Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » snoring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: snoring
sublime_15
Activist
Member # 12538

Icon 4 posted      Profile for sublime_15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going on a trip to an amusement park with my boyfriend and his family. We'll be staying at ahotel, and since Im a girl I'll be in a seperate room with his mom and step mom and i snore! Really loudly. My friends are always saying that i wake them up and i sound funny. I dont want to spoil our trip by waking them up, not to mention its sorta embrassing. Is there anything i can tape (Lol) so i dont snore just during that ONE night. I dont really believe in buying non snoring meds or stuff like that, and home remedies?? Thank you, Adrienne
Posts: 280 | From: nowhere | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
As a person who snored to the point of sleep apnea, I've had many remedies suggested to me. For most people, snoring occurs when sleeping on one's back. One folk remedy I'm told is quite effective is to sew something into pajama tops (such as a tennis ball) that will make sleeping on the back uncomfortable and cause the snorer to roll over off the back.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I can't suggest any home remedies for snoring, I just thought I'd mention that it might be a good idea to you get yourself checked out by your GP or an ENT to make sure your snoring is harmless or whether it can be dealt with.

I snore, too, and after getting checked out, found out what was the reason for my snoring (scarring from when my tonsils were removed) and will have a tiny operation to deal with it this summer.

Snoring can be caused by a multitude of reasons, such as allergies, anatomic features (small nasal passage for example) etc. Like Bobo said: for many, snoring is worst when sleeping on their backs. If your snoring comes from your nose and you breathe during your mouth at night because you don't get enough air through your nose, a nose cream containing menthol might temporarily make your nasal tissue swell down and help.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"it may look like i'm moving but i'm standing still."
bob dylan

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sublime_15
Activist
Member # 12538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sublime_15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My orthodontist told me awhile ago that I was a heavy mouth breather. Does that have anything to do with it?
Posts: 280 | From: nowhere | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, it would be a good idea to ask your orthodontist that.

fact is, if you breathe through your mouth in your sleep, the tissue in the back of your mouth (around your palate), which relaxes as your blood pressure drops when you sleep, might move in the "wind" your breathing creates in your mouth.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"it may look like i'm moving but i'm standing still."
bob dylan

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sublime_15
Activist
Member # 12538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sublime_15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I'll have to pull an all nighter, or wait till everyone is fast asleep

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.