So these numbers at this time look pretty awesome to me right now [Smile] . But is that over what im supposed to be?

--------------------

samantha357
Activist
Member # 29651

just to add, the diet plan you suggested would not have been nearly enough last week. Don't know about now cause i haven't tried it [Smile]

--------------------

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just one little correction, wilddove: the caloric requirements for teenagers and fully grown adults are quite different; it's recommended that adolescents eat around 2000 calories per day, not 1200. 1200 is fine for someone who's finished growing, but a teen needs those extra calories for healthy growth.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh sorry karybu I didnt realise Samantha was a teenager. You have to be a lot more careful losing weight at that age. I was reccommending 1200 to lose weight for an overweight adult. Sorry about that.

Maybe the best thing is to go to a doctor or nutritionist to get a good diet plan to suit you needs if you really want to lose a healthy amount of weight.

It has only been a few days since you started these behaviours and the sooner you get on a normal well rounded healthy diet the better as the longer you continue with eating patterns that can lead to an eating disorder the harder it is to stop and believe me you dont want anorexia.

Your BMI is 27 so its a little overweight but not that much, I do not know exactly what amount you should lose as Karybu pointed out is different for adults and teens when doeting.

Go to the doctor to get healthy advice and diet plan as you are still growing this is important.

Take care and rememeber you are a wonderful good person and your weight does not determine who you are.

Love and Hugs

wd

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.