Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » cramp "cures"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cramp "cures"?
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any "natural" or herbal recommendations for cramps? I'm on the placebo pills of my first month of Ortho Novum, and the cramps are worse than ever. My body hasn't had time to adjust to the hormones yet. I've tried raspberry leaf tea, but it tastes funky and kind of makes me gag. I've also had acid reflux from HELL. It's one of my weird PMS symptoms, probably an after effect from the junk food cravings and such, so I'm not really concerned about that. A couple of antacids and a sugar-free mint usually take care of it in no time.

Still, the cramps are annoying the hell out of me. I've tried pain pills, and they work, but taking them for close to a week bothers me. I don't like taking painkillers at all -- they have a tendency to make me a little sleepy, and college has me exhausted as it is.

Are there any cheap herbal remedies for cramps?

[This message has been edited by daria319 (edited 11-01-2005).]

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here are some ideas for you, not sure if you've tried them yet or not.

- If you use tampons, stop. Absorbing flow can often cause greater cramping. So, consider switching to pads or to a Keeper or Divacup (which is also internal, like tampons, but contains flow rather than absorbing it, so less crampng)
- Don't eat meats and dairy or fatty foods during your period and for at least a handful of days before. Stick to light, easy-to-digest foods. If you drink caffinated beverages, do your best to cut back or cut them out during your period. If you're eating junk foods, stop: they make cramps worse.
- Add some ginger to your tea. Helps with the taste, and also with cramps.
- Go get an exceptional workout in: the endorphins help with cramps, as does increasing circulation, stretching your muscles, and having your body focus on muscle groups that aren't pelvic. There are also some yoga poses which are helpful, namely side twists, upward dog and lying side twists.
- Drink some soy milk or eat some tofu. Sometimes, the phytoestrogens help with hormone balancing. Red clover also has phytestrogens: most immediate source of that are red clover sprouts.
- Soak in a nice, hot bath, or use a heating pad or hot water bottle.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder, Scarleteen
ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen
"You have to love women who are brave enough to do things so big in a world where women are supposed to be so small." - Andrea Dworkin

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
aha! It's probably the all the fried chicken and cheesy stuff I've been pigging out on. Grease seems to bother my stomach too, and the dairy messes with the mucous membranes in my nose and throat -- they start draining down my throat (already irritated because of the cold weather) and I gag...ew...no wonder I've been feeling crappy lately.

Thanks, Miz Scarlet! Looks like it's just me not thinking that's causing the problem.

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, even if that isn't all of it, it's no doubt a big factor.

Do yourself a favor: slowly but surely, start cutting that stuff out of your diet, period. Not only will you experience less cramping and PMS stuff, you're going to feel a lot better overall. You'll have way more energy and greater concentration. You'll likely sleep better. You'll look better. Plus, your organs will thank you, as you'll help prevent gallbladder disease and other related ailments.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deunan Knute
Neophyte
Member # 25996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deunan Knute     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gingerale and a heat bag will sometimes work for me. Sometimes, I get physically ill during my period. Feeling faint, nausea, diarhea, etc, and there's not really much I can do about it. I've been sent home from school a couple times because of it too. My boyfriend thinks it might just be because my tiny little body has a hard time handling menstruation.
Posts: 23 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tiny bodies were meant to menstruate, too. If your periods are making you physically ill, you should defineatly check this out with your doctor, before assuming everythings okay.

When was your last pap/pelvic exam? If you havent had one yet, now would be a great time.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deunan Knute
Neophyte
Member # 25996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deunan Knute     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 18 and have never had one yet. I intend to go see a doctor about it soon.

This sounds about right: http://www.wramc.amedd.army.mil/departments/gyn/text_files/menstrual%20health/DYSMENOR.htm

Posts: 23 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

The ginger helped, but I found out it doesn't mix with raspberry and chamomile -- at least not in the proportions I used. It came out tasting not DISGUSTING but very strange, and not quite drinkable.

My roommates also agreed that cutting down on fried stuff would be good for all of us in general. We usually eat with one of my friends, and she can't digest corn(the doctor said her body just doesn't process it), so we've already cut alot of things out of our diets. I never realized that corn syrup is in EVERYTHING. It's insane!

Of course, it did prompt me to start experimenting in the kitchen -- I concocted this homemade barbeque sauce that has got to be the best thing on earth to kick up our leftover chicken on the weekends.

Anyway, are there any good recipes that aren't too carb-heavy? We're still trying to cut down on noodles and stuff because we eat them so often, and, well, we're all sick of `em! lol

Heather
Member # 3

Well, how about when you do pasta, you just double the amount of vegges and such you put ON the pasta? For instance, a staple of my diet (which is non-dairy vegetarian), is a pasta toss of sauteed spinach and basic, halves cherry tomatoes, red onions, broccoli, garlic and toased pine nuts, splashed with a little olive oil and balsemic vinegar. Same goes for pretty much anything: just make your lean protein, fruit and veggies in a meal the biggest part, and when you do add starches and carbs, do your best to make them whole-grain.

But really, if you're using good, whole grain pasta, that's less of a concern than the fried stuff. If you're going to eat chicken, for instance, it's healthier for you to bake lean breasts it in foil than to get fried chicken. or, you can swap out fried chicken for faux chicken wings, which you bake, rather than fry.

Per the tea, I'd suggest skipping the cammomile in that mix, and just doing half and half with the raspberry and ginger teas.

Atticus Girl
Activist
Member # 13561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atticus Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This product has never failed me. Check it out yo.

http://www.thermacare.com/index.jsp

It's this patch that you would place over a cramped/sore area (which in this case you'd stick it on your lower stomach area), and within minutes it'll heat up. Try it out. You can easily get it from your local grocery store.

[This message has been edited by Atticus Girl (edited 11-04-2005).]

Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.