Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Binding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Binding
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently started binding (aka taping my boobs). Are there any (major) health risks to this practise?
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think we need some additional information..
1. Why are you binding your breasts?
2. For how long?
3. How tight? Are you cutting off circulation?

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say that I know much about this but I did find something that looked helpful: http://www.auntieteck.com/binding/bindex.htm#health

I found a few other things through Google, none that were terribly informative, and the overall impression was it's only slightly more dangerous than wearing a bra. However, there doesn't seem to have been much by way of research done so I'd take everything you find with a grain of salt.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Why are you binding your breasts?
I've begin to get uncomfortable as how they define my gender and how I'm viewed (I'm going through a gender crisis of sorts now).

2. For how long?
On and off for a while, but I just started doing it as a daily practise a few weeks back.

3. How tight? Are you cutting off circulation?
No, not by anymeans. My breathing is a little bit restricted but not tremedously so.

[This message has been edited by DrQuack5 (edited 10-04-2002).]

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the only major risk i can see is if you *do* happen to bind too tightly. the result would be like wearing a tight corset: you can't breath and you are prone to fainting.

it's not like foot-binding where the result is permanent mutilation of the tissue -- you'd have to bind pretty hard to do that, and you'd suffocate first anyway.

------------------
"Things are only fragile till they break."

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.