Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » hypoglycemia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hypoglycemia
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it normal to feel really tired like every three to four hours ? I often feel lightheaded, have no concentration, yawn often and have headache. And I sometimes drink water but it doesn't do anything. But when I eat, my symptoms all disappear. It isn't anemia and my blood has been tested but it was fine. But it was only hasard glucose. You know, they take glucose at a particular moment (any moment, after supper,dinner,mid afternoon, mine was after breakfast) and look at the value. And it was ok. Could I have hypoglycemia ?

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you started to change your diet yet to add more complex carbohydrates and vegetables? More beans, nuts and proteins?

If not, like I mentioned to you before, the kind of daily diet you had going would likely leave you low energy a lot.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Yes. I eat healthier now but maybe I need more time to adjust.

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

I am trying to eat healthier and eat more vegetables and proteins but it just doesn't work.

Every time comes meal time, I feel so hungry that it's carbs I want to eat : bread, pasta... There might be a blood sugar issue going on with me here or it's simply because you get addicted to sugar. It's not diabete nor a thyroid problem though.

Maybe I should prepare my meals in advance so when comes meal time, so I will not be looking for a quick fix for my blood sugar.

I've read a lot of books on hypoglycemia and those things because I tought for a long time that I had hypoglycemia. In fact, I have all the symptoms of it but my doctor did a hasard glucose test and it was normal. So I guess this is not the issue here.

Many dieteticians suggest eating more proteins in order to stabilize your blood sugar and not have those sugar cravings. But the thing is that it really doesn't help me. When I eat an healthy meal, at the next meal or at the end of the day, I'll be eating bad carbs a lot.

That's really a problem, sugar is not healthy at all. It's not like I gain weight but eating so much sugar, it's just that I want to eat helthier. By eating too much sugar, eventually it cuts place for healthier things such as vegetables or proteins. And that becomes a problem since you might end up having nutrient defiencies if all you eat is mostly empty foods.

So, how can I try train my mind in eating more healthier food, not sugar ? I wanted to avoid eating sugar for a while, you know at least dessert, but it came to an end soon. It didn't work. I ended up eating after that even more sugar. When I drink water, it also doesn't help in reducing my cravings.

So any insight on this ? How can you eat healthier and stop those sugar cravings ? I want to know what works for you .

I know about eating more fibers, drinking more water, more proteins, doing physical activities (it helps reduce hunger), eating each two or three hours ... but those doesn't work.

So what should I do ? I'm starting to think this might really be a sugar addiction ? So, how to overcome it ?

--------------------

blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cool87:
I am trying to eat healthier and eat more vegetables and proteins but it just doesn't work.

Every time comes meal time, I feel so hungry that it's carbs I want to eat : bread, pasta... There might be a blood sugar issue going on with me here or it's simply because you get addicted to sugar. It's not diabete nor a thyroid problem though.

Maybe I should prepare my meals in advance so when comes meal time, so I will not be looking for a quick fix for my blood sugar.

Sounds like you need to eat more frequently, and don't let yourself get so hungry and let your blood sugar crash. Some people (me included) need to eat smaller meals more frequently to stay healthy.

Eat breakfast. When you snack, make it count. Easy things: yogurt w/ fruit and granola, cottage cheese with fruit or on toast (experiment!), apple and peanut butter or cheese, dried fruit, a protein bar (Odwalla bars are my favorite), crackers and cheese, whatever. If you're a carnivore (unlike myself), deli meats can be a good addition to snacks.

WATCH YOUR SUGAR INTAKE...

Example: one Dannon Frusion thingy, if I remember correctly, has AS MUCH SUGAR AS A SODA if not more- and that's something around 40 grams. Bad. Bad bad bad.

Yogurt rules, for me, are plain with honey. Applesauce is always unsweetened. Sodas only every once in a while. Ice cream in small amounts.

It's HARD to live in society and watch your sugar intake. High fructose corn syrup is concentrated and processed and NOT healthy for you. There's a study, I think, that reported that it causes diabetic-like changes in your insulin and makes you more susceptible to diabetes.

Stay hydrated... drink a lot. It's a ridiculous amount but chances are you will feel better. Gatorade is full of electrolytes but is usually even more full of our lovely friend high fructose corn syrup. Eeaugh. I like vitaminWater myself: tastes much better, has much less sugar, and it's sweetened with crystalline fructose, not syrup, and there aren't any unpronouncable things besides the vitamins [Smile]

This is not to say no pasta, no bread, no whatever: the carbs need to be BALANCED. So, cheese tortellini with pesto sauce, steamed veggies (like broccoli or cauliflower) with butter, and a salad with light dressing (ie vinaigrette or italian instead of ranch) is still a very much OK meal. but spaghetti with butter and nothing else?.. not so good.

You have to STICK TO IT for a while before you start seeing results. Your body can't stop getting sugar, etc and start getting real food and go 'OH yay! Veggies! Protein!' and immediately switch. However you WILL feel better if you take care of yourself properly.

good luck- it's hard but worth it. I do this too because I'm the same way. If you need an emergency blood sugar raise, a small piece of good chocolate, small brownie, etc can get you through the rough spot while you make your snack/meal so you can follow it with the good food to KEEP yourself stable. [Smile]

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.