Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Dry Skin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dry Skin
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd appreciate any tips any of you may have, so feel free to offer.

So, I know that fluctuating hormones mess with my mood a lot, but how about the condition of my skin...and I don't mean on my face. It seems that 2-3 weeks before my period, consistently for my last 6 or so cycles, the skin in my genital area gets dry. It feels like when I had exzema on my arms...tight, itchy, dry, dry, dry. I'm worried about putting anything on it, as the kind of moisturizer I use now may be too heavy, and I don't know if KY should really be used as a moisture lotion.

I've been tested within the last 7 months and have had protected sex 2 or three times in that time period, with a guy who seemed healthy enough and had told me he'd recently been tested (and seeing as he was extremely anal retentive, I believe him.), so I'm not worried that it's an STD, and this dryness would be the only symptom.

So, is this hormone related? What are your suggestions for treating/preventing it? Any similar experiences?

Thanks a bunch!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have excema, on many places actually, and I know it is a HUGE pain in the neck...

The dry skin on you vaginal area could very well be excema. I still have it, and currently, it's on the inside of my elbows, the bottom of my feet, (as I found out today after a hastily scheduled doctors appointment!) around my knees, and, like you might, around my genital area. (It's a pain, isn't it??!)

I'd suggest, since it could be a host of other things, related to hormones, and seasons and whatnot, that you schedule a quick check with you Doc to see whats up (I did that for my feet...and pretty much everwhere else!) If it is in fact excema, they can give you a prescription, like Elidel, a topical steriod cream which works really well on excema. I wouldn't suggest using any lotion, since some can actually irritate the skin, not sooth it. If its around your pubic area, you could try a very SMALL amount of Vaseline, which is really good for small skin irritations and can help give your skin a bit of a moisture kick. However, if it is closer to your vagina, don't use and kind of petroleum product. It can cause yeast infections if it gets into your vagina and can trap nasty things.

A doctors opinion would be best, since it's kinda impossible for us to give you a diagnosis online

------------------
Good luck! :)
-Jam

"We're not stupid, we're just not smart"

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.