Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Workout?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Workout?
hilikus
Neophyte
Member # 10864

Icon 12 posted      Profile for hilikus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I workout at least 2 times a week each of muscle building and running/stairs. I started about 3 months ago and have lost 10 pounds and gain several in muscle...keep in mind im a 16yo male. Was just curious about other workout schedules and eating habits...I try to help my mom but she ALWAYS craves things...I almost never crave anything and have cut excesive caffiene etc out of my diet. Maybe you have advice as well?
Thanks

Posts: 20 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congrats, it sounds like you're doing things safely.

first off, make sure your mom is fit to exercise and change her diet. that means, have her talk to her doctor and make sure she has no health conditions that would make a new diet and exerise regimen unhealthy for her.

second, we never endorse fad diets here. So you'll nary hear us say anything nice about no-carb, cabbage soup, see-food, or whatever else diets. We're all in favor of eating balanced meals in moderation.

Moral support is great. Go to the store with her. Instead of buying cookies, grab a bag of apples. Lean turkey instead of fatty beef. Try tofu. Coach her through these things.

Why not go on walks with your mom? you don't have to subject her to mile runs, but it's nice to have a work-out buddy (i'm waiting for mine to get off work).

Anyway, good luck

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hilikus
Neophyte
Member # 10864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilikus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry didnt mention this before. My mom does workout id say about 2 times a week, walks at work, even eats "fairly" good, but still has cravings quite often...great advice about going shopping though, i didnt think about it but definatly will accompany her now.

As for the diet fab thing...my mom lost nearly 70 pounds on the atkins diet..just saying worked for her i guess

Thanks again

------------------
~The problem is only what it makes you~

Posts: 20 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can really relate on those cravings ...

I think the best idea is to give in to them, but only in small amounts. Today i had the biggest craving for doritos ... I came home from class and what-do-ya-know, there's a big bag of them sitting on the fridge. I had a handful, and then i was happy. Then i had an apple ... That got rid of my chip craving, and also filled my tummy so i wasn't hungry anymore.

I find that the longer you ignore those cravings, the more likely you are to binge on them once you do allow yourself to have them.

That may just be a personal view tho ... ?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't recommend the Atkin's diet.
Find out why here: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000001.html

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Why don't you find out for yourself?
Then you'll see the glass hidden in the grass

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Making sure your snacks and meals have a good balance of protein, fat and carbs can help people cotnrol their cravings. Often when you eat something that is just focused on one or two of those components it can lead to having cravings.

Skipping meal is a good way to have cravings so eating at least 3 meals and 2 snacks a day can help. Soem folks prefer 6 mini meals. Basically it means eating something through out the day.

Alos journalling what you eat and why you are eating (how you are feeling) can help you figure out what is going on cravings-wise. Is it boredom? Does it happen only during certain tiems of the day, week or month? Then you can be prepared and choose healthy foods.

Some good snack examples:

whole wheat pita with hummus
pear with some almonds

------------------
-Scarleteen Sexpert

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000100.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000013.html

Two groovy threads on healthy snack ideas.

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.