Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Anorexia a Natural Laxative?- My Theory

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anorexia a Natural Laxative?- My Theory
BlondChik1424
Activist
Member # 15765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlondChik1424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright before any one reads my "theory" I would like to point out that it is more than likely not true and it is more of a question than a proven statement. So please don't take any of this to be the truth. I'm just quesitoning it.
Ok this is my theory. I don't want to discuss an eating disorder whether I have one of not, that's not the point. Ok here it is. Alright people who are bullemic make their selves throw up and in turn the acid in their stomach comes up with anything else that is in there. And there is proof of that because of the scarring of the esophagus and chipping of the enamel on teeth and I'm sure there are a 1000 other ways to prove it. Ok but what if someone doesn't purge but they just don't eat? Then the acid should just remain in their stomach right? But does having so much acid just setting there make you sick? The reason I ask this is because alot of the time I'll eat a maybe a small meal a day. Sometimes like an apple or a banana for the day and almost every night I get to feel like I've taken a laxative or something. And since I haven't eaten enough for it to digest wrongly then I've just started wondering if the high acidic content of my stomach has anything to do with it. Once again this is just a question and probably a ludacris question and theory. But maybe one of you will know. So there it is. Thanks for any input you may have.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
chalk it up to rappers for corrupting our language. it's "ludicrous."

anyway, your body had a way of confining its gastric juices. The chief cells secrete hydrochloric acid, which drops the local pH to about 2.0. This would normally tear right through tissue, but as it so happens, your stomach coats itself in a super-thick layer of sodium bicarbonate-laced mucus. The mucus is pretty hard to penetrate and it's being secreted slowly and continually. The sodium bicarbonate buffers the hydrochloric acid.

Then, when the food moves on from your stomach into your small intestine, the pancreas douses the acidic goop (acid chyme) with more sodium bicrabonate until it's finally neutralized enough to pass safey through your digestive tract.

So why do you pass stools so quicky? It's because you have an eating disorder and you're not eating properly. simple as that. fruit is rich in fiber, so it goes right on through, and there's not much passing by, so it moves quickly.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenna D.
Activist
Member # 18964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenna D.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second what Gumdrop Girl said. If you don't eat properly, your digestion is going to be off. You're feeling that way because you haven't eaten enough and what you *have* eaten is high in fibre, therefore passing through your system really fast.

(Also, Gumdrop, thanks for the throwback to grade 11 biology class, as soon as I saw the word 'chyme', I remembered how great that year was. ^_^)

Posts: 72 | From: Scarborough, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.