Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » stomach noises..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stomach noises..
star51885
Neophyte
Member # 6818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for star51885     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think i have a a problem...My stomach is ALWAYS making noises. Its really annoying. If i eat, i dont eat, in between eating, etc. Usually it seems to happen when i'm nervous or something but it occurs at other times as well. And its really loud! Of course it happens at the quietest moments also. Sometimes i can even make it make noises(if i swallow my spit or move in different positions lol) Does anyone know why this happens? It can be really embarrasing at times! Thanks
Posts: 16 | From: Arlington, MA, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're in luck my friend! I know something about this:

Your stomach and intestines are made of a hollow tube lined with muscle. The muscles contract to move food through your digestive system. When bubbles of air are trapped along the way they can make a growling or gurgling sound.

As long as you aren't having any other symptoms like pains or feeling sick, you are probably fine, everybody's stomachs make odd noises! I know it can be embarrassing - My stomach started rumbling in class once and the teacher thought it was distant thunder!

If you are still seriously worried, talk to your doctor about it! *Badger*

------------------
Rock on Rupert Bear and Bill Badger!

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
earth girl
Neophyte
Member # 7759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for earth girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem - loud rumbling when I'm hungry and loud gurgling when I've eaten. I'd imagine it's merely a part of your normal digestive function and there's little you can do about it, except to perhaps eat some healthy snacks little and often to give your stomach something to "work on" when you want it to be quiet
Posts: 36 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stomach gurgles can also be a sign of a mild allergic reaction. In my case, wheat is a common villian; one hamburger bun and my stomach gets really "conversational."

Any more it's just something I laugh about (my mom, sister, and best friend all have similar problems, and we joke about our innards having conversations). However, you might try keeping a "food diary," recording what you eat (including snacks and drinks) and any symptoms that show up. If you can tie a particular food or foods to your tummy grumbles, then at least you'll know what to avoid when you'd prefer abdominal silence.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehe
my stomach always makes noises when I'm around my boyfriend, and his always makes really loud noises around me too.

But it's because we're both always hungry cuz we never eat before we see eachother, we always eat together.

But anyways, i'm pretty sure your stomach's grumbling noises are perfectly normal, and it shouldn't be embarrassing, me and my boyfriend always joke about it, it's actually pretty funny.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.