Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Need weight gain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need weight gain
Applefritter
Neophyte
Member # 7165

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Applefritter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 5'9" and I'm only 115lb.

When I went to the doctor's a few weeks back, she told me I definitely needed to gain a little weight. Start eating more, etc. I try to eat three meals a day, (in fact I do!) And I try to eat a good portion of healthy foods every time I eat, but sometimes my stomach just can't take anymore. (and I know I've not eaten enough)
I've been doing this for quite some time now, but I don't gain even a milimeter on the scale!
There's also what I think might be a related problem. I've had abdominal pain and fatigue..headaches.
Does anyone think there's a possibility of me having a tapeworm?

I really don't think that's it, because I've been 115lb. for a *LONG* time without change. I think a while back I gained three pounds but lost it right back to 115. What's wrong with me? Why can't I gain any weight? I've had a bunch of anxiety and self-put upon stress. Do you think this could be it?
I'm almost to the point of resorting to weight gain powders. What should I do?

Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should go back to your doctor.

Seriously, we have no way to diagnose what might be wrong with you over the internet. Make another appointment to talk to your doc about what you've been doing to try to gain weight. She may do further tests, and/or she may have you talk to a nutritionist.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sun Wu
Activist
Member # 7018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sun Wu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go back to the doctor and have yourself looked at and see if you really do have tapeworm...

I can understand you though, I eat 5-6 times a day and am lucky if I gain weight. As for diet, go to www.abcbodybuilding.com using IE5+ as your browser (if you don't already) and look up "nutrition." If you want to put on weight, eating like a BBer on a bulk is the best way to go. Starting small then going up is the best way to go.

For instance, here's what I eat in a day:
Meal 1 6:10-30: 2 hard boiled eggs, 3 pieces of bacon, a piece of toast with peanut butter and banana put on it.

Meal 2 8:30 or 9:30 : Whey Protien Shake

Meal 3 10:50 : Rice, another HBed Egg, and/or other leftovers from dinner the night before.

Meal 4 12:00 or 1:00 : 2 Tuna sandwiches, with all the tuna from one tin.

Meal 5 6:00 : Dinner. Rice/Potatoes, with Poultry, Fish or a Red Meat, and vegetables.

Meal 6 9:00 : Leftovers from Dinner, yogurt, maybe an HBed egg, some kind of cheese... depends.

Posts: 117 | From: Where does my name remind you of? well it's wrong! | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
consult a physican before starting any new diet or exercise regimen

about that tapeworm. they're not very common in industrialized societies. but my mother says this about them (she grew up in a developing nation in the 50s, tapeworms and the like were common):

if your feel itching around your anus and see little stringy things hanging around there or in your feces, you have worms.

in those days, grandma would bend you over and pick those things out with tweezers, then give you an enema.

aren't you glad you live in the 21st century?

so anyway, if you have a tapeworm, chances are, you have a few hundred thousand of them. they reproduce rapidly and disperse themselves in your feces (meaning you can see those buggers when you go to the bathroom). they are treatable with medication (no more tweezers and enemas). but unless you've been wading barefoot in ponds a lot, chances are, you don't have one.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, even if it isn't a tapeworm, the abdominal pain, fatigue, and feeling full after eating only small amounts could be indications of a digestive problem or some other illness, which might make it harder for you to put on weight. So checking in with your doc sounds like a good idea.
Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel07
Activist
Member # 8018

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Angel07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well...im not sure, but ive known people who got full after eating just a little and they ended up being constipated..it did happen so maybe thats whats wrong, keeping you from eating a full meal.they would get a stomach ache if they ate a normal portion, you can have the doctor x-ray you,i think,or something and see if thats the problem.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Applefritter
Neophyte
Member # 7165

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Applefritter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that ended up being the problem I think. They took an x-ray, and I was full of it. ^_~ haha, well. I'm okay now I guess. I still am not gaining much weight (and stupid me forgot to ask the doctor about it. how? I have no idea) So I'll just keep trying on my own to gain weight healthily.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.