Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Panic Attack

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Panic Attack
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so recently started working as a cashier at a grocery store.
On the weekend when it was really busy I had to work. I wasn't feeling all that great to begin with, and didn't expect it to be THAT busy.

Anyways, by my second customer I started feeling really weird, I got really lightheaded and dizzy, my arms and hands got all tingly/numb, and I thought I was gonna pass out or puke or something, and just felt like I was in a daze.

It was very stressful for me to be there, and I can only assume I had some sort of panic attack. I left work almost right after that in tears because I felt so horrible and scared.

Anyways, now since that happened I really do NOT want to go back there. I hate working at the grocery store, it's way to stressful for me, I can't handle the rude customers, and to top it off, I already have another job Mon-friday, AND I'm going to school full-time and am in my graduating year.

I'm so stressed, and freaked out I don't know what to do. I'm planning on calling my manager today and telling her that I do no not want to work there anymore because it's too stressful for me at this point.

But my mom is telling me I should stick it out for a few months but I REALLY don't want to, even though I feel bad for quitting after a only a few days. I really don't know what to do... anyone have any advice?

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panic attacks do exactly what you described; they frighten you, turn you away, and frankly, give you a very good reason not to go back.

You've got enough on your plate (or will relatively soon). Why add more stress? It's obvious that you don't want to go back, and something as frightening as a panic attack is hard to understand until you have experienced it (it's even worse when you're sleeping, trust me). While I can see your mother's theory on sticking it out, giving it another shot, etc, this is your decision. You've got to do what's best for you, and with a full time job and school, you don't want to weight yourself too heavy. The pressure will only mount as time goes on.

Personally, I say bag it. You've got one job, you've got class. You don't need any more stress, nor will you be able to really put 100% effort into all three if you take them all on.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who suffered for years with generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks, i figured i should comment ...

First of all, you need to see a doctor about this. I know it seems silly ... It seems like it was only a panic attack, it was stressful, but you were able to get through it. The fact is though, that there are many many conditions that can cause symptoms similar to that of a panic attack. For example (and i'm NOT suggesting this is the case for you), i used to have heart palpitations caused by an undetected arrythmia ... This would trigger panic attacks. B/c the heart problem was found later, it's still unknown whether or not the palpitations caused the anxiety or if they were related at all. My point is is that this should be looked into further.

Second of all, while i know panic attacks are scary, you can't be avoiding situations b/c you think you might have one. I was having panic attacks in class at one point, but i still had to go to class. If i didn't, i'd sit at home and have panic attacks thinking about what i might be missing by staying home. It all becomes a vicious cycle, and you end up missing out on life b/c you might have a panic attack.

That all said, if you truely can't work at this place b/c you're too stressed, by all means, drop it. If you try to hang on for too long and find you can't handle it, you may find your grades will suffer ... jeopordizing your grades for a job that you don't really need to keep doesn't seem like a sound idea to me.

Regardless of what route you take here, you need to start educating yourself on what you can do to 'talk yourself down' during a panic attack. It's a little harder in a work setting, where it's not always possible to excuse yourself, but if you can, do so. Take some deep breaths, splash some cold water on your face, and think back to the last time this happened ... Chances are good that things worked out the last time this happened, and you need to tell yourself that they'll work out this time too.

Good luck.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.