Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Shortness of breath

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shortness of breath
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 11 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've searched on this, and read the topic below titled "Breathing," and my question's a little similar...

I haven't had a cold or sinus infection or anything. I don't have asthma. I haven't been exposed to any allergens besides the normal. However, since Sunday I have had trouble getting my breath. I feel like I'm hyperventilating, like every few breaths I need to take one really deep one, and that one feels satisfying. I'm yawning a lot.

Anyway, are there any possible causes for this that *aren't* really scary? One website (http://www.ehendrick.org/healthy/001251.htm) said that anemia can cause shortness of breath (and the associated feelings of lightheadedness). I've been vegetarian/nearly vegan for a year now, and I have a balanced and varied diet, and drink fortified soymilk--so I don't know, but I don't think it's that.

I'm making a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning, but is there anything right off that anyone knows of? It could be anxiety as well--that's what I thought it was at first. Now I can't stop thinking about breathing, and I think that only makes it worse, and I'm nervous about what it might be...help!

[edited to add: I have been working out regularly for two months, too, cardio and weightlifting stuff, and I haven't added anything significant lately, but maybe I could have pulled some sort of muscle in my chest??]

[This message has been edited by lemming (edited 07-29-2003).]

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
While I can't make any medical diagnosis, it does seem that you are "spectatoring" about your breathing and this can seem to exacerbate the problem. However, if it gets worse and you can't wait to see your physician, a trip to the ER might be in order.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I made an appointment for noon today, so we'll see. I'm thinking that it may be anemia due to diet/exercise/being a menstruating female, and I'm not so good about the leafy greens while I'm living at home. But the doctor's nurse (who I spoke with this morning) doesn't think I sound anemic, so whatever; I'll insist they do a blood test.

(Yeah, I was thinking that if it were anxiety or if I was becoming obsessive about my breathing, I could make it go away. So I am thinking about it too much. But every unsatisfying breath just reminds me!)

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the doctor at noon today. He was very nice, very concerned and professional. He said that he didn't think it was anemia, but he was going to do some blood tests (CBC, thyroid, and I think ferritin) just to make sure that it wasn't anything else. Otherwise, he said it was probably anxiety. As I have a long and varied history of psychological diagnoses (including anxiety), I'm not particularly shocked, but it is a little worrying ;]

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I have panic disorder and I know it can effect breathing. It's now controlled with medication.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I developped asthma quite suddenly in university. Nobody would take me seriously when I said I get short of breath a lot. Then after climbing one flight of stairs (yes I said 1) I was still huffing and puffing 30 minutes into class. So, 90 minutes later. I climbed back up those stairs and then I huffed and puffed all the way to health services. Once they saw me like that, they took me seriously. They sent me to a respirologist or something like that, that used machines to measure my lung volume and other lung doodads, and that is when they figured it out.

I find I get way more asthma attacks during high stress times such as exams and such.

The mind works in mysterious ways sometimes.

Did your doc give you any exercises to do when you get anxious to help calm you down, and return your breathing to normal?

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay this really freaks me out because lemming's really scared...and this is an everyday thing for me. All of the things you said described me 24/7. I need to make a doctor's appointment.
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Freaking out will do absolute no good. More then likely it will make things 100 times worse. A lot of things are simply in your head, it happens all the time.

See a doc to be sure. Getting all worked up will do no good. So relax, and go see a doc to be sure everything is fine.

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightwolf
Neophyte
Member # 14299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, you might have asma (might) I had it for a long time and didn't even know.Then one day I went to my doctor and he said I had asma.........
Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.