Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » losing weight

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: losing weight
firefox1337
Neophyte
Member # 26261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firefox1337     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
since i stopped running Cross Country i noticed that i havnt been eating nearly as much as i used to. i find myself losing allot of weight. my girlfriend is worried about me cause i lost almost 8 lbs since i stopped cross country. I tell her that im not hungry as much anymore, she belives me but i just want to know what might be goingo on
Posts: 20 | From: Nevada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
calories in = calories out
that keeps your weight level. but apparently your calories in are less than calories out. that was probably a no-brainer to you.

but what else is happening is that you're not exercising your muscles as much and they are reducing down to a size that's more appropriate for "everyday-wear." you're losing some muscle tone. and with less exercise, you're not working up the kind of appaetite that you did when you were exercising strenuously.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm going to assume you are in high school (correct me if I am wrong). as an adolescent, your metabolism is going to e pretty high. usually you should have an appetite to go with that, but if you don't, and you're neither ill nor depressed nor on any medications that might decrease appetite, then there's probably nothing wrong with that.

Then again, if you have any reason you may be ill, or if you feel depressed, or if you are on new meds, please call your doctor and ask if lessened appaetite may be a side-effect or symptom of anything unusual.

how's your overall weight versus your height? are you in the healthy range or are you often told you are "skinny"?

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firefox1337
Neophyte
Member # 26261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for firefox1337     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes i am in high school i am only 15. i am about 5' 10" and i al told i am skinny all the time. I dont think i am that skinny but i guess other people do.
Posts: 20 | From: Nevada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pah, you're 15! you've got PLENTY of growing to do. And yes, you will fill out in a few years. It's normal to be a little gangly at your age. Just mind your nutrition and try not to get into any bad habits. Eat what you need, but never to excess. Take vitamins. Exercise moderately in the off-season.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah Bunny
Neophyte
Member # 26854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarah Bunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could eat an extra power bar a day or something that has some nutritional value as well as some calories. That should level you out. Maybe you are going through a growth spurt?
Posts: 3 | From: CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.