Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period
November
Activist
Member # 29762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for November     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a weird period less than a month ago, it was brown and my mom said it was probably just old blood. However, my boyfriend had fingered me a couple times prior to that and one time it really hurt, so I told him and he stopped. I'm afraid that the reason for that weird period was because I got an infection or something. I'm unsure about the whole deal. After my weird period was the first time we had sex and I was expecting red blood to come out, but it was the same color, brown. Even after having sex 4 or 5 times, there is still this brownish residue that comes out. And you know the white stuff that I'm supposed to find in my panties? Well, now it's brown. I had definitley planned on going to my doctor to get it checked out, but I just had my period 10 minutes ago, and everything is as red as it should be. Should I and Can I still go to the doctor?
Posts: 63 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, when you have a vaginal infection, your discharge is either thick, white or pasty with small curds. It is not brown. It just seems to be that is it some old blood indeed.

Also have you notice vaginal and labial itching and soreness ?
redness and swelling of the labia or vagina
pain with intercourse ?
pain or burning while urinating ? Those are symptoms of vaginal infection.

Your delayed period has nothing to do with an infection. It can be due to a lot of other reason which are way more common. I haven't heard anything that says that a delayed period has something to do with an infection. It can be because of stress, too much physcial activites or not eating enough or just plain old irregularity. I happened to have sometimes only brownish blood instead of my period, and yet it is normal.

And the fact that it hurt and bled is not abnormal too. It was your first time and some women bleed on their first time and sometimes even tough they are not on their first sexual intercourse. It can be caused by a lot of reason. Maybe your boyfriend was too rough, your hymen was stretched... As for the fingering, your boyfriend might have caused you injuries with his fingernails, which resulted in a little bit of bleeding.

As for the brown blood in your panties intead of normal vaginal dischare it is totally normal because you said it yourself you are starting your period.

So I wouldn't worry much here. If you still want to get it confirmed by your doctor, go see him. If that can reassure you.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it's time for a trip to the doc. You will have to wait until your period has finished, but after that, a gyn appointment is definitely in order. Brown discharge is often a sign of infection, so it needs to be looked at.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
November
Activist
Member # 29762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for November     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.
Now I have to wait a week+ to see the doctor AND have sex???
I don't know if I'll make it. ::wink::

Posts: 63 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
November
Activist
Member # 29762

quote:
Originally posted by cool87:
Also have you notice vaginal and labial itching and soreness ?
redness and swelling of the labia or vagina
pain with intercourse ?
pain or burning while urinating ? Those are symptoms of vaginal infection.

None of those happened.
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Just listen to what karybu said since he is a mod and I'm not.

To be frank, I am quite confused about his answer. I was quite sure of my answer.

I tought, and I have my sources, that brownish blood is not a sign of infection in most cases. It is normal. It is simply old blood. It happened to me before and that's even what my doctor said.

It can be linked to an infection if there is like curls in it, if it has a bad odor (other than the one you have during your menses) or if it happens really often without you having sex or being fingered. And that doesn't seem to be your case. Having sometimes brownish discharge between or instead of your period is normal. There's a lot of threads about this in here.

So please, karybu, or at least other mods, I'd like to know why you guys think this could be an infection. I'd like to know in what it is an alarm bell for you. I just didn't see it the same way you did.

[ 07-10-2006, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brownish discharge that lasts only a few days around ovulation or just before or after menses is perfectly normal. But brown discharge that goes on for a month is not. And although vaginal infections are often accompanied by itching or soreness, they need not always be. It's the length of time this has been going on that makes me think it's something other than just old blood.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Thanks. But I just don't see where she says that it has been going for a month. She had it a month ago though (brown discharge instead of period) but it has not gone on for a month. She bleeds but after having sex. But it was on her first time and the few other times after, so this could be normal.

And she's just started to see brown blood coming out without having sex but she says her period is here so it's normal again.

But I understand the fact that it might be an infection if this is going on for a long time. I just didn't think it was her case.

Anyway, I told her, it would be better to go see her doctor to confirm that everything is normal or to confirm an infection or something else.

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Please don't argue in this way on the boards, okay? A user wanting an answer to their question isn't helped by that.

If you have a question for a moderator about their factual information, you can easily send a moderator notice.)

Why might what November be saying signal an infection?

A big bunch of reasons.

She has ongoing unusual discharge. She has said this is ongoing, and no, ongoing brownish discharge is NOT normal. Brownish discharge a couple days after a period often is, but after that, it's something to look into.

She has had discomfort with vaginal entry.

From the sounds of her other posts, it's safe to assume this is not a partner who is wearing latex gloves and practicing safer sex per manual sex (I'd bet hands aren't even being washed just before), which elevates the risks of infection.

Bleeding after sex continually is NOT normative, unless a partner is being forceful, unless the woman isn't aroused, isn't using lubrication, etc.

She has not said she HAS had a recent exam to verify that it is NOT an infection.

Understand that because Scarleteen is NOT a replacement for medican care, it is vital that if we think something like an infection is a possibility, we suggest a user seek out medical care. That's both a legal and an ethical issue.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And just to be clear:

quote:
Usually, when you have a vaginal infection, your discharge is either thick, white or pasty with small curds.
That is often the case with but ONE ytpe of genital infection, with a yeast infection. The symptoms of say, bacterial vaginosis or chlamydia are different than those. So, what you've said there isn't accurate.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Sorry !

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.