Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Hemorrhoids?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hemorrhoids?
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, geez, how to start?

So my so-called "problem" began eruptly on Thanksgiving Day. I was in the shower, while washing, felt a mass around my anus. A number of things popped into mind and I freaked out, grabbed a towel and ran from the bathroom. I decided to go talk to my mother about it and, while drying off, felt again only to discover that the "lump" had vanished. After I questioned my sanity, I asked mother and she said it was probably a hemorrhoid.

Now, I was raised for most of my life in a household that holds anything bathroom or "down there"-related as completely taboo. Add that to the fact the only dealing with hemorrhoids I have had thus far are the ones my grandmother had who, suffering from Alzheimer's, blew very much out of porportion (from what I can tell, at least).

So now here I am, four days before Christmas.

For the last week I've been pretty constipated and have been taking Phillips at my mother's suggestion. The hemorrhoids are still there, but, up until today haven't hurt or anything like I hear they do. About five minutes ago, though, I finally went to the bathroom with the help of said Phillips. But when I took in the toliet afterwards, I noticed that atop the stool was some blood.

Cue the freaking out.

So what should I do? I mean, do hemorrhoids bleed? Should I be worrying? Thanks for any replies.

Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hemmorhoids do bleed ... Especially when your bowels aren't cooperating (and you're constipated or have diarrhea). This is how a lot of people find out they have hemmorhoids.

First things first; while it does certainly sound like hemmorhoids to me, you really should visit your doctor to be sure. The exam is relatively easy ... Not unlike an annual GYN exam, only w/ a little different focus

I'm not familiar with Philips ... The best thing i can suggest for you to 'stay regular' is to eat adequate amounts of fibre, drink lots of water, and exercise. If you find this isn't enough, talk to your pharamacist about natural/gentle stool softeners. Docusate sodium (Colace) is a popular choice in the hospitals.

Try not to worry too much about the bleeding ... It's pretty common with hemmorhoids. If you're having a lot of bleeding or it continues, you may want to consider seeing a doctor sooner rather than later (either in a walk in clinic or ER). If you're sore (it starts to sting after a while, doesn't it?), soaking in a tub full of warm water and epsom salts should help. Try not to strain when having a bowel movement, and be gentle when wiping!

Good luck !

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Eh, the last thing I want to do is go to a doctor (not wise, I know V__V).

I'm getting pretty fed up with it, though. Up until right now, going to the bathroom wasn't painful (uncomfortable, yes, but it didn't 'hurt'). As soon as I get myself to stay 'regular' will they go away or are they there for good? And if my boyfriend and I have sex, will he be able to tell they're there? I had taken a mirror to try and get a look at them, but, man, was it hard :/ I'd never realize how difficult that could be, lol.

I don't know exactly why I'm constipated, though, my diet hasn't changed or anything.

Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that you don't want to go the doctor ... I didn't either. But then my conscience got the better of me (i'm a nursing student; i know better) and i went and guess what? They're just hemmorhoids and i'm going to live!

From what i understand of hemmorhoids, they come and go. If you can get some sort of bowel routine going (not constipated, no diarrhea), you may find that they disappear for a bit.

Unless you and your partner are having anal sex (which i would strongly caution against until you get this looked at, and while you're having issues), he probably won't notice. Mine never has

They are pretty hard to get a look at ... This is why we pay people to look at (and diagnose) them for us ... Ya know ... Doctors

Good luck!!

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.