Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » can't afford the dentist

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: can't afford the dentist
Member # 8914

Icon 9 posted      Profile for fairie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My poor boyfriend has a ton of things wrong with his teeth, alot of them painful. The thing is he doesn't have insurance because his mom is older, disabled, and can't work. His public aid ran out when he graduated(a couple months ago) and now he's stuck. This seems so unfair to me and I keep thinking that there has to be something he can do, short of paying for it himself. (WHOA thats a lotta money!) Does anyone know of another answer or some kind of help when it comes to paying for medical care? I'd really appreciate it, I just can't stand to see the poor boy suffer.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since health services depend so much on where you live (argh to the US for not having free, complete public healthcare for everyone), I can't say for sure what you can do, other than contacting social services in your area for inexpensive local clinics, etc.

However, when it comes to dental care, when I was younger before my family's health insurance included dental care, we would go get our teeth cleaned by the local community college's dental hygienst students.

Granted all they would do was polish your teeth, apply sealant, etc. but it was better than nothing for us– we would have had to see a dentist if we had had a cavity or extreme pain.

It was overall an unpleasant experience, as it'd take like three hours 'cause they'd have to have their professor double-check everything– especially when compared to the 15 minutes it takes nowadays at the dentist's– but it was free. The particular place has started charging a small fee, like $25 per visit, so definitely check that out first.

If your boyfriend is in pain right now, this won't be of really any help right now, but is worth checking out in the future.

"Tear up the cloak of indifference that you have wrapped around your hearts! Make up your minds before it is too late!" ~Sophie Scholl

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know my dentist has a sliding scale. It requires a some paperwork such as proof of income so it may take him some time to get in if it is indeed available. I don't know how common this is but it's definitely worth looking into.

Good luck!

"I'll memorize everything you do to me/So I can teach it when it comes my turn."
-- Semisonic, "Chemistry"

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryconfused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dont know if u can afford this but there is a new trend where people r doing dental tourism .this especially in india .you can go as a tourist to india and while ur there u can get ur teeth fixed very cheaply .then whole expense of travellin and visiting the dentist is supposed to be cheaper than getting the work done in england or usa .i read this in a news paper . in india getting a tooth filled could cost u around Rs100 to Rs300 which would be approx $2 to $6 exchange rate being $1=Rs50 and a root canal+capping around Rs3000 varies acc to materials used. the doctors are very efficient .of course u have to find someone reputed.hope this helps u.

[This message has been edited by veryconfused (edited 09-12-2003).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I have had REALLY bad experiences with dental school care/low-income dental clinic care. Now, it's possible I just had bad luck and it's a fluke, but in general, I've found that it's better to simply make arrangements with a private dentist who is willing to take payments over time, and adjust their scale some (the last one I found not only lett me pay over a six-month-period, he also discounted my fees by a good 50%).

But part of becoming an adult is about paying for your own healthcare or finding a job which provides insurance. And yes, in a privatized system healthcare is costly, and yes, what's provided for low-incomes tends to truly stink. And yes, lots of us unfortunatly will have to work very hard to pay for healthcare when we need it. That's just -- sadly -- the way it goes.

Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also, keep in mind that a lot of people don't have dental coverage. like, a real lot of people. it's expensive, and it can be hard to get unless your employer offers it.

so a lot of dentists are understanding about this predicament, because it's so common, and it shouldn't be dramatically difficult for your boy to find one he can make arrangements with.

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.