Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Eating Healthy. Need to lose 10 pounds.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eating Healthy. Need to lose 10 pounds.
Bubblebaby99
Neophyte
Member # 29308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubblebaby99         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, heres the problem. My weight is just about right ( I am 13, 5'2, and weigh 125) but I have a bit of a belly. everyone always teases me about it, and I want to get rid of it. Can anyone give me tips or sights to go on? And not just Eat healthy and excercise. Give me specifics.
Posts: 11 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're looking in the wrong place, honeybun.

You're very close to your ideal weight; there is no medical NEED to lose 10 pounds. Additionally, it's unrealistic for you to expect to change your bodily appearance much, especially when you aren't completely done with puberty yet. Women's bodies change throughout their lives, but especially from their teens through early twenties.

Nobody is going to advise anything BUT healthful eating and exercise, if even that, because any other way is not healthy at all.

I'm sorry that you're having a rough time. Feeling self-concious about your body because of others' comments can be a hurtful experience. But why not focus on a more positive way to accept yourself, and shrug off those who don't? [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, hon? No, you do not need to lose ten pounds. You are 13, and I am being completely honest when I say this: dieting and trying to lose weight at this age is unhealthy and ridiculous unless you are medically over-weight and at risk for health problems related to weight.

At 13, you are only in the beginning years of puberty, and trust me when I tell you, your body is going to go through a TON of changes naturally, which means weight fluctuations, weight shifting to different areas, the whole nine yards. Dieting at this point is NOT going to be healthy, and neither is improperly excessive exercise.

To add to that? When you lose weight, you don't get to pick and choose, and plenty of people who are very fit and are at a very healthy weight will naturally still have a bit of a belly. The flat-stomach ideal is sort of a silly, bordering on unhealthy myth.

Your best bet right now is to make sure that you ARE eating healthy- be sure you're getting the proper nutrients you need (calcium, iron, protein, etc.) and cut back on sugary and fatty foods (limit yourself to one carbonated beverage a day at most, make sure sugary snacks and candies are foods that you are eating sparingly, avoid foods with hydrogenated oils, things like that- that's just healthy good sense for life, not dieting). Also, find something active you enjoy doing and try and do it atleast about 30 minutes a day, three days a week. Biking, jogging, playing sports, really anything that you enjoy and that keeps you active.

And those are about the BEST tips anyone can give you! (If you want more information on things like foods which you should avoid in general, ask, since that is ONE more specific and healthy way of changing your diet for the better and that combined with healthy activity can help you have more energy, sleep better, and make sure your body is healthy!)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do NOT under any circumstances need to lose 10 pounds. no no no no no as someone who works out very regularly and has become very athletic over the past three years, no no no no no do NOT drop ten pounds!!!

You can tone your belly with some situps and crunches (buy a DVD or join classes at the gym). but if you are eating healthy and getting regular exercise already, don't change that. just add some abdominal exercises to your routine.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ditto Gummy- if you get your core STRONG, your muscles will keep everything flatter.

this includes crunches (regular and oblique).. easy easy easy to do, just make sure that you aren't doing them too quickly and that you aren't using your back (concentrate on your abs pulling your upper body up). don't need to sit all the way up. obliques- think opposite elbow to knee (don't touch, just think that general movement). start slow, do sets, not all at once.

[Smile]

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RubyRed
Neophyte
Member # 30477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyRed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many people say like above. that there is absolutely no need to lose any weight at all. Your weight may be healthy already but if you lose a few pounds you are still going to be ehalthy. It's about happiness.
Dieting and exersizing are great. why not go out for sports? Work alot harder than you normally would. Pretty soon it won't be about weight. It will be about how much better you look.

Don't worry about the weight thing. you are still growing. just put time into how you feel and how you look rather than worrying about each individual pound you lose.

the only time you should worry about weight is if you are anorexic or obese. for those circumstances it just isn't healthy.

--------------------
Red

Posts: 12 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dieting and exersizing are great.

Hey, we're all about eating healthily and exercising, but encouraging people to diet when they don't need to lose weight is not something we're going to be cool with here, okay?

As you say, people shouldn't be worrying about their weight or obsessing about losing it when they're perfectly healthy.

[ 08-26-2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: logic_grrl ]

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.