Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Holding Urine???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Holding Urine???
Mizundastood05
Neophyte
Member # 7344

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mizundastood05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I just wamt to know is it true that holding your urine can effect with you giving birth?..I havent been holding it on purpose,its just that I drink stuff at night and i go to sleep and when i wake up my kidney is like full from holding it in all night so i go to the bathroom but i am kinda scared so is this true???

Posts: 19 | From: Columbia,SC,USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, holding urine is what your bladder is designed to do .

It's not a great idea to not pee when you're bursting to do so, but what you describe (waking up with a full bladder in the morning) is totally normal and not harmful in any way.

If you really really need to pee in the night, your body will wake you up so you can go to the bathroom.

So no need to be scared, okay?

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BabyGurl8706
Activist
Member # 13227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BabyGurl8706     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with Logic_Grrl!! Also if you to pee really bad (to the point that your stomach is hurting), but you still hold it in it isn't good.It can cause you to get infections, but holding it in is what its there for.I don't think Im making since, but if Im not let me know!
Brandi

Posts: 56 | From: Back In The sticks of Missouri | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
be aware, however, that if you make it a habit to hold in your urine a lot (like only going pee two or three times a day), it can lead to bladder infections. and in time, it can actually *weaken* your bladder muscles.

------------------
Be the doctor your parents always wanted you to marry.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MASKCOLE
Neophyte
Member # 10716

Icon 5 posted      Profile for MASKCOLE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gumdrop (my scientific buddy) ;-)

My Mom has told me that as well... holding your bladder excessively or only urinating two or three times a day can weaken bladder muscles.... Logic would say that if you are uilizing a muscle, it would make it stronger, like working out. So how is it that "working out" your bladder would make it weaker?

Posts: 30 | From: Orlando, Fl., U.S.A | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sublime_15
Activist
Member # 12538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sublime_15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only have to go like twice a day and i drink alot. Is something wrong with me or something?
Posts: 280 | From: nowhere | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used to explain this much better in the past, but now my memory is a little foggy. here's what i can say off the top of my head...

there are different kinds of muscle (cardiac muscle, skeletal muscle and smooth muscle).

The bladder is mostly smooth muscle. Smooth muscle is constructed differently from the others. cardiac and skeletal muscle are striated, meaning their cells are arranged into nice stripey patterns of actin and myosin (two major proteins involved in muscle contraction), and this helps them contract very effectively (think of a line of people playing tug-of-war). Smooth muscle, on the other hand isn't striped, it's just a ubnch of cells not arranged in much of a particular pattern (think of a bunch of people standing around randomly, locking hands and then all pulling at the same time). Smooth muscle is also wired to the nervous system differently. The way smooth muscle works is that it is involuntary, moving in steady wave-like contractions. It doesn't respond well to tension. When you hold in a lot of urine, you begin to exert a lot of pressure on that smooth bladder muscle. the tension on that muscle stretches and strains it because the motion isn't nearly as well organized (it doesn't usually have to be because the cotnractions are not nearly as strong as they are in the heart on limbs), and hence the muscle begins to weaken.

thanks for asking, maskcole feel free to exploit my geekiness anytime.

------------------

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sublime, what color is your urine? it could just be that you use a lot of water, and it excretes in sweat or simply by breathing. if oyur pee is dark yellow, start drinking more. if it's near clear, then you're fine.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.