Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Gummy Gets a Personal Trainer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gummy Gets a Personal Trainer
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been going to the gym for a while now, and now that I'm stuck at home with my parents till I take off for grad school, I've finally gone ahead and signed up for sessions with a personal trainer. I figured there have gotta be some of you who want to know what's it's like, so I'll keep this thread as a journal of my experiences and take questions and comments on the whole training and exercise thing.

Things didn't start off so well. By and large, I'm healthy and I go to the gym without a hitch, but last week, I went to the gym out here for the first time (I am a 24-hr Fitness member, so there are franchises all over the place). It was hot, I wasn't used to the climate, food has been scarce in my house and I don't usually eat breakfast because I wake up late. The combinations of all those plus 15 vigorous minutes on the Stairmaster caused me to pass out. I was dragged of and given glucose and I perked right up. Lesson learned: Eat, don't overheat! I asked the girl who helped me out about training packages.

I met with her yesterday to sign up for training, and she took measurements of my body fat (38%, which is a little high), asked about my eating habits (sparse), calculated my resting heart rate (about 65-70bpm, NOT good) and asked about my goals (more endurance, better muscle tone, better cardiac output). She made a point NOT to emphasize numerical weight (good good good!) and target tone and overall health instead (something we've always been big on here at ST). We went over nutrition goals (she's got me eating small meals 4 or 5 times a day and taking vitamins). no weird diets, just sound advice, more veggies, less junk. So by the end, if I do this right, I'll be at 24% body fat and around 130lbs. I'm 5'3", medium frame and I like having flesh on my bones.

She sent me home with a food diary (gotta keep track of what I eat and when I eat it), healthy snacks, shakes and vitamins. I took the vitamins today and they're the nastiest things ever. uggh. I'm having problems with my food diary because I'm lazy and I don't wake up till late, meaning I miss breakfast. I gotta start getting up a little earlier. I also am trying to figure out portion sizes and the like.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, for every minute I'm late to a session, I have to do 5 push-ups. I was 10 minutes late today. My heart rate is still way too high, and I wish I had more arm strength (pull-ups were murder). Today was hard, and tomorrow, it's going to be harder.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today's ordeal was Turbo Kick-Boxing, and it kicked my ass. I am in a lot of pain , but it suprisingly vanishes when I'm working out. Only when I'm trying to walk back to my car or stagger about the house do I hurt. On the bright side, I found a use for my Hello Kitty vibrator. It's gentle enough to use on my aching biceps. I am going to soak in the tub now.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some helpful hints with that if you want'em.

Not sure what that particular fusion of kickboxing is (sometimes general gyms do combos of kickboxing and aerobics, for instance), but in general, with boxing and kickboxing, you're going to be sore as hell for at least the first few times.

But you can counteract a lot of that with good form -- most of the folks I see where I train who get winded the fastest and stay sore the longest are the ones doing a lot of flailing around, but aren't using the natural momentum well.

So, ask for help with your form with that. If no one seems to be trained in form or care too much about it, just keep in mind that you want to keep your punches and kicks as tight and close to your body as possible, and really use the momentum your body weight creates in a given combination.

For instance, if you're doing a jab-cross-hook-roundhouse kick - spinning kick, once you do that hook, your body weight is already going to easily toss those last two kicks forcefully, without trying too hard, if you just let it and flow with your momentum.

Hope that's helpful. I've been training in kickboxing and boxing solidly at least once or twice a week now for over a year now, and I gotta say, it's the best training for me I've yet to ever find: it's hard as hell, it works your whole body, it's great self-defense training and it's a very nice outlet to let go of some agression. I confess that on more than one occasion I've envisioned the face of more than one member of our current US administration on my heavy bag, and it's been highly satisfying.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips, Heather. I have to give you mad props for being able to do this stuff 'cause you're right, I was flailing around a *lot*. I couldn't coordinate my movements very well at all, and in the end all the stumbling added to my fatigue. It was a fun workout, though. I'm definitely gonna do that again. I'm also thinking of trying out the hip hop dance aerobics class.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just takes loads of practice is all. In my experience, anyway.

Growing up beating up all the boys probably doesn't hurt either (when it comes to boxing -- it hurts the boys though, and I wouldn't advise it.).

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh personal training. I remember that. My trainer kicked my ass. He didnt start off slow or anything, just jumped right into things. I swear I was in the worst pain every single time i had a session with him. There was once he worked me so hard i brusied ribs and had to take off work for a few days. You definatly get in shape though.

How do you like it so far gummy?

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey glitter, my trainer didn't ease me into things either. it's the weekend, so i'm letting the pain ease off before I star in again on monday. I'm loving it thus far. I feel great (despite aching muscles), and I'm optimistic about howthings are going. how many sessions did you do, glitter? If you're done with the training, are you continuing with your exercise?

------------------
mundi faece repletum

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a lot of fun Gummy! :-)

I had a personal trainer for about a year and half. I would see her 1-3 times a week depending on my schedule and my pocket book. I really appreciated all her advice and guidance. She was very knowledgable and understanding about my goals. She also was incredible when I returned to training after I had been in the hospital. Didn't push me. She was good at assessing me on a daily basis on what I could and could not do. BUT she did push me and make me go further than I thought I could. I miss her.

I have been training on ym own and am happy with my progress. I hope to see her though for a little tune up this summer.

------------------
-Scarleteen Sexpert

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did 2-3 sessions a week. It was really hard, but I liked it. I don't exercise all the time, I don't really have motavation to do it. That's why I liked personal training. I had so much motavation to get in shape, and do all these things because I had someone pushing me and making me feel good about myself. So after I was done training, I kinda slipped.

I'm thinking about getting a trainer again, but I need a new car first...hehe

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i'm afraid i'll lose willpower if i don't have someone calling me ahead of time to confirm my appointments. but i think if i don't take a break after my training sessions are up, i'll be able to stay in the groove.

i told my trainer i wasn't feeling any pain, so she has decided to step me up a notch. today's workout was especially hard, but it flew by so fast. what i don't feel now, i'll certainly feel tomorrow.

------------------
mundi faece repletum

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today was measurement day. I think this is week 3, so I'm halfway through my training.

Fat is burning off at a reasonable pace. Unfortunately, I've also lost a little bit of lean muscle mass. This means I'm not eating enough. The solution? Snacks! I'm getting some Luna bars at Trader Joe's tomorrow. My resting heart rate isn't coming down like I wish it would, but I'm lifting more and my endurance is up. I don't get too sore, and I'm full of energy. Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the results and I'm looking forward to keeping it up.

------------------
more surly than girly...

Eeyore Lover
Neophyte
Member # 13922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eeyore Lover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading this.. and I wanted to let you know how incredible I think this is!

I took physical education throughout my entire high school career.. In Grades 11, 12, and 13 (OAC), we had personal trainers at Goodlife (which is one of the big gyms)..

Anyway.. We did a lot of things.. kickboxing, rowing classes, aerobics, yoga, etc.. While it was *FUN* in the beginning, overall it made me feel *HORRIBLE* about myself, so I made excuses not to participate..

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. I'm glad you guys have the motivation to continue, and that you find positive things about personal trainers.. Congratulations.. I hope you keep up with it! Reaching goals and seeing positive improvements are very rewarding!

Bri-Anna

**edited for a spelling mistake**

[This message has been edited by Eeyore Lover (edited 07-11-2003).]

Posts: 15 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
although i dont have a personal trainer....i have a kick ass track coach...hes scary but he whips my butt into shape which i love because i feel so much better about myself. one pain reducing tip is to ice after the first few workouts....along with lots of stretching...it always helps me to get thru that first week or two

Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So i'm getting the hang of turbo kick boxing. I'm enjoying that class. i put off driving up to Berkeley another day 'cause i didn't wanna miss the class.

I'm also finding that I'm going through more of my workout without burning out so fast. my heart rate is coming down some more now, which is making me happy. and I think my quads are really toning up. I can squat like there's no tomorrow.

------------------
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Sun Wu
Activist
Member # 7018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sun Wu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you have a good personal trainer. It's a point of total disparity of men and women... When you said your bodyfat was at 38% my eyes nearly popped out of my head! As a male bodybuilder, I'm currently at 12-13% or so and get worried if I hit 18%!!

One point I've always made to do on a cut is never to eat any carbs with my last meal of the day. I don't know how well that would work for you, but it'll probably help you lose weight faster I think.

Posts: 117 | From: Where does my name remind you of? well it's wrong! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, men are supposed to be leaner than women. after all, we have breasts and we need to carry at least 80k Calories in fat on our hips in order to sustain pregnancies.

I'm not doing anything unusual to my diet. My trainer suggested I go 50% carbs, 30%protein and 20% fats. My objective is NOT to lose weight, but to firm up and get toned. Unfortunately, since I do happen to have a relatively high percentage of fat, some mass will be lost when I train.

I go back from Berkeley. While I was there, all my friends said they noticed a marked difference in how I look now compared to how I looked last month. I'm quite thrilled with getting such good results in a relatively short amount of time.

------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've completed my sessions with my trainer. I'm down to 27% body fat and my resting heart rate is about 65bpm. My blood pressure is a whopping 104/61 (nice and low).

I feel good. I feel strong. I breathe easier.
and I still have more work to do (exercise is not just 6 weeks of training, it's gotta be ongoing). My trainer (who did a good job with me, and says i'm a model client because i'm so compliant) wrote up a workout schedule for me. It's not hugely diferent from what we were doing before. I just have to do it alone now. The motivation is a little harder to conjure, but I get through it okay.

i'm moving to LA this week, so I'm going to start going to a different branch of 24Hr Fitness. Let's see how I fare when I'm surrounded by superficial actor/model-type fitness freaks. I hope it doesn't crush my spirit. I will probably Craigslist to find fitness buddies.

------------------

celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gummy, I just wanted to tell you that I think it's really great that you've stuck to your excercising routine and that you've already had great results.
I joined a gym a few months ago and I suck, I've probably gone less than 10 times in a span of 5 months which is horrible because it's a total waste of money and a waste of my time when I do actually go because working out once every couple of months gets me no where at all.

Anyways just wanted to say I'm proud of ya and hope you stick to your routine unlike me

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing the personal trainer thing again. I really let myself go while i was studying for the MCAT. no exercise plus tons of stress, bad hours, grazing on snacks and candy. i'm looking to tone for summer. I'm good at keeping weight off, but gaining muscle is tough for me. I wanna be She-Ra I'll let you know how this all goes.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

guynamedthomas
Activist
Member # 11236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guynamedthomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well gumdrop, we're doing the same thing basically. I am trying to gain weight however. Been eating 8 meals a day, all very healthy food. Working out 5 times a week.

I am really enjoying it, I hope you are as well. You said you wanted to gain some muscle. I assume your trainer has told you that you must keep your body full of protein 24/7 basically. Make sure you have it with every meal at least a little bit. Before bed, it is good to have some sort of cassein protein (slow digesting) so that your body can use it during your sleep.

My diet currently looks something like this.

Meal 1:
1cup oatmeal
2fish oil caps
1 serving of whey protein

Meal 2:
chicken breast
12 almonds

Meal 3:
chicken breast
lettuce
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 fish oil caps

Meal 4: Pre-workout meal
1 serving of whey 1 hour before
1 1/2 scoops of gatorade powder 30min before

Meal 5: PWO (post workout) directly after
2 servings of whey
2 scoops of gatorade

Meal 6: hour to an hour and half after workout
1cup of honey bunches of oats
1 glass of milk
1 serving of shrimp

Meal 7:
1cup oatmeal
chicken breast
lettuce

Meal 8:
3glasses of milk
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
2 fish oil caps

Well then that took a while. I know you won't be eating all that if you are trying to lose weight, but setting something like that up will help you out a LOT I think. It helps helped me enormously. It keeps me away from eating junk as much as possible. and you can always throw in other stuff such as turkey/tuna instead of the other meats.

Anyways, I don't know if this was any help at all. Just glad to see someone like you who helps everyone else out so much doing so well for yourself right now goalwise. (long sentence i know).

I just read that you werent doing anything too unusual about your diet. I think it would help out a lot if you just ate healthy with a few cheats a week. Try finding a workout forum, there is insane amounts of information on nutrition. If you want to know of any good ones I have recently found, just reply back.

Good luck !

Posts: 97 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I haven't got my meal plan yet. I'm supposed to stay under 1500 Calories, which shouldn't be any trouble for me, really. Lunch was 300 calories, and it was really filling. Breakfast is generally 250 Calories (Special K and light yogurt). That leaves a few snacks and dinner which never goes above 450 Calories anyway.

------------------
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

So I'm almost at the end of this particular training package. for a while, I was on a 1700 Calorie menu. That helped me build a lot of lean muscle, but I didn't lose a lot of weight. Numerically, I've had a net decrease of one pound, but I've gained almost 3lbs of lean muscle and reduced my body fat at by 2%. I've got good tone in my arms, and my legs are super strong.

My trainer dropped 200 Calories from my menu last week to see if we could get more drastic results. And i'm sick with a cold, so i'm putting off my last sesion till next week. We'll see how this goes.

I have also acquired a taste for Promax bars.

------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Okay, I'm back on the training track. I gained some flab after the holidays and I wasn't feeling so great. I make enough money now that I can pay for a lot of sessions, but I'm finding that I value things like SLEEP. Nonetheless, I sometimes wind up going to the gym at 10pm in order to squeeze in just 30 minutes of cardio.

I lost 2lbs this week, but my trainer is harping on me to eat 200 more calories a day. I don't eat much at work, so I barely scrape 900 calories sometimes. That's REALLY bad, but I don't wanna tip the other way and wind up grazing a bunch while I'm sitting on my arse at my desk not moving and not doing anything. Eating more will keep my metabolism from slowing down. Not eating enough while working out this vigorously will make my body think it's starving, so it'll start hording calories.

i bought veggies. I got out of the gym early enough to go to Trader Joes to buy groceries.

I'd sure like to fit into my slacks again.

--------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

ACK!!! My trainer is moving to Alabama. She's transferring me to another trainer who has a long-standing reputation for being tough. Incidentally, I have developed my own reputation at my gym for being something of a hard-***. This will be fun.

I got GREAT results out of my training with her. I am stronger than I have ever been. I am so incredibly fit right now. I did AIDS Walk at a brisk pace and wasn't tired (six miles!). I can run 5k pretty easily now. I lift a LOT. And my muscle tone is unbelievable -- my delts are so ripped!

I lost a lot of weight this month. but that was a result of the emotional trauma that accompanies the dissolution of a long-term relationship (I call it "the Nicole Ritchie Diet" and it is NO FUN to be on). But I have been careful to get my diet back on track and eat carefully and healthfully (despite the sweet potato fries I destroyed last night at happy hour).

I started a database in MS Access to track my progress. I was running out of pages in my fitness journal. I am such a geek.

Anyway, I am a few pounds and percentage points from attaining the goals I set three years ago. Okay, so it's been a long process, but the important thing is to maintain the good habits.

I am just so energetic and STOKED to be where I am. And yes, my pants fit GREAT!!!

--------------------

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Gumdrop Girl ! I'm happy you feel better about your body. :)

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.