Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » molluscum blah....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: molluscum blah....
lgraymc
Neophyte
Member # 12003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lgraymc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really a question for the experts here... I've contracted molluscum - it's related to the pox virus (where chix pos comes from) but it's really not so bad. They don't itch, or sting. They really just look like a few, small shaving bumps and don't really bother me. What does bother me is that I may have them for anywhere from 6 months to 5 years! My Planned Parenthood Doctor said there's no treatment necessary for them, they'll go away on their own, but I read somewhere there's topical treatment (such as retinol cream or something) so I can avoid freezing, or lasers (which I can't afford anyway!) Should I seek treatment or just ride it out like the doc suggested?
Posts: 2 | From: Wilmington, NC, USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a second opinion from your regular doctor (i am assuming you have a primary care physician other than the doc at PP, so please correct me if i am wrong).

Anyway, a second opinion is always handy. Ask the doctor about treatments -- topical or otherwise. If he/she does not suggest one, you might as well just let them go away on their own.

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, like gummy said, getting a second opinion, or contacting the place you saw again asking your questions, sounds like a good idea.

Indeed, according to WebMD: Topic Overview Molluscum, there is non-surgical treatment for molluscum available.

quote:
Chemical treatment (applying medication directly to the lesion). A medication, such as salicylic acid, is applied directly to a lesion. The lesion may be covered with a piece of tape after treatment. Salicylic acid is usually not painful, but other topical medications used to remove lesions may be. The use of cantharidin, which causes the lesion to blister and then go away, may cause pain as the blister develops. Cantharidin is often effective and may decrease further spread of the virus.

There is also treatment with oral medication, but that seems to be limited to severe cases, and isn't that effective to start with.

Just felt like mentioning it again: if your lesions are on your genitals, it's a must that you tell any of your partners about them, to be fair.
------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 02-27-2003).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about the creams and pills treatments, but to have the laser thing or the freezing thing, you have to go to a dermatologist. Getting them treated is good because then you can't spread them to other parts of your body or to your partners.

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.