Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » CIGARETTES (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: CIGARETTES
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...I plan to quit when I graduate (in about 2 years) but that's only a plan.

funny you should mention this. i heard the same thing from all my smoking friends. we graduated in May, and they're all still smoking.

If you want to quit, and are serious about quitting, you should start now. Even by your own accounts, addiction is insidious, so you're aware that this isn't going to be easy. Does your school have any support groups for people who want to quit? for those of you who go to universities, dos your school offer support services for people who want to quit smoking? If so, seek them out!

as tired as the smokers are of hearing non-smokers complain about their habit, i'm also tired of smokers taking resigned attitued that either they cannot quit, or they simply don't want to quit.

------------------
"Things are only fragile till they break."

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniacz
Activist
Member # 3217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maniacz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am a smoker, i smoked becuz of stress due to some serious quarreling with my fren last time. smoking do relieve stress but temporary onli, am quiting smoking becuz someone urge me to quit...........
Posts: 46 | From: singapore | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maharet
Activist
Member # 3806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maharet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't smoke, generally. There have been occasions, though, when I've smoked a cigarette. I can think of maybe three isolated occassions where I've been at a train station etc alone, late at night, and I've felt threatened by other people on the platform. (ie there a large group of them, or they're yelling and swearing etc etc). It's probably more paranoia on my part than anything. But I found that if I went over and asked for a smoke etc, they said "sure" & handed one over. I'd go a little way away, smoke it, throw the butt in the bin, and I'd feel safer, somehow.

It doesn't beat the pepper spray, knowing how to kick effectively or whatever you chhoes to use for self-defence. But there seems to be this sub-culture, or community etc of smokers. Anyone better with words? lol

Posts: 66 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me? I'm a smoker.

I started about 2 years ago. I don't know why I started, It was just something that was always around and always offered. I started off my saying 'No', it started off as casual smoking, but nicotine is addicting.

So I started like that, and I finally quit at the end of grade 8. It was great, and then I started "casually" smoking again last year in grade nine around March, I swore to myself and my friends that I wouldn't start again, and I truly thought that I wouldn't... But I did, and now it's quite the habit that I've been trying Soooo hard to quit. I've made dates to quit.. August 17th, September 18th, October 9th, and my new one is January 1st.

I wish I could quit easily but it's so addicting, and it's just something that helps me when I'm stressed out, or just even when I'm bored.

I find smoking disgusting, even though that's being hypacrytacle, but I don't think you'll find anyone that won't think it's disgusting. It's hard to quit and extremely bad for your health, I don't know why anyone would start!

It's horrible too because cigarettes are always around... almost every kid at my school smokes. Almost every single one of my friends!

It's bad, but my goal is to quit! no matter what, I just have to find the right strategy is all.

It also bothers me that my cravings are taking over my will power, but I don't know what I can do!

anyways, that is just my story and my views on cigarettes.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by celery:
I've been trying Soooo hard to quit. I've made dates to quit...It's horrible too because cigarettes are always around... almost every kid at my school smokes. Almost every single one of my friends!

You know, celery, why don't you form a group of people wanting to quit? There have been numerous studies concluding that it is much easier to get the motivation to study, exercise, quit smoking etc in groups. You can all lean on one another for support, and there is always an understanding ear there for the tough times. As a bonus, it also means you won't be the only non-smoker in the crowd

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hilikus
Neophyte
Member # 10864

Icon 14 posted      Profile for hilikus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another non-smoker here. Never even tryed, but what about marajauna, I have SO many "kinda" friends that do smoke pot and been offered it many time but never taken. Thank god for a girlfriend that would dump me if i smoked

------------------
~The problem is only what it makes you~

Posts: 20 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marijuana smoking is as dangerous as cigarette smoking, if no worse. In most cases, it is not as addictive as nicotine, but there have been recents studies that show that there are certain people who will get addicted to smoking marijuana.

A very recent british study showed that marijuana smoke can contain up to as much carcinogenic material as 20 regular cigarettes. Chalk this up to poor quality control and unfiltered joints.

So yeah, your lungs hate smoke, so breathe **CLEAN** air and you should be fine. And don't cave into peer pressure. you sound like something of health nut so don't blow your chances with drugs.

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harlequin
Neophyte
Member # 11114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for harlequin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
Marijuana smoking is as dangerous as cigarette smoking, if no worse. In most cases, it is not as addictive as nicotine, but there have been recents studies that show that there are certain people who will get addicted to smoking marijuana.

MJ is not physically addictive, like nicotine is. A person can develop a phsychological addiction to it, as they could with any substance. Also, marajuana has legitimate medicinal qualities, and if nicotine has any I'm unaware of them.

And I smoke. I've been smoking for about 10 years (I'm 25 now), and I have no plans to quit. In all honesty, I'm doing very well in that I'm left with exactly one active addiction after 10 years of collecting them, and frankly I don't want to give up this last one. Not now. Not yet. Maybe never.

Posts: 2 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
harlequin, what you do with your body is up to you, however, please understand this: we do not endorse patently illegal or dangerous activities to our users.

moreover, marijuana smoke is smoke and when it gets into your lungs, it still causes damage. and because of a lack of quality control and filtering, that smoke is still far more corrosive than regular cigarette smoke because it has more particulate matter content.

and yes, people who have a propensity towards addictive behaviors can get addicted to marijuana because it is a habitual behavior. is this any better than a physiological addiction? imho, NO because it is still a bhavior that a person has difficulty controlling.

And while i recognize that marijuana may have vaild medicinal qualities (nicotine doesn't, and this i agree, but i'll be hard-pressed to say a nice work about either drug), that still does not mean that it is *safe* to use. It is definitely *not safe* to smoke, but that should go without saying because nothing is ever safe to smoke because you lungs are meant to take in air and nothing else.

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what I am.

I've smoked off and on since I was 12, I quit when I was fourteen and it hasn't really turned back into a habit since. Now that I'm 18 i've picked it up again, I don't know why, maybe because I want to use the privelage that I can buy tobacco products,unlike when I was younger.

Though I'm back to smoking, I don't consider myself a smoker who needs to smoke. I have very few vices, and smoking just happens to be the one that I am using right now. It used to be emotional eating but then I realized smoking takes the edge off of the stress (which is why I used to binge.)

I'm also a conscious smoker. I won't smoke if it offends someone, I go out of my way to avoid smoking in crowded places, etc.

I guess I also smoke because everyone in my family happens to be a smoker and so are most of my friends. And being around them constently makes it hard not to smoke.

I realize it is a nasty habit that makes you stink, turns your teeth yellow and can lead to death. I know that last one all to well (most women in my family have had one form of cancer), but non-the-less I choose to smoke.

(I plan on quitting this january because my friend asked me too, I told him I would try)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IgnorantRhetoric
Neophyte
Member # 11166

Icon 8 posted      Profile for IgnorantRhetoric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a smoker, of tobacco. Marijauna is a healthier substance than tobacco and has many industrial uses. In places such as Amsterdam where soft drugs(IE marijuana) have been PARTIALLY legalized hospitalization due to hard drugs has dropped bellow 1% at times. I think one of the main problems I see on here is you people don't allow yourselves to think for yourselves. You believe everything they tell you in school and on their commercials. If you are so worried about the health issues why don't you lobby to get health care socialized in this country so that the millions of people without healthcare can have an actual chance? I seem to recall that somewhere in the constitution of the United States of America the words "...pursuit of happiness" are uttered. Smoking makes me happy....

I don't plan on quitting now, I might someday but I don't know, I can't see the future. If I decide to quit than I will. I started because I wanted to, there was no peer pressure to it, I started in 8th grade and at the time neither of my parents smoked and none of my friends did. It was a conscience choice made on my part because I wanted to, I had no other reason.

If you have problems with smokers, don't hang out with them. If you do have friends who smoke, let them smoke, you might not want to see them die, but it isn't your choice. on this plaet your chance of dying is 100%, no matter what, the only thing is you don't know when it will happen. why not actually LIVE your life and take some risks? You have a chance of getting lung cancer no matter what, you have a chance of getting shot in the head, it's all one in the same. don't knock anything until you've tried it, I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 people who are non smokers on here who have smoked in the past, more power to them, atleast they made the choice on their own experiences instead of letting the moral majority of this "great" nation do it for them.

It upsets me that so money of you are willing to condemn a smoker as a person who is "bad" because they choose to do it, even if you are trying to quit at some point in time you decided to try it, I've never heard of anyone shoving a cigarette into another persons mouth and commanding them to "INHALE!" show me one instance of this and I will enthusiastidcally call you a liar.

thank you, goodbye.

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 12-28-2002).]

Posts: 2 | From: Huntington, WV, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but as well you know from reading the Guidelines you agreed to when you signed up here it's not okay to post about illegal activity on Scarleteen, and smoking marijuana in the States isn't legal. You're entitled to your opinions, but stating questionable information as fact is also a no-go here. Marijuana smoking isn't really safer than smoking tobacco, especially as joints tend to contain both plants, and the origins and contents of your dime-bag can be pretty iffy. I also don't know what you mean by 'industrial', but if you were referring to pot's medicinal uses, I'd say using it for fun is about as appropriate as trying to get high on cough syrup or penicillin.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Where are my goddamned pants?
BD,SA

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by IgnorantRhetoric:
You believe everything they tell you in school and on their commercials.

of course I believe what they tell me in school. i studied biology -- including physiology --and i consider myself pretty well informed. i have a bachelors degree and am on my way to graduate studies or medical school

If you are so worried about the health issues why don't you lobby to get health care socialized in this country so that the millions of people without healthcare can have an actual chance?

i am concerned with health issues, which is why i am pursuing a career in medicine. i also happen to believe that one ailing bureaucracy (the gov't) isn't going to be much help for another ailing bureaucracy (HMOs) and that the solutions to practical, effective and inexpensive health care are far more complex.

I seem to recall that somewhere in the constitution of the United States of America the words "...pursuit of happiness" are uttered. Smoking makes me happy....

good for you. as a fan of the 9th and 10th amendments, what you do is none of my business. that is until it interferes with my own well being. so as long as i don't have to deal with the externalities of people who do smoke (having to inhale the smoke secondhand, stepping on littered cigarette butts, stepping in spat-out piles of chaw, being taxed extra to cover the Medicaid expenses of people who do smoke and are now suffering from otherwise completely preventable illnesses), then I welcome you to enjoy your 10th Amendment Right to the fullest.

(italics are mine, bold is his)

------------------
Don't be coward like shrimp, be brave like PRAWN!

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 12-28-2002).]

Lost_Blue_Angel
Neophyte
Member # 11158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lost_Blue_Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't find smoking attractive but when i'm seriously stressed i will have a couple of cigarettes-in a way i feel like a hypocrite because my fiance smokes a lot and he tries to smoke less around me - hopefully i'll try and pursuede him to stop.
personally i think that smoking isn't an addiction - thats just an excuse - it's completely psychological-u CANNOT be addicted to anything it's just the fact that u've done it for a long time and ur brain rewinds and tells u to do it over and over and the cycle will continue until YOU decide "i've had enough" .

Posts: 26 | From: England-UK | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would that that were so, Angel.

Unfortunately, nicotene IS chemically as well as psychologically addictive. Chemical addictions are not merely "in someone's head." They have profound physiological effects. Watch someone in detox coming off of a heroin addiction sometime if you doubt that.

Which is why the best plan is never to start at all, or to quit before it has become a serious chemical addiction, because it's a million times easier.

Just a reminder in this thread, by the way: while we are not going to endorse unhealthy behaviours here at Scarleteen -- and smoking certainly is one -- let's please remember that as goes with safer sex, birth control and relationships choices, it is a choice people get to make.

So, when talking about it, I just want to caution everyone with the "shoulds" and "should nots" because they are value judgements and that's also something we try not to do here, even when it does effect others. We don't do it about drinking, or driving cars or birth control the like, and so I just want to make sure we all understand that things like this are no different.

I think it's best put to simply say this, in the same vein we discuss safer sex and birth control: "If you do not wish to seriously compromise your health and the health of others, as well as your general well-being and quality of life, you should not smoke." Because that is the truth of the matter. If you choose to smoke regularly, that's the choice that you're making.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by IgnorantRhetoric:
I seem to recall that somewhere in the constitution of the United States of America the words "...pursuit of happiness" are uttered......

Negggatttiivveeee. I'm not sure what history class you're taking, and I'm not sure if maybe the weed has been playin' games with your head, but there is no place in the United States Constitution that mentions the "pursuit of happiness."

Instead, it is the US Declaration of Independence that mentions several "unalienable rights," including "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." This was used as a means to point out to Great Britain that we were being repressed while we were under their rule, but was not used in any manner as a basis for the US government.

In fact, since the "pursuit of happiness" is not mentioned anyplace in the Constitution, it is not enforceable by the courts, and you have no legal "right" to happiness. You can certainly try to be happy, but you have no legal basis with which to stand if you choose to make yourself happy by doing illegal things. It's Law 101, tiger.

Hate to burst your smoke-filled bubble, but when you're basing an argument on something like that, it tends to be wise to check your sources (i.e. grab a history book) first.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PSOM

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Gumdrop.
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IgnorantRhetoric
Neophyte
Member # 11166

Icon 3 posted      Profile for IgnorantRhetoric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, considering the rise of fascism within the continent of north america, I would like to encourage everyone here to do 2 things. 1) go buy a bag of catnip at your local pet store. smoke it. completely legal buzz, has an odd smell and taste. 2) do research on a nice little central american herb known as **That's dangerous, dude**, yet another great thing to come out of Mexico. this is the only legal Hallucinogen that I know of other than **Hey, those are too**(---ATTN: Milke---that's right, you can get high off of cough syrup. and thats only 1 cough syrup too, plenty of others I could name)and the great thing about ****, as i said before.... COMPLETELY LEGAL, EVEN IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA!!! can you believe it??? maybe you people should see the universe in a new light, I encourage you to go buy some ****, drink enough to make you trip(completely legal!!!!!) make yourself a catnip joint(completely legal!!!!!)and then light up a bowl of some ****(completely legal!!!!!) for a amazingly mind altering experience. maybe you'll see "God" and find out that you've been wrong your entire lives and that you were going to die a horrible death of lung cancer no matter what, and that the government wasn't going to help your poor butt out any.....all because you decided to smoke pot one time and completely disobey them

------------------
why is it that when a couple of middle eastern men fly 2 planes into some buildings it is considered a tragedy, but when the US flys bombers over villages and drops some of their good old Nukes, the people who die are only considered "casualties of war"?

[This message has been edited by IgnorantRhetoric (edited 12-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 12-28-2002).]

Posts: 2 | From: Huntington, WV, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ingest catnip and it'll help your digestion, smoke it and you'll look like an idiot.
Ingest flower seeds known to have psychedelic properties, and you'll get sick because they're sold coated in a toxin so people don't consume them.

Ingest any other prescription or OTC substances and any side effects you suffer will serve you right.

Just because you can get high off something doesn't mean you *should*. I could go take all manner of legal substances, and it might change my perception, but it might also require a trip to the emergency room, or having to explain to friends later why I was acting like a moron. When the Beatles were 'seeing God' they were also making really undignified movies, and setting themselves up for nasty withdrawal symptoms later, and death by lung cancer. I don't see why you or I should expect our experiences to be much different.

Stop suggesting people do dangerous things and accusing incidental and relevant laws of being 'fascist' already. Continue this way and you'll no longer be able to post here. You have been warned.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Where are my goddamned pants?
BD,SA

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna have to side w/ GumdropGirl here ... There is proof to back up the fact that marijuana is addictive, in what ways is really rather irrelevent; the bottom line is is that it can be addictive.

I'm kind of wondering what it is you're running from tho. Why are you so interested in getting high, and what is it providing for you that you can't get any other way? Yes, i know death is inevitable, we all know that ... But we all also know that what time you do have is limited and should be seen as precious. I don't see you as being a person that values life too much right now ... And that's a pity.

What do you want from life, hun? Really and truely ... Can you tell me this is it?

For now, i'm gonna have to suggest that you seek some help ... From a friend, a counselor, a drug counselor ... Someone. As well, you simply cannot go on posting this kind of advice for other users. We won't/can't allow it ... This kind of behaviour is not healthy for you, but what you do w/ your health is your own business. Continue posting such nonsense and you will find your posting privledges revoked.

As well, we have a Support Groups forum w/ a few discussions on depression and drug abuse. Feel free to join us if you wish.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.