Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Bodies » Raver Safety

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Raver Safety
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm inspired. I went to a huge rave last night and saw all sorts of people doing insanely dangerous things. So here are some things I wish they would have known last night.

Water. Lots of it. Drink water early and often. Most people don't get sent to the infirmary for overdoses, they get sent because they dehydrate. Dancing for hours straight in a hot and crowded room will definitely expend a lot of sweat.

Know what's in that pill. Do you have any idea what E does to your brain? And that's only ifyou're sure you're getting striaght E. Sometimes nefarious people will cut E with things like DMX (dexmethorpan) or methamphetamine, or even household chemicals. Stay away from these things. They're illegal and they're harmful to your health.

But if you feel you absolutely *HAVE* to experiment (which you don't but you're just gonna do it anyway, aren't ya?), get that pill checked out. http://www.dancesafe.org is a group that looks out for raver safety. They can test your pills for contaminants.

Don't accept drinks or drugs from strangers. This holds true at any party. It goes under the rule "Do you really know what's in that?"

Stop to rest. Yeah, i know when the music's pumping, you don't want to stop, but every now and then your asthma might kick in or you might just be feeling serious fatigue. know your limits and sit out once in a while.

Hmm, i think that covers it for now. anyone comes up with anything else, put it up. Be safe. P.L.U.R.

------------------
oh, don't even po-mo me, baby...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fireryredhead
Neophyte
Member # 7951

Icon 4 posted      Profile for fireryredhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Water. Lots of it. Drink water early and often. Most people don't get sent to the infirmary for overdoses, they get sent because they dehydrate. Dancing for hours straight in a hot and crowded room will definitely expend a lot of sweat.

Not necesscerly.{sp?} Drinking too much water can poison you body. Many teens who rave and do drugs believe the the more water thay drink the faster the drug will flush out, wrong. Where water goes and where E goes are to different systems in your body. As an avid raver myself <useing E> I have seen way too many people make this silly, uneducated mistake.
Besafe in the discions that you make. But Gumdrop Girl, the rest of your advice was excelent, people need to know there limits and take it easy.
Katelin
BTW-Drinking water isnt bad but too much of it can kill ya.

------------------
Books NOT to give your kids:

"POP goes the hampster and other fun mircowave games"

Posts: 12 | From: exhustin' Boston | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drinking water cannot harm your body. If you drink too much, you may feel bloated, but medically -- for the most part -- it can do no harm to your body unless you swallow too much water when, say, drowning, and it gets into one's lungs, or unless there are extenuating conditions.

Drinking water, even a decent amount of it, not only cannot kill you, it cannot usually harm you. Sorry, Katelin, that's just a no-go. If you can find one solid medical source that stands counter to that, I'd be more than happy to look at it. And suffice it to say, I think worrying about harm from E-use is something you're going to want to worry about LONG before you worry about water.

As a note, per the registration guidelines, please don't publicly post any illegal activity you may have participated in, simply to protect yourself.

--

Allow me to correct myself on this, thanks to Laurel. Drinking *reasonable* amounts of water cannot harm you, and drinking any amount of water is highly unlikely to harm you unless you also are not eatingg well, and/or have exerted yourself beyond the point of no return to begin with. I believe that's the simplest way to put it.

And, according to the medical info out there, well before you get to the point where it could cause any harm, you're likely not to be thirsty at that point, or too feel too bloated to take in more. In addition, the cases listed are often in conjunction with drug use or in condtions to begin with in which a person's perceptions were off.

Here's a good link from Laurel: http://mdma.net/waterintox/

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 04-27-2002).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fireryredhead
Neophyte
Member # 7951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fireryredhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz Scarlet: http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/ARTICLE/toomuchwater.htm http://www.mdma.net/waterintox/ http://diabetesinsipidus.maxinter.net/water1.htm http://www.racingtheplanet.com/nutrition/water.html

These are just some of the articles on water intoxication though most of it is geared towards running there is such a thing of dieing from too much water. I know that it is rare but it can happen, especaily when people are on mind enhanceing/ distroying drugs.
Katelin

------------------
Books NOT to give your kids:

"POP goes the hampster and other fun mircowave games"

[This message has been edited by fireryredhead (edited 04-27-2002).]

Posts: 12 | From: exhustin' Boston | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the additional info.

I think though, the perttinent thing here is that a person is MUCH for likely to make themselves ill from not ENOUGH water than they would be for too much.

Sometimes iot's tough when you're giving out advice like this to find the middle ground, but I feel in this context, it's safe to say the larger concern in terms of water should be not getting enough. Make sense?

And in all honesty when it comes to drug use, while given my position I cannot advocate any of it period, I also am not about to go out and say it doesn't happen, or that illegal drugs are by default worse then legal ones, but I will say this: overall, it is simply patently unsafe to engage in drug use in big groups and crowded places. It just is. So, to add to what GG said, what I'd add is if you absolutely must (and don't tell me about it here, again), don't do it at a rave or a party. Do it at home in the context only of people you know well and trust.

We care about all of you. Play safe.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
earth girl
Neophyte
Member # 7759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for earth girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carrying on with this theme, here's a story today from one of the British tabloid newspapers (so excuse the poor journalism). Very odd...

THIRSTY Matthew Davies collapsed and died from drinking too much WATER, an inquest heard yesterday.

Matthew, 32, drank many pints every day — but did not realise it was flushing away his body’s vital chemicals.

He died from the rare condition of water intoxication.

Matthew’s father Gwilym told the inquest: “He drank water in preference to tea or coffee.

“He drank water to excess and also drank a lot of orange juice. He was at home on the day he collapsed but he had not drunk more than usual.”

He revealed Matthew had been living in a caravan in the drive of the family home in Llandudno, North Wales.

He added: “Matthew was very strong but we were concerned about the cold and damp.”

Pathologist Donald Wayte told the Caernarfon inquest: “He’d drunk so much water it had washed away essential salts from his body.

“He went into a coma. Scans revealed his brain had swollen.”

“Blood was taken for tests and it was found to be diluted.

“It was concluded he was suffering from water intoxication.”

Matthew was being treated for schizophrenia — and was prescribed tablets a few days earlier which may have increased his thirst.

No one knows how much water the jobless bachelor drank each day.

But even drinking five litres in five hours can be deadly.

His family last night called for the perils of too much water to be highlighted.

Mum Sandra said: “Matthew had an excessive thirst and over time the water content in his body reached dangerous levels.

“It is hard to believe something as harmless as water could have caused his death.

“We’d got used to caring for him because of his serious medical condition, but his death came as a real shock. We’re just incredibly sad.”

Posts: 36 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Ah, collective brainstorming! This is really one of the best uses of the boards. It makes me happy.

All this given, why don't we just make an adjustment, since those rare cases (when you're not talking about combining the issues with using E) seem to all be based in salt/electrolyte imbalances: either put some salt and lemon in your water, or do gatorade or a drink like it with your water.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were just talking about drinking too much water in my psych class the other day. My professor was relating a story about a group of recovering alcholics in a detox ward. Apparently first one man, and then all of them picked up their beds and moved them into the bathroom. The staff at first thought this was just some weird behavior (when the first man did it), but then they got suspicious after all the men moved their beds. It turns out they were drinking excessive amounts of water because it produces a euphoria similar to what you experience drinking. So, I guess my point is that you're not going to consume that much water during a rave most likely, and that if you do, you're going to have to spend the entire time in the bathroom getting rid of it.

Anyway, I've never really attended anything like that. To be honest, those sorts of things scare me.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend goes to raves. He swears that he doesnt do any drugs. So I believe him. He said that he never even tried it, but he has got offered a million times. That makes me proud because the people that he goes with does all those drugs. My boyfriend is into the glowstix.

My boyfriend doesnt seem like a raver, hes a big huge prep that loves his girlfriend!
Really though, he doesnt seem like one. But he really enjoys going to them.

I myself, have never been to a rave, but I have been to night clubs. (I love clubin!)

I trust my boyfriend to do the right thing. I believe my boyfriend when he says that he has never done any of those drugs. Sometimes I feel uneasy, maybe because I dont know what raves are like.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

Monk N Bear~ Best Friends Forever! ~Luv ya babe!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

“One ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Heather Corinna

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.