Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » All vegan and vegetarian people

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: All vegan and vegetarian people
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to make a thread for all the vegetarian and vegan people out there.

I have some questions.

-For how long have you been a vegetarian ?

-For what reasons did you decide to become a vegetarian ?

-Have you seen that your life has been affected in a positive way by this ?

-Do you think a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle is healthier?

- What kind of vegetarian are you ?(do you eat dairy product like eggs and milk or are you more strict)

I would like you to answer those questions and Miz Scarlet also. I'd really want you to answer that one. As I know, you've been a vegan for many years.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.

Per being vegan, not so many. I think I'm at about my third year now.

But I started being vegetarian on my own steam when I was about 11, so that's certainly been going on for many years. I never really ate all that much meat before then, anyway: we were poor, and it was just never something I had a big taste for.

For me, veganism/vegetraianism is about both health and ethics. We do have plenty of evidence to show both ARE healthier for most people, but for me personally, that's an absolute. Can't really say much about how I feel when I eat meat since I don't (but see the next para for a tidbit on that), but I sure don't feel as well when I eat dairy. You earnestly couldn't pay me money to eat it again, that's how profound the difference in my overall health and energy levels have been.

On an emotional level, it's a matter for m of harmonizing how I eat with my Buddhism and my feminism, as well as just living in what feels harmonious to me with the other living members of my planet. I don't imagine, for me, that I'd enjoy eating and cooking like I do, that I'd feel all that great about myself if I ate meat.

I do, now and then, fall back and eat fish, and that's been especially a challenge for me since I moved to Seattle, where it is EVERYWHERE, natively. My partner, who I live with, will eat nearly anything, but is a big carnivore, so sometimes it's hard to meet in the middle with our communal meals, and all too easy to fall back on fish (which ethically, I'd really prefer not to eat, but health-wise, doesn't seem to make a profound difference in how I feel). And previously, my rule has been that besides the food the cat gets, meat doesn't enter my house.

But, we've been trying to come to some middle ground here of late, and the best way to do that so far is to keep chicken breasts and fish here for him, and for us to make meals in which the protein used can just be added, so we add tofu or tempeh or seitan for me, fish or chicken for him. That means there is meat in my house (of course, he also wears leather, so there already was), but it also means that we can meet in the middle with me still eating only what I feel 100% right about.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Well, my turn now.

When I was a kid, I used to eat meat just like a normal family would.

I started becoming a semi-vegetarian when I was
about 14. At that moment, I wasn't eating red meat but was still eating chicken and fish and also dairy. I don't really know why I quit eating red meat, maybe that was because I had been eating too much of it in my younger years.

I can't say that I really like the taste of meat either. For me, I was just not getting the point in eating living animals just like us. There was another way for me to eat proteins and iron which does not involve eating animals. To be honest, it was just not appealing for me to eat animal flesh with all the blood that goes with it.(Sorry for the non-vegetarian out there)I was still eating pizza though at that point sometimes from time to time.

Since about two years now, I still don't eat anymore red meat: no pizza, no steak, no nothing with red meat. But I've also stopped eating fish, chicken and eggs. Now I can say that I'm a real vegetarian.

In my life, I was the one who decided to become a vegetarian and it was so hard in the beginning since I was the only vegetarian in my family. They couldn't understand the fact that I wouldn't eat meat and I think they still don't understand. At first, they tought it was just a phase. That I will eventually get bored which I didn't. Since I was not eating meat like the rest of my family, I had to cook my own meal, which improved my cooking skills a lot.

My family for some time that it was an unhealthy habit (mostly my brother), that I would be missing big time on important nutrients such as iron and proteins. That's what happens sometimes when a person don't really know about a subject.

Now, I still eat dairy though : milk, ice cream and cheese. Cheese is my BIGGEST flaw. It's sad because it is just unhealthy, it contains lots of fat. But that is a source of proteins. I would really like to become a vegan. I'm trying to. I don't really eat a lot of milk now. And by the way, I have a question. Why do a lot of people feel better after they stop eating dairy. I just don't see how dairy can affect your health if you are not lactose-intolerant. Miz Scarlet, do you have an answer for that since you've experienced it?

I think that a vegetarian lifestyle is really healthy as long as you still exercise and eat fruits and vegetables not only bad carbs. I've seen vegetarian people unhealthy because they were eating too much junk food. It is proved that a vegetarian is healthier: a vegetarian has less risk of obesity , cardiovascular disease, has low blood pressure, a lower resting heart rate, has more energy and so on.

I can't see whether or not I really have seen changes since I'm a vegetarian. Maybe that's because I've been a vegetarian for too long. But I've seen lately that I sometimes get tired and dizzy. But there's no way to know if that is really related to my vegetarian lifestyle.

But my health is overall really good.
I have really low cholesterol levels, low resting heart rate (below 60) and low blood pressure (about 108/58) below the average value So I guess I'll take this as a sign that I'm in pretty good health. I can't say that it is related to the fact that I'm a vegetarian though but I think it is kind of related.

[ 07-07-2006, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why do a lot of people feel better after they stop eating dairy. I just don't see how dairy can affect your health if you are not lactose-intolerant. Miz Scarlet, do you have an answer for that since you've experienced it?

Well, personally, I AM now lactose-intolerant. And part of the deal is, a LOT of people are, especially among populations of Jewish, African and/or Meditteranean descent.

But even when you're not, a lot of dairy is hard to digest, so digesting it slows your system down a lot. One thing you'll often hear vegans talk about is no longer getting that feeling of "food coma." In other words, that feeling you often get after you eat where you feel SO tired? For most people, once they ditch meat and dairy, they stop ever having that, even when they chow down on a vegan meal, big time.

Plus, if you don't buy organic, no BGH diary, those bovine growth hromones are another factor in that.

Bettie here turned me on, years back, to a great book by Dr. Neal Barnard (he has articles online, too, if you flop his name into Google) called "Breaking the Food Seduction." He talks in a lot of depth about dairy, the natural opiates in it (which will also make you sluggish), about digesting it, etc. It's a good read (and has lots of awesome vegean recipes in it, too), if you're interested.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Well, thank you so much. That's so great ! I'm gonna read that book for sure. I didn't know about it, if I had known, I would have read it a long time ago. I'm really interested by these kinds of things.

Is it like a documentary book like the book Fast-food nation ? By the way, have you read that book ? It is so great. I learned so much while reading it and I highly suggest it to you if you're interested in how the whole fast-food thing works, the way they treat animals and workers, what we can find in the meat... That book just came to my mind while I was reading your post.

Great thanks again for the book. I'll try to find it in a library and if I don't, I'll read the articles on the web. Do you have any sites ?

--------------------

Monotonous
Activist
Member # 29530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monotonous         Edit/Delete Post 
Yey!

I pretty much agree with you two, for reasons on not eating meat.

I stopped eating meat right after my 13th birthday, so I've been a vegetarian for about 2 1/4 years. I stopped because I bit into a chicken leg, and blood squirted into my teeth. I screamed in disgust and brushed my teeth a few times. I came out of the bathroom and proclaimed dramatically, "I'm a vegetarian now!" and, as a result of how dramatic I was, no one believed it would last. I was always a big meat-eater, but dropping it surprisingly easy.

That night I went on the PETA website. I read about how animals are treated and started to cry at my contribution to this. For my 7th grade presentation project, I did it on the meat industry and described in graphic details what exactly it was my classmates were eating. I suppose I shouldn't be proud of this, but I convinced several of my friends to go veg that way, and it's worked ever since.

My family, like yours, Cool, thought I was going through a phase. After it lasted a while, my father got frustrated. He started making nasty comments to me at dinner and whenever I wanted to go eat at a restaurant. He told me I had to eat meat if I lived in that house. My nan covered for me and immediately went out to buy a storeful of Boca burgers. She's been so suppotive from the moment I made this decision. During the following Thanksgiving, instead of making a turkey, she cooked up this tofurkey (as I like to call it) for the family and never told them it was fake. My dad said it tasted different, my grandfather liked it, and my grandmother ate all of it.

I personally stay a vegetarian because I think that we are progressing as beings to be able to make healthier and more humane decisions with our food. Vegetarians and vegans usually do not have cholesterol problems due to decreased about of fat consumed in their diet.

Have either of you had the problem of automatically assuming that something doesn't have meat, because it just seems darn weird? It seems so strange to me that people actually eat that, sometimes. I'll order a burger at a restaurant and the people I'm with have to remind me that it has meat. I'm sure that sounds silly, but it just seems like common sense to me not to eat a beef burger. I dunno. Fortunately, a lot of restaurants around here substitute burgers for garden/veggie burgers. I would love to started a veg-friendly restaurant/cafe around here. It would get a lot of business. The population of vegetarians and vegan here in good ol' PA is steadily rising. It's very exciting. I really don't care if it's a trend to care about animals. It's a darn good trend.

I also wish I could go vegan, Cool. I don't drink milk, I drink soy milk, but I do eat things that are made with milk. I eat soy ice cream, but I eat cheese. As with you, cheese is the culprit. I can do without milk. But cheese... It makes me feel so selfish, too, being so for animal rights. The way they treat animals in the food business in general is just terrible. I have two friends who are vegan, but they kind of don't eat. They eat granola and fruit and that's it. I love food. Love love love food. I couldn't live like that. Also, I don't like vegetables. I don't like salad very much, except for Olive Garden's. What do you eat Miz Scarlet? Considering Italian food is also a huge part of my life doesn't make it much easier, what with all the cheese. Maybe when I'm in college and too poor to go out to eat, I'll become vegan. I need to stop going out to eat so much, anyway.

Since I've been vegetarian I feel, overall, just healthier. I haven't gained or lost weight, I've just been fluctuating. I have lower cholesterol and blood pressure (you and I have the same blood pressure, by the way).

Cool, have you ever seen Super-Size Me? That was a documentary on McDonald's food. Their fries don't biodegrade for like, 6 months. That's pretty sick scheisse. Also, I've heard of the book you're talking about but I haven't been able to find it anywhere except online.

I'm glad you started this topic, Cool.

Miz Scarlet, you are so cool. I wish you were my mom.

Posts: 59 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Yes. I've seen the movie Super-Size me and the fries was something that really suprised me. But it is not the same when you eat it. With all the enzymes that we have in our stomach, it makes it easier to break down fries, so it doesn't stay that long in there.

Also, what surprised me was the fact that McDonald fries are not made from vegetable oil, as they say, but from beef seasonnings.

Also, for the book, if you don't find it, which yould really surprise me, wait until the movie goes out. There are now doing a movie with the book.

This book is really good. I know a lot of people who read it and decided to become a vegetarian after.

--------------------

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Wow ! I've just read a few articles and I think I'll never eat dairy again.

They say that there are morphine and antibotics in dairy products. And that, concerning cheese, it is even worse.I know about the antibiotics thing, but didn't know that there was addictive chemicals in dairy products.

They say that it is in small dose. But is it effective ? I mean can we really become addicted because of the morphine ? I've never seen someone say that they are addicted to dairy if you know what I mean. Some are addicted to cheese but not milk, as for as I know.

And, as for your articles, do you have any websites where they will talk more about it. I've looked on the net and there are only few articles that resume what the books says. It doesn't say much. I'd really like to see a research he has done, the entire research not a resume of it.

Right now,in the articles I've found, all they say is that it contains morphine which could cause people to become addicted to dairy.

--------------------

feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a vegetarian for quite a while. When I was little (like, a toddler) my parents were vegitarian, and so I was too. But, seeing as I was such a picky eater, my mum had trouble cooking for me. So, when I was about two or three, my family went back to eating meat. Then, four years ago, I decided to become a vegetarian again. I was doing fine with it, until I started having protien deficiencies. So I stopped for about four months. Then I started up again, this time eating more things like tofu and rice and beans and less bread and pasta. Things have worked out just fine, and I don't plan on stopping being a vegetarian any time in the near future.

My reasons for becoming a vegetarian were almost entirely ethical. I have don't really have anything against eating meat in and of itself, but I have strong objections to the way that animals are treated before they're killed for food. Plus I can't really stand the thought that something I'm eating once had thoughts and feelings.

I did have some difficulty, at first, giving up meat. I used to LOVE it, especially in the stews that my mum would always make. Some of my favourite dishes had meat in them, and that was hard to give up. But, once my mum found a good ground soy meat for spagetti sauce and a really fantastic recipie for artichoke stew, things got better. Now I can happily say that I have no memory of what meat tastes like, and no desire to find out.

I personally haven't noticed much of a change, positive or negative, in my health or my life since I became a vegetarian. I have lost a bit of weight and gained more muscle mass, but I don't think that's really because of my vegetarianism. Though I do think my conscience is clearer because of it. I just feel better about myself, generally.

I do eat eggs and milk, mostly because my mother still cooks for me, and it'd be asking too much of her to have to make vegan meals for me every day. She already has trouble coming up with something vegetarian for me to eat at breakfast and dinner, because the rest of my family isn't vegetarian. I think I'll probably become a vegan once I start cooking for myself, since I'm willing to put in the effort to cook non-meat foods.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am vegetarian trying to be vegan on and off since I was 14, I fed little baby lambs one christmas at a wake on farm of a greatuncle and couldnt really after that.

Never liked milk anyway, would have cheese occaisnly still, i'm allergic to eggs, sometimes I have Icecream or chocolate and these are always vegetarian but not always vegan

It is ethical and health reasons, plus I find certain foods (mostly ones that are or contain animal products) disgusting and idea of them makes me feel unwell even

I have been struggling and recovering with anorexia for 6years, this is not directly linked to vegetarianism, so I have to be careful when I cut out another item to be vegan that I am not limiting myself so much that I have millions of excuses not to eat [Smile]

So to sum up I am veggie for ethical reasons(i dont like or think its neccessary to kill animals to survive) and I think its a healthier diet

I am slowly becoming vegan but carefully due to my history.

Its easy to cook for especially if you take recipes from meditrrean and middle eastern cusines. Italian is my fav food and so many gorgeous recipes that are veggie(ie they are trad. like that not just telling u to substitute stuff always!)

www.vegsource.com is a great resource site

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian (meaning I eat eggs and diary, but no meat) for almost three years. The night before Thanksgiving, I came across Peta's Meet Your Meat and vowed then and there not to eat meat again. I lost 20 pounds (I was a little over weight before I went vegetarian) which brought me self-confidence, and ever since I became vegetarian, I've been able to connect with different kinds of people. I do it because of the cruelty involved in factory farming and because of my health and for the health of others. My mom, who's pre diabetic, and my overweight father have been enjoying vegetarian meals along with me, and it's inspired my hotdog and chicken eating boyfriend to try something new. Because of my vegetarianism, I am able to connect with tons of different people. After joining the animal rights group at school, I've not only met a lot of new people, but I also got a lot of support and help with my diet. For our end of the year trip, we traveled an hour to eat at an organic restaurant. There's nothing like chowing down on blackened tofu and seitan while chatting with people who believe in the same things you do. I plan on becoming either a raw foodist or vegan when I'm out on my own.
Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cool87:
...also stopped eating fish, chicken and eggs. Now I can say that I'm a real vegetarian.

By the way.. myth breaking here: eggs (unless you buy fertilized ones, ugh) are (not vegan, obviously) (technically) VEGGIE!

Anyway.. on to my bit:

-For how long have you been a vegetarian ?
Been veggie for a veeery long time. Can't remember really. At least 8 years..

-For what reasons did you decide to become a vegetarian ?
Numerous, but mostly because I'm an animal rights person...... and loff my many fuzzy friends [Smile]

-Have you seen that your life has been affected in a positive way by this ?
most def.. I feel better, I have to make more healthy choices (can't just go to McD's), that sort of thing

-Do you think a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle is healthier?
YES.

- What kind of vegetarian are you ?(do you eat dairy product like eggs and milk or are you more strict)
I'm a pescivegetarian... I eat some fish. Being veggie and not vegan I do eat dairy/eggs.

[Smile]

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

I was wondering if vegan people ate let's say cake or something that is made with eggs ? Normally, it would make sense if they don't.

But I just find it hard to avoid everything that is made with eggs or milk or cream, like chocolate or cake.

Anyway, I tried going vegan for the past few days and I can tell you that it hasn't been hard for me. And I'm feeling way much better now. I'm less tired. You were right Miz Scarlet. I've just learned that almost 70 % of the population are lactose intolerant.

I don't know if I am. Not if I look at the symptoms. Can you still be lactose intolerant without having the symptoms ? Is feeling tired a symptom ?

I looked at the effects of milk but I just don't know if that's really true. Is it propaganda ? They say that milk leads to obesity and diabetes for example. That you can get addicted to it ? I just have a hard time believing that milk can cause that much thing.

--------------------

blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
addicted? leads to obesity and diabetes?

i think you mean soda... (although its the caffeine that's addictive, and the high fructose corn syrup can cause diabetic-like changes in your insulin or something, but not diabetes outright)

the internet isn't the encyclopedia, remember..

yes, being vegan is tricky- veggie is considerably easier as eggs/dairy are allowed. (being 'lacto-ovo' veggie and just veggie is the same IMHO..)

i wouldn't be able to do no dairy.. i like (real) ice cream, and cheese, and yogurt, and cottage cheese, and BREAD.. and cookies!.. and brownies.. and.. you get it [Wink]

i do try not to overdo the dairy, though.

i found that sometimes (like when i'm sick or my stomach's upset) that I can't eat dairy without issues- this is why they make Lactaid 8) you can take one of the pills right before you eat a meal with dairy and see.

feeling tired sounds like not enough sleep, not enough 'energy nutrients' (protein, carbs, fats in proportion), maybe iron.

keep in mind that if you start excersizing and drastically revamp your diet at once and don't keep the protein level high your body will start metabolizing muscle instead of fat to get the extra calories.. that'll make you tired!!!

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never liked eggs (the taste, texture, everything) or gelatin. I never liked jam or bacon or any of those types of things either. But before going "vegetarian", I was the kind of kid who would always eat meat, order it every time we went to a restaurant, etc. I would eat red meat at least 5 times a week.

At 12, we were studying vegetarianism in Philosofy, and I freaked out. It showed the dangers of too much cholesterol in your diet, amongst other things. I realized my diet was NOT healthy at all. So I decided I would stop eating red meat, pork, and all the other weird animals my grandmother cooks (ever heard of a tepezquintle?). That was really easy,since my mom doesn't eat that either. It's been even easier since we don't live with my dad, the only cow killer in the family at the time. I tried to give up chicken at the time too, but my parents told me that it'd be too hard on them for cooking options. But now that I live just with my mom, I'm disscussing the possibilities with her again. I don't know if I could drop fish completely though... when I live on my own, fish will be the only occassional meat to be in my house. But lately, I've been feeling really sorry for fish too. My boyfriend usually plays with me acting like a fish, and ever since then I can't help but think of him when I eat tuna! I saw a movie on fishermen and I felt like crying. I really hope to be a real vegetarian some day, or if anything, kinda like Mz. S who sometimes falls back and eats fish. I'm sorry, I love sushi.

As for dairy products, I don't even consider it, I love them, especially cheese and yogourt (not so much with milk). To me, the greatest cruelty lies in killing the animal, not milking them. I would like to make sure they don't treat the cows badly in milk farms though. I always make this joke that I have a campaign for flying cows. Cows should fly and be free! Look at their lives! They're spent with other people constantly getting them pregnant and killing their children and/or squeezing their boobs. I love cows ^^ I say flying ones are my inner animal. The last time I ate meat was against my will. I was at a small concert, and I was starving, and the only food available were tortillas and cabbage with either steak, sausage, or pork. I felt my stomach lurch, but what could I do, I was starving. I chose the steak and put lots and lots of cabbage on it, and quite honestly, it tasted like absolutely nothing to me. I didn't miss it.

I really haven't noticed much change in my health after eliminating most of the meat from my diet, though my mother is happy because she was worried my cholesterol levels would be high because of my previous eating habbits (but they're ok!).Emotionally, I feel better. And it's something that kind of sets me apart in a country where most typical foods involve some weird section of a butchered animal.

We have 3 vegetarian cookbooks at home with lots of variety, and I order vegetarian food whenever I can at restaurants, but with other people in the same house who love chicken and fish, it's hard. My mother was a strict vegetarian for a while, so she really likes the food, but I don't want to make her cook vegetarian ALL the time if she doesn't want it. And there's not too much to choose from here. You guys are really lucky because you have soy chicken, fish, etc. I haven't seen it here. And they don't sell tofu at the stores, though there's a few asian mini markets around, so I'll look there. I love fried tofu!!

But yea...I'm working on it. Wish me luck!

[ 07-23-2006, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Nailo ]

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DuesExMachina
Neophyte
Member # 29779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DuesExMachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been vegetarian for over a year and its been a great lifestyle. All the things I've read here make perfect sense, and make me want to think more about being a little stricter with myself... I eat dairy and eggs, and will occasionally (maybe once every few months) end up eating broth or geletin or fish, usually out of courtesy for someone who cooked, or limited options at a restaurant.

I stopped eating meat from one day to the next because it really wierded me out- the thought of eating flesh, and the texture and stuff. That's about as far as I go ethically- but I love the health benefits. I feel lighter and energetic when I'm full of salad and toast instead of steak or something.

Good luck to everyone here!!

<3 <3

--------------------
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Posts: 4 | From: Long Beach | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've considered becoming a vegetarian, but never actually got bothered enough to make a stand and do it, if you know what I mean. And reading all these posts is making me think that maybe I should.
My only problem is that all our meals at home have meat in them and especially I don't know how I'd manage lunch (I love ham sandwiches and I'm not keen on cheese, although sometimes I have cheese and Branston pickle, which is great although those of you Stateside have probably never heard of it).
My dad's also really ANTI-vegetarian. That probably sounds really strange but let me explain: He thinks vegetarianism is unnatural, because humans are omnivores and should eat meat and vegetables (as well as dairy, cereals and everything else).
I really disagree with this, but I've never really said so. And I'm worried that he's just going to try to talk me out of it, because then I know I'll just get really angry with him. I don't like being angry. [Frown] Another thing with my dad - he bought a baby Venus Fly Trap a few weeks ago and now it's grown he insists on feeding any insects he finds to it. I really don't like that, but he sees it as really unreasonable if I say he shouldn't kill the insects. I have to catch them without him finding out and release them outside the house.
I've thought a good first step (since I will DEFINITELY need some kind of substitute for meat) would be to try some soy, quorn and tofu products, and just see if I like them. I'm sure I probably will, and then I could say I want to be vegetarian. Of course, I'll leave home for university in 2 years, so part of me thinks I should wait until then and avoid the argument.
Finally, my BIG problem: I love seafood. For me, I don't see how this is any different to meat-eating, so being a pisces-vegetarian (or however you spell it) really wouldn't be an option for me. I hate normal fish, but I'm mad for stuff like prawns, scampi and calamari. I used to like mussels but I'm going off them since I find out they're alive until you cook them [Eek!] . And of course there's no veggie substitute for seafood. It's also a pain that most restaurants' 'veggie options' are like a vegetable curry, rather than a tofu curry. For those of you who don't know, curried vegetables are disgusting.
So any advice you have would be really useful. Thanks.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI

Go to www.vegsource.com it has lots of advice and recipes and articles and reasons to be vegetarian.

Dont get angry at your dad be the mature calm one, A point put across calmly and confidently is a lot more effective.

You can substitute a lot of things for meat and you can become vegetarian gradually too.

Quorn is actually good taste, if you use the mince packet instead of minced beef it makes a great lasagne or bolognese and no one can tell its not veggie it tastes better even.

Quorn fillets and pieces taste quite a lot like chicken too. So just mix with whatever sauce or marinande you usually do for other meats.
Quorn contains egg so not suitable for vegans.

It takes a while to figure out what you like and what works for you. Look online and fins some recipes there are so many. Try changing one meal a day to veggie, to start and accustomise to it.

Sandwich ideas, use bread or pittas or wraps. Peanut butter, cream cheese or sliced cheese, couscous, rice and bean salad in pittas or wraps.

Pasta salads are great too for lucnhes. Get a little tubberware container for it if you are out of house for lunch

good luck

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I'll look that up.
By the way have you heard the theory that chickens don't exist? The argument is that everything tastes like chicken because chicken is a processed meat made of everything. [Big Grin]

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Oh, just another little thing: How should I bring this up with my parents? I mean the idea of doing it just before a holiday sounds logical, but my mum would just freak out and say I was adding extra stress to the whole time.
And I really don't know how I should approach this because my parents hardly ever take me seriously. I've been asking to have a doctor's appointment because my asthma has returned for ages to no avail.

--------------------

wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

How old are you Joseph, I think I read before you are 17?

I know it is much tougher when living with the folks to do things. I would make a doctors appt yourself and go,obviously its good if your parents will take you but if not I am almost certain there is nothing illegal stopping someone over 16 in uk to go to doctor, I am in Ireland so laws similiar but vary a little.

Tell them directly but be prepared, know your reasons without forcing them or implying your mum or dad are wrong to eat meat. Have some recipes and food ideas. Do you often prepare your own food? Maybe you can start to help with dinner and do your veggie alternative?

IS it a holiday self catering or eating out? IF eating out it helps that your mum or whoever cooks doesnt feel pressure at the start of this to cook for you.

You seem very reasonable and mature and remember its your body and choice they cannot force you to be an omnivore.

Show them you are serious, they may think it wont last long, but once they see your commmitment to it and that you are helping and preparing your food and maybe you could even cook a veggie meal for them.

I remember when I went veggie they did not like it and made it hard as possible but when my brother did there were no arguements and my mum always made effort for him. Dont know what that was about. Favourites a bit or maybe they just were used to the idea and I hadnt died off or anything so they were cool with him being veggie!

Good Luck

And please go to doc for asmtha, as u know it can get serious and is not nice so you are entitled to medical treatment with or without mum and dad!

Take care

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Thanks so much for your advice, I think I'll try that and see if they take me seriously for once. [Wink]
I'm actually 15, so I don't know if that stops me from making an appointment by myself. It's strange, because I had asthma before really badly and I get stabbing pains and tightness in my chest more and more these days. You'd really think they'd take me seriously.

--------------------

wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

I am not sure, I think you can go to the doctor yourself but they may have to contact your parents. You could always phone and ask the receptionist if you can see a doctor by yourself at age 15.

I know doctors let minors in to be examined by themself but unsure of exact laws and rules. Tell your parents you really need to go to the doctor hopefully they will take you if you explain these syptoms.

Take Care

Mina
Neophyte
Member # 29057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I became a vegetarian about three years ago. I never ate red meat and I hardly ate white meat or eggs. I never liked the taste of meat and only ate it because my family has always been big meat-eaters and my mom often forced it on me. I also think that its...disturbing to eat other animals. Not so much wrong, because other animals eat other animals (not comparing us to lions and tigers and such. Just saying its part of the natural food chain). I just think its weird to eat something that had...blood and veins and all that. It just doesn't sit too well with me.
I think I've become healither since becoming a vegetarian, mostly because I'm not conscious of what I eat now and tend to make healthier food choices.

--------------------
In a city created with
a perfection calculation,
there is only one truth. I love you.

Posts: 31 | From: Washington | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Well I talked to my parents about it, who claimed to have no recollection of me having complained of chest pains and then got angry saying I didn't tell them anything. But I got an appointment this morning and got an inhaler. Thanks for the advice. [Smile]

--------------------

wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Thats good Joseph glad you got your appointment and inhaler, hope you feel better soon.

Relationships with parents can be tough, And they differ from childhood to teens to adult. And as technically you are a child when under 18 it is sometimes hard to get the balance in their role as parent.

They want to and are supposed to protect you and try to make decisions that are best for you but unfortunately many parents find it difficult when its a teenager and its at this stage when parents should really be making decsisons with their child when it comes to things like diet and activities and choices for the future. Obviously some decisions they make for you especially when much younger but I think it is important they let you try to make decisions and choices for yourself too as long as they are healthy positive decisions and are not going to cause you harm or danger!

Have you decided to discuss the vegetarian subject yet? Hopefully they will be reasonable and supportive.

Hope it works out well for you. I think it is only when you get to be over 21 or 22 or even a bit older that parent child relationship really becomes a lot different and can be more relaxed and more of a friendship too. I was always friends with my mum, but she was a parent first, now that she is not responsible for me and what I do and knows I can make good decisions usually its easier.

Being a teenager sure is not easy, it is fun and a great time of life but tough to, not that long ago that I remember it having great points but a lot of difficulties and confusion too!

Take care

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

I've decided to bring the vegetarian thing up a week or so before I go back to school in September (just in case anyone was thinking of it, I don't want to think about how many chickens/cows/pigs/etc. that is. [Wink] )

--------------------

AB
Activist
Member # 29608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For how long have you been a vegetarian?

I'm 14, turning 15 in August.. and I've virtually been a vegetarian most of my life. When I was younger, my mom would make pizza, and put spinach on it instead of pepperoni. It was actually really good. I lived on a vegetarian diet for most of my life, until my mom moved out and in with her boyfriend when I was 12. Since then, I have lived with my dad who eats soooo much red meat. He kind of expects me to eat what he eats, but I have been able to mantain a vegetarian lifestyle. I used to eat a little chicken (I've never ate red meat), but now I'm a full-out vegetarian and seriously considering following a vegan lifestyle.

For what reasons did you decide to become a vegetarian?

Eh, that's just how I was raised mostly, and I just don't like meat. Red meat makes me sick, and I just don't like the taste of any meat. And I'm also for animal rights.

Have you seen that your life has been affected in a positive way by this?

I haven't really eaten much meat in my life, but I think I'm fairly healthy.
I'm a little underweight for my age(90 lbs), but other then that, I think of myself as pretty healthy.

Do you think a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle is healthier?

Yeah. I think so. Whenever I would eat meat, I'd feel horrid.
I think vegetables are more healthier then meat, and the way animals are slaughtered in this world is pretty bad.

What kind of vegetarian are you ?(do you eat dairy product like eggs and milk or are you more strict)

I don't eat eggs. I do eat dairy products, so at this time, I am not vegan. The only dairy products I eat is.. Well, ice cream. I don't like cheese, and I drink almond or soy milk.
But I adore ice cream. I'm going to look into soy ice cream, and my dad buys it since he's allergic to regular ice cream.
My older sister, who is my favorite person(she so rocks), is vegan. Whenever I'm over at her house, she makes these fantastic vegan meals. She drinks soy milk, and there are no dairy or meat products in her house. She has a 3 year old son(he turned 3 today! [Big Grin] ) and that is how she's raising him. I think that's so cool.
My sister also works at a health food store, and she get's discounts on everything there, and so do I because I'm related to her and the manager there likes me. [Smile] I usually hang around there when she works there, and read the vegan books they have.
Has anyone here heard of Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard? They wrote two books called How It All Vegan and The Garden Of Vegan. There have great vegan recipes; I suggest all the vegans out there look up those books.

[ 07-25-2006, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Imogen Eyes ]

--------------------
"think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a f***ing sharp knife to it."
- banksy

Posts: 58 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ScarcelyHeard: I heard you say something about raw foodism? I've heard very little about it, and I didn't see it come up in vegsource.com. I'd venture to say it's rarer than vegans or vegetarians. All I know is that they don't cook food more than a certain point because cooking kills enzymes and some vitamins. I'm curious. What's raw foodism's philosofy about dairy? Apart from raw food, what else does raw foodism imply?

For my own note... I was a bit sad because my mom said the soy milk at the supermarket was about 4 times more expensive than regular milk [Frown] . So... I guess that means I'll be sticking to regular milk. At least for now. Are there any other cheaper alternatives?

[ 07-26-2006, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Nailo ]

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nailo - rice milk? I don't know if it's cheaper than soy milk, but it's certainly worth checking out.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.