Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » pelvic pain?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pelvic pain?
MissSmarty
Activist
Member # 28387

Icon 11 posted      Profile for MissSmarty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My tests came back from the doctor. According to the pelvic sonogram I have a cyst on my right ovary to keep an eye on and the Urinalysis was okay. Im not sure what they test for in the urine. My problem is I am not at all satisfied. I went to the doctor with the concern of the pelvic/genital pain that I have been having on and off for a few months. I still don't have any questions answered as to what it is. When I asked she said it could have been a cyst bursting. But considering the duration I have had this dull pain I don't think that is it. Should I trust that if it was something serious she would have seen it on the sonogram or reccomended another type of test?

Another thing, I have been orally active with my boyfriend for a little less than a year. He has been tested for STD's and they came back negative. He is the only person I have been with in any way. I realize there isn't an HPV test for guys. So where does this leave me? Does HPV cause pelvic pain if it doesn't caues genital warts?

Posts: 118 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be pretty skeptical of just being told to "keep an eye on" an ovarian cyst by a medical professional. Was treatment mentioned at all, like being put on birth control pills, or at least pain medication? Did your doctor schedule a follow-up to check up on you? Even so, I'd be wary of a doctor who can't answer your questions.

Is there a way you can switch doctors or get another opinion? If not, you need to schedule another appointment and be very firm in requesting additional tests, explainations, and treatments.

In response to your question about HPV, it can cause precancerous cell growth on the cervix, so yes, it could cause pelvic pain. PID is also a common culprit. Getting re-tested for those on your next visit would be a good step.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good number of ovarian cysts work themselves out, so a doctor telling a patient to keep an eye on a cyst, as long as that patient did not have a history of ovarian cysts, is actually not that strange. All you really need to watch out for is very sharp pains after you've been told you have one (when I had an ovarian cyst, my gynecologist basically explained that in the event of a cyst brusting, it will be very painful and could be potentially dangerous to go to an ER asap, and from what I've heard from others who have suffered this, it's not going to be a dull pain- she also told me just to keep an 'eye out' if I felt any of these pains or if I had reoccuring cysts).

Still, I definitelly agree with Miss Lauren in that a doctor who can't answer your questions and/or doesn't explain things very thoruoughly is not doing their job- if you can, I agree that it wouldn't be a bad idea to seek out a second opinion and see if you can get your questions answered.

[ 05-01-2006, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Thank you for the correction, dailicious.

I myself had a dermoid cyst the size of a tennis ball, and had no symptoms until it started to twist my ovary. So I guess I'm a little paranoid on the subject. I'm assuming if the doctor said to just keep an eye on it, then it was just a small, fluidish cyst that could disappear on its own, as you said.)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxhollyxx
Neophyte
Member # 28785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxhollyxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 05-14-2006, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: xxhollyxx ]

Posts: 5 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MissSmarty/xxhollyxx,

I know where you're coming from ... I had a cyst rupture too. Not fun, huh?

Also, we don't allow users to have more than one username. Please pick either 'MissSmarty' or 'xxhollyxx' and stick to it.

Thanks [Smile]

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissSmarty
Activist
Member # 28387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissSmarty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I just checked out this post again and xxhollyxx isn't me. I don't know who that is. [Smile]

Anyway, I have been keeping an eye on it. I am trying not to worry and am reminding myself that the sonogram didn't show anything major or cancerous so everything is under control. I am calling to make an appointment at the gyno tomorrow. I have been finishing school and out of town and scared to go [Frown] I know that I will feel much better once I know that I don't have HPV or if I do.

I was spotting today. I was discharging quite a bit and was out of liners so I put a tampon in for the afternoon until I could get to the store. I was shocked when I changed it to find some blood. And it hurt when I took it out. Unusual. THen I got really nervous that I had HPV causing it and the pain, or a bladder problem, or pregnancy (even though I haven't had a real pregnancy risk ever... Im still trying to let those pregancy fears from extreme circumstances and thinking sperm can crawl up my leg and live for hours go). I walked into the kitchen and felt really dizzy and had to sit down.

I finally started reducing my meds after talking to my doctor. I've read about the withdrawl symptoms which are pretty much anything and everything. Its just hard to believe that it can happen to me. Yes I have been on the antidepressants for six years and luvox is a drug that is quickly flushed out of the body (both factors which put me more likely to experience withdrawl). I hope I can stay calm and not jump the gun and play doctor. Im doing what I can and there is no reason to worry. Worrying is so useless and it just takes away your life.

Posts: 118 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.