Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » healthy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: healthy?
BigGShawty90
Activist
Member # 20965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigGShawty90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im 14 and when i get stressed or mad or sad, i eat a lot! so much that i feel sick. and its not healthy things, its junk food, like cookies, candy, chocolate, sodas, chips. i am not fat i weigh 113 pounds and i am 5'6, but i have noticed that i am getting a little bigger in the stomach. and i dont like the way i eat when i am just eatting to feel "better?" i dont know why i do this eaither. is this normal? or really unhealthy? what can i do to change this?
Posts: 83 | From: plano,texas,us | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if I sound preachy... but I know a girl who developed an eating disorder that started with binge eating due to stress.

Eating like this is not a healthy activity. Not only can it really mess with your metabolism which can cause you to have signifigant fluxes in weight, but it can cause you other problems in the long run as well!

There are much better ways to work off stress that don't involve food. Especially since you're eating junk foods you could be making yourself more prone to becoming obsese when you're older, having heart problems, or other general health problems related to your heart or blood. A lot of this may not affect you now, but it could have side-effects that don't show up until you're older.

Eating like this could also be a warning sign of an eating disorder. Eating disorders are not just anorexia or bulemia, they encompass many other unhealthy eating habits such as binge eating because of stress.

I really advise that if you cannot stop this pattern you see a doctor, a lot of times trying to tackle the problem on your own isn't enough to stop this sort of thing.

There are a lot of positive things you can do instead of overeating when you are stressed, for example taking the opposite direction and exercising. As long as tyou are eating healthily while using exercise to relieve stress you will be helping your body rather than potentially damaging it.

Exercising is great to releieve stress, too, much better than eating. Exercise releases endorphins that make you feel happier and less stressed.

So maybe next time you're stressed and want to grab something to eat, go jogging instead, or put on music in your room and just dance, or any other activity you could think of. Or to at least be eating better foods stack up on a lot of fruits and vegetables, also try granolas and nuts. If you talk to your parents, they also may try to keep junk foods out of the house if they're open to healthier eating too, especially if you can talk to them about this overeating.

If you aren't comfortable talking to your parents, try maybe talking to the school nurse or a counselor?

This may not be a big problem now, but it really could be.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigGShawty90
Activist
Member # 20965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigGShawty90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanx soo much! im going to stop doing that, and find something more positive to do
Posts: 83 | From: plano,texas,us | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YellowPlums
Neophyte
Member # 29011

Icon 9 posted      Profile for YellowPlums     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar problem but as far as I can tell, it's not directly related to stress (ironically, I think having a poor self image triggers it). I've cut down on the amount of food during binges and how often I binge... but I still do it.

Occasionally, I just crave junk food. I've been eating a lot of chocolate lately. At first I just assumed it was a side effect of PMS, but two weeks later I still feel like I "need" it.

Binges just make me unhappy with myself mentally and physically. I know that when I exercise I don't feel the need to binge as much... and I like exercising but I just dread doing it. I feel like I don't have any motivation to do it. I had 3 JV letters and 7 varsity letters in high school (I graduated in 2004). Perhaps it wore me out?

I'm not sure what I'm going for by posting this. I guess perhaps some suggestions to motivate me to exercise or how to decrease binges.

[ 05-24-2006, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: YellowPlums ]

--------------------
"We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down." -Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 15 | From: USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefreak44
Activist
Member # 12381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluefreak44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have the same problem, and still struggle with it. For me, I just think it is a comfort issue. I don't keep a lot of sweets around my apartment, but my mom and grandma both have cabinets loaded with chocolate and all kinds of goey sweets. I think I really find it as "comfort food", since I don't eat it much here but I used to at my mom and grandma's houses.

I think one issue is whether or not you can reasonably control this impulse, and how often it happens. Occasionally I'll be distressed/depressed/PMSed and feel like I just need a bowl of ice cream, but it's not that often. Other times, when a lot is on my mind, I'll think about comfort foods more, but I can usually talk myself out of indulging. Is it just a matter of self-control, or can you really not help yourself? Does it happen a lot? Those seem to be pretty big issues to me.

Posts: 81 | From: MO, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YellowPlums
Neophyte
Member # 29011

Icon 11 posted      Profile for YellowPlums     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't keep any junkfood in the apartment. None. When I binge I literally go out right before hand and buy the food. It's kind of weird because I KNOW I'm about to do it and I try to talk myself out of it by telling myself I won't be happy afterwards. I think it's a matter of self-control. If I wait a half an hour or so it'll pass, but it's so difficult. Because I know when I'm about to binge I've been able to cut down on the amount of food I buy.

I think the reason I have problems with self-control is because the times when I feel the need to binge are also my weak points (which makes sense). :-\

[ 05-25-2006, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: YellowPlums ]

--------------------
"We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down." -Kurt Vonnegut

Posts: 15 | From: USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
You're health is great for your height. As for your stomach, are you eating a lot of fast food or fatty things. Just want you to know that fat has a tendacy to get stored when you eat it. It is unlikely to be use for energy right when you eat it. Sugar does the contrary. But if you eat to much of it, it will get stored too. Just telling you that it is easier to gain pound by eating fatty things that sugary things because of the calories that is higher in fat and other things. But what really counts in the amount of calories you eat daily. You should never go below your daily calorie intake that you need daily or you will gain weight.

And you should actually ask yourself before eating am I really hungry ? To know if you're hungry ask yourself if you are weak, have less concentrating and are tired or have headaches ? If not,then it's emotional eating : ask yourself how you feel at this very moment ? Do you feel stressed, overwhelmed, scared or bored ? Keep that in a journal. Sometimes if you have low self-esteem or live a stressed life that could be the reason why we have that tendancy to eat often. And I suggest you do a little bit of physical activities because those help reduce your hunger sensations and make you feel better about yourself. And if you still stop yourself from eating try trading fat or sugary things by healthy fruits or vegetables. Also eat more proteins and fiber. Those help reduce your hunger by making you feel full. Hope that helps.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.