Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Really bad hang-nails

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Really bad hang-nails
MyLipsMayPromise
Neophyte
Member # 9903

Icon 8 posted      Profile for MyLipsMayPromise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I have been getting these really bad hang-nails on nearly ever finger on each hand. I'm not sure why I keep getting them, but even worse I don't know how to get rid of them. I've a bunch of different remedies but with very little luck. I'm not sure if I need to trim my cuticles or stop cutting my nails so short, or I just have really bad luck with these things. The skin on each side of the nail just keeps peeling and then I end up tearing it or clipping it with fingernail clippers (I know that's gross). Any suggestions? At this point, I'm ready to just put bandaids on ever finger!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's better to clip hangnails with (clean!) nail clippers than let them tear, so don't worry about that. I's suggest, quite simply, just moisturizing your hands more often, and with a reasonably heavy-duty lotion. You might want to be careful to wear gloves if your hands are in the cold a lot, or rubber gloves if your doing chores involving chemicals, or where your hands are in water.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tearing the hangnails off is going to do more harm than good. Those nails are attatched to nerves and blood vessels ... and it'll hurt like heck! I wouldn't suggest it ...

Instead, as milke already pointed out, you best bet would be to use clean (wiped down w/ rubbing alcohol on a cottonball or qtip) nail clippers or nail scissors to cut it off. When that's done, you can use hydrogen peroxide to clean it, and then put a bandaid on it.

In the future tho, it's a good idea to cut your nails straight across, as opposed to cutting to the curves of your nails. If you need to, you can use a nail file to file down the edges.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, this is just something to think about, but what have your eating habits been like lately? i've noticed that when i'm not eating as much fruits and veggies as i should, my nails and the skin around them get all gross and peely like you described yours. i'm not totally sure, but i think it may have something to do with a lack of vitamins and nutrients. also, since its winter and cold here, everything tends to dry out because of the heater being on. is it cold where you are?

anyway, maybe, in addition to what milke and smurf already suggested about trimming the loose skin and using rich lotions, you could evaluate your eating habits and see if making a few changes might help. hope your hands get better, i hate hangnails too! ouchie!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyLipsMayPromise
Neophyte
Member # 9903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MyLipsMayPromise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I do try not pull at the skin, but sometimes in class while I'm sitting through a boring lecture, it just kind of happens, heh. As far as my eating habbits, I have actually been trying to eat better lately, but I will keep that in mind since I've had this problem on and off for a while now. I put lotion on and around my nails often, so I'm really not sure what's going on. I always wash my hands after clipping (or tearing the skin) but I have never tried the peroxide or alcohol, I'll start doing that. Strangely, I think this is really related to stress for me; at least the peeling. It seems to be somewhat of a nervous habit.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janedoe101
Activist
Member # 11340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janedoe101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever seen those cuticle removers? the kind where you just run them along the base of your nails and this skin falls off because it is just dead skin? well i had a hangnail, and i thought...hum, i do NOT want to rip this on off, so i got the cuticle remover and ran it along the base of where it would run off, and it didn't hurt as bad as a nail clipper, because i am clumsy and always rip, or have faulty clippers. Cuticle removers usually come in inexpensive manicure sets, and by them selves for around 2.99 I like cuticle removers as an alternative to nail clippers anyday. Good luck
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trance4
Neophyte
Member # 12214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trance4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, probably gonna go over what everyone already said, but..
Use lotion or cuticle cream/lotion/remover on your nails whenever they dry out or when needed.. When you file your nails make sure that you don't file straight across, you want to go from the right to the center and from the left to the center. if you file straight across it will cause your nail to split at the edges. Cuticle removers are great for this. Also, if possible, get manicures every now and then to keep your nails in shape and ask the manicurist any questions about your nails as you need.

------------------
~Peace~

Posts: 19 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.